Low poly vehicle TSOs wanted

It's been surprisingly hard to find simple car objects. I've found some at the Nurburgring which are okay, but they're all Mercs and BMWs. That hardly matters to people who are driving, but if there's a car park which gets seen from a trackside camera, it might look a bit odd.

So does anyone know of any other sets of low poly cars?

Couldn't find anything on Google :/

edit (16th March): see this post

The ones at the 'ring have a limit of about 40, so that seems like a reasonable figure, though I don't mind a few more. That figure also includes a black rectangle to mimic a shadow. And don't forget to ask your friend to put all car images in a single texture to keep the material count as low as possible ;)

Great - they will be maybe little more complex, but I saw some samples and they were great. Yes, exactly I want the same thing - to put them on one texture. I can't promise it will be tomorrow, but I need them to ;)

hi guys, i remember reading in another thread here about the texture sheet concept, which i've adopted as well. It turns out the correct name is a Texture Atlas, incase you were wondering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_atlas
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/texture_atlas_tools.html
i haven't used the nvidia tool yet, i've been doing it manually, but it sounds good.

here is a good read on the topic (from the wiki page) - including some limitations in the last section
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2530/practical_texture_atlases.php

i don't remember which other thread it first came up in, but feel free to post the links there too.
Happy New Year!

Thanks Woochoo for this - it makes me even more sure of it. In RBR they called it Object Texture Plate (Opaque or Transparent), and textures with single images were called Superbowl - I don't know why was that, but sounds funny ;)
So, if you agree, "sheet" will be more coloquial :)

Haha, i don't mind if you call them sheets, but i do like the cleverness of atlas, since a collection of maps is called an atlas, and these are texture maps afterall.

Anyway, last night i decided that Longford needs some spectator cars, and some touring cars in the paddock area, so i made a start on an FX/FJ Holden and a Mini. I've got another four or five planned. I'm not the greatest car modeler, but when they're done i see no reason why i wouldn't Xpack them.
The Holden is around 160 polys i think, the Mini is around 80.
[BTB screen]
btb21.jpg

Hmm, the cars I mentioned earlier are not low poly... they are very detailed, but look great :)
Anyway, If you like, I can put into xpack cars from RBR - separated from the game and on one texture etc.
The cars are rather simple models - there are also two trucks.
If you know any xpack with cars you are interested in- let me know - I'll try to attach them to the "texture atlas" :)

Thanks mate, but i think i'll settle for the few i'll make myself. I don't really want to have stuff in my track from other games, i'm trying to make as much of it myself as i can. And my cars will be old 1950s/60s cars found in australia, so it's going to be a fairly specific collection. thanks anyway. i'm sure plenty of other people might be interested in your pack

@ Woochoo - I understand and I have similar approach. But I still can't create them myself. Your cars are perfect to match your needs.
Ok, I will make some xpack with cars soon. Maybe somebody will find it usefull. Anyway, I think still the best idea is to make texture atlases dedicated to tracks - then they work the best. In other case some items will always left unused.

Anybody from Australia, who or whose families/friends suffer from the flood - let me show my compassion on it. I hope it will end soon!

I had a similar idea a few months ago, where, we as a community, build an xpack of stand alone cars. Here is my original thread on the subject.
http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/36275-spectator-parked-vehicle-car-xpack.html

Yes you did and yes Im aware of the funny videotrace, lot of enthousiastic guys are waiting for the release for years now ;)

Never was into cars but I will build one for our communtity Cars_Xpack, give me some time. And yes as low poly's as possible ;)

I had a similar idea a few months ago, where, we as a community, build an xpack of stand alone cars. Here is my original thread on the subject.
http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/36275-spectator-parked-vehicle-car-xpack.html

hmm, working on some car but what do we think is an acceptable amount of poly's ?
A square is low poly but a car need some smooht lines right ? so are we talking about 100, 200, 300, 400 ?
Whats the maximal acceptable ?

Proberly we pass those stand alone cars with 200 km/hr so doesnt need to be too detailled.
But must look like a car right ?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing