Louder Engines "Essential" for Formula One in the Future According to Wolff

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wolff claims F1 engines must be louder in future.jpg

AMG Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has echoed many Formula One fans opinions by recently stating it is "essential" that Formula One have louder engines in the future.

Since the Hybrid generation of Formula One engines made their debut in 2014 many fans have been left cold by the relatively quiet noise output of the current units, feeling that one of the most essential aspects to the Grand Prix experience has been lost somewhat in the quest to conquer new technologies by the racing manufacturers.

Producing impressive performance and fuel economy in comparison to the traditional combustion engine of years past, the current Hybrid just doesn't sound fast and gone is the sometimes violent and brutal screams of high revving V8's / 10's and 12's of previous seasons.

Understandably Formula One needs to stay ahead of the technology trends, but at what cost should this be achieved asks some of the fans and insiders alike. In a recent statement it appears that AMG Mercedes head man Toto Wolff is inclined to agree with those voices raising concerns about the audio element of Formula One racing.

"Why do people say 'rev the engine and go, go go'?" said Wolff. "With everything going hybrid on the road, going efficient, and going autonomous, watching racing cars is still an audio-visual exercise.

"You can see the cars going fast, but the sound is very important. It gives us the perception of power and speed.

"I think maybe with the current generation of engines we have forgotten to take care about this point.

Targeting the next raft of regulation changes due when the current Concorde Agreement expires at the end of 2019, Wolff is keen to ensure the element of engine noise is taken into account by the decision making parties responsible for drafting the next set of rules in which Formula One must adhere.

"Having said that, I don't think it is completely bad. But with 2020, when we do the new engines, quality of sound should be an essential part. It is very important."

"We are having a situation in F1 of having four major car constructors that are supplying engines," said Wolff.

"You can choose from the best sportscar producer in the world, Ferrari; the best global road brands, Honda, Renault, and probably the number one premium brand Mercedes – of course!

"That is a situation that didn't exist in many eras of F1, that we have four possible suppliers, so if we can find a formula that allows an independent engine supplier to enter F1 after 2020 that is good".

"I am 110 percent convinced that F1 needs to be a technology formula – that bolting in an eight -cylinder naturally aspirated engine is not the way we should go because F1 would lose its DNA. It needs to be the most powerful, the fastest possible engine and where the best technology goes."

So with an eye on remaining ahead of the technology of today, but with a renewed focus on giving fans trackside and watching on TV an enjoyable and emotional experience, plus the renewed willingness to think outside the box and cater to the paying audience by Liberty Media, 2020 could well see a shift back towards the Formula One 'experience' so desired by fans who remember hearing a Ferrari V12 roar past the pits at close to 20,000rpms.

For myself, any improvement to the audio experience just cant come soon enough.

For more Formula One news check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and become part of our awesome racing community.

Do you agree with Wolff that engines in Formula One need to be louder in future? Are you happy with the current Hybrid rules in Grand Prix racing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
This...because guess where all the R&D money is going? Electric.
I disagree. Even someone in F1 just stated that quiet cars won't cut it. Personally I think electric cars are a fad. It seems everyone's on board, but I'm not, nor are many others. Of course companies want to invest in it. They think it's the way of the future and don't want to be left behind. Quiet cars are fine for some if that's what THEY want. Many of us don't want it. Even if YOU insist we have it. Thanks, but no. Electric Racing = Boring.

It's nice to see somebody in F1 bring this issue to light. It's not as big of a deal to me as it is to other fans, but I'd like to see them revert back to straight petrol not because of sound reasons, but for more exciting competition. The V8s in the 2012 season led to a different race winner for the first 8 races, and it was much more exciting. I'd rather see that come back over sound.

The sound difference is clearly audible and this years is definitely a step in the right direction
This would be a step in the right direction :)
And that stupid budget argument needs to be off the table. I rather have 12 McLarens and Ferraris filling the grid with V12 monsters than a parade of 20 hybrids driver by teams that can barely keep their heads above the water..

We need the F1 sound back :D

They do not need Louder engines, they need to get rid of this modern engines completely, and bring back:
Normally aspirated 3.5L engines open to v6 v8 v10 v12 as any manufacturer prefers, and cap rpm to 14000rpm

I disagree. Even someone in F1 just stated that quiet cars won't cut it. Personally I think electric cars are a fad. It seems everyone's on board, but I'm not, nor are many others. Of course companies want to invest in it. They think it's the way of the future and don't want to be left behind. Quiet cars are fine for some if that's what THEY want. Many of us don't want it. Even if YOU insist we have it. Thanks, but no. Electric Racing = Boring.
thats not how any of it works.

I saw a few GPs with the V8 engines... I especially remember the new 2012 Caterham struggling to achieve smooth gear changes during Friday testing. They ran it rich, and is it zipped past the grandstand and hit 4th, 5th, and 6th gear, the backfire pop was so dramatic I could feel the punch of it in my chest as it accelerated away.

Hybrids don't seem to do that :sleep:

F1_2012_Jerez_test_-_Caterham.jpg

you do know that the fastest cars have always taken massive resources to build, right? do i need to spell it out for you? it isn't about what you want, it's about what mercedes/audi/toyota/ferrari/etc etc etc do. internal combustion engines aren't going to be powering cars for much longer. fans of top level autosport have to adapt to new sounds, tragedy that it is.

youre in a terribly marginal position & no one of significance is going to care if you think motorsport is dead because it doesn't sound how you'd like it to.

as for F1 regressing to naturally aspirated anytime remotely soon, forget it. theyre not going to let LMPs beat the tar out of them because its aurally pleasing to the remaining fans.

how do you know electric racing is boring, btw? formula E? lol

the best technology is inevitably going to be all-electric, so...whatever.
You are obviously a tree hugging hippy :p. I hope you enjoy your electric motorsport sat with your 2000 strong crowd in the stadiums. Mind you, you could have 50,000 spectators but 48,000 would be asleep.

I agree with yusupov. Even tho electric cars will make basically no sound, it's the way to go and it seems stupid to just stop improving that technology simply because it sounds bad. Many things change with the years in almost everything we know even tho we don't like changes. I don't think F1 will ever become full-electric because of Formula E.

Of all the problems F1 has, this really isn't one of them.

I think the boss of the team whose primary path to victory is via horsepower just wants some freer restrictions for his engineers. :D

(I do miss the sounds of the V10 era, truth be told. But you can only do so much with a turbo in the mix.)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 343 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%