Lotus 79 setups

Post your Lotus 79 setups here!

===============================================================================
Spa-Francorchamps by Stuart Whitehead

Qual and Race sets For Spa.

Qual set has done a 2.03.196 with an optimal of 2.02.7xx

Race set has 18.5g of fuel which should just make a 30 lap race at Spa. Add 1 more click of fuel to be extra safe.

Newcomers to the Car might want to add an extra click of wing all round for extra stability, or 1 on the front and 2 on the rear for even more safety. you can always decrease the wing again as you get used to it.

Attachments

• SW_Spa_Lotus_Q v4.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 820
  • SW_Spa_Lotus_R v1.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 725
Thanks for the setup Stuart, I will download them when I get home. 18g of fuel, so I guess no one will be pitting? I did some laps yesterday with about half that fuel and could only manage a 2:08.xxx. Hopefully that time will drop by my Sunday race. I really like this car, not sure if it feels the same about me.

With your race setup I was able to knock .8 of second off my PB, that says alot since I am now carrying twice as much fuel. I put in about 30 laps last night and I am feeling better and better about the car. I'm still slow but atleast I am no longer the last guy on the timesheet.

Just the ability to keep it on the black stuff for 30 laps will put you in a favourable position me thinks :)

Just remember the car will move from understeer to quite oversteery over the 30 laps. The last 5 or 6 laps can be quite tricky. Try to not slide too much or the rear tyre wear will be a lot worse than the fronts and that will make it very nasty towards the end of the race.

Stuart you are so right, after a few laps last night I noticed in the garage that my rear tires were down to %60 while my front were at %70. I don't think I have ever seen that before with any of the other cars.

Smoothness is just one of the many things that I need to work on. When I go back and look at my replays it is clear to see that I jump on the gas out of the corners too much with this car. Another thing I noticed is that I was going down to 1st sometimes when others only go down to 2nd, getting back on the gas in 1st is usually when it gets sideways alittle. I read the track guide on the board and generally when he says that "you can take this corner in 3rd" I find myself having to go down to 2nd. Really the only ones that I can take in his suggested gear are the higher speed corners. I'm thinking that I am slowing down to much for corner entry and then trying to make up for it on exit and burning the tires off.

Just had a look at the track guide and he's spot on with the gears.

You never use 1st gear in the Lotus (apart from the start of course :) ) There's just not enough traction in first and you'll just spin the tyres up and burn them off in no time at all.

Check out the replay I posted in the Spa thread. It doesn't show the gears, but I'm using the gears recommended in the track guide. Whilst you cant expect to drive it that fast it should at least give you a good idea as to where you can make up some time.

As I said before I love this car! Someone passed this setup to me and it works great for me here. This is one of my fav tracks and with this setup I was able to jump up to decent times on my first time here with this car.

Attachments

• Road_America_race.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 591
Best lap so far with Qual set 1.49.761

:pray:You are the man. The fastest I've seen in practice was a 1.50.xx and I thought that was crazy fast. My goal for the week was to break into the 53s, my best so far is a 1.53.23 I'm pretty happy with that for now. If I can run mid pack in the race and keep the inc down I will consider it a good run. Thanks for the set, I will try them when I get home.

Here's some setups I collected from the iRacing forum during my season in the Lotus 79. The car is a blast to drive once you get the hang of it. It's a drifter's heaven. I got in top 5 overall using these sets.

Attachments

• 2011 S4 - Watkins Glen - Erik Nixon - Q.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 2011 S4 - Watkins Glen - Erik Nixon - R.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 548
  • 2011 S4 - Zandvoort - Mark Mullineux - Q.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 521
  • 2011 S4 - Zandvoort - Mark Mullineux - R.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 529
  • 2011 S4 - Spa - Mark Mullineux - Q2.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 520
  • 2011 S4 - Spa - Mark Mullineux - R.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 2011 S4 - Oulton Park - Erik Nixon - Q.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 529
  • 2011 S4 - Oulton Park - Erik Nixon - R.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 562
  • 2011 S4 - Mosport - Mark Mullineux - Q.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 512
  • 2011 S4 - Mosport - Mark Mullineux - R.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 509
Here are some publicly posted setups from various sources. EN is Erik Nixon.

Attachments

• EN12S2_WatkinsBoot_Practice_EV1.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 474
  • Watkins_John Dolan_2012_S2_4.5.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Watkins_John Dolan_2012_S2_14.5.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 469
  • Watkins_Nathan Johnson_2012_S2_13.5.sto
    1.4 KB · Views: 511

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes