Lotus 25 turn in improvement ?

I know its got skinny tires, but this car should turn in better.Right now it plows like a truck.
Is there any way to improve this with the setup somehow? I tried a few things last night like tire pressures and springs, but it didn't seem to have much effect.

Does the default setup for the Lotus 25 tend to make it understeer a lot ? It should be similar to a F-Vee, obviously with more power, but the layout is about the same.
So I'm hoping to getting the handling about the same.

Does the default setup for the Lotus 25 tend to make it understeer a lot ? It should be similar to a F-Vee, obviously with more power, but the layout is about the same.
So I'm hoping to getting the handling about the same.
Fvee and lotus 25 are completely different cars.
They shouldnt handle similar at all. Even the tires have a world of difference.

Soften the front, stiffen the tear, lowet tire pressures ar the front, raise at the rear. And if you haven't killed your virtual self already, positive camber at the rear.

If it had somewhat modern tires I would say give toe in at the front, but I am not really sure on how ply tires react to it.

I will take it for a spin today and report back but regarding layouts:
Try the road lotus evora and then the gte version... Thought they would be quite similar, they are not :p over a minute difference on the Nordschleife with similar engine and same look. A world of difference :)

Sooo I just did a "few" laps at Okayama. ABS and TC on to negate my pedal skill factor. I used 40 psi on all tires which was good for all setup tweaks. Did you adjust them

My observation:
- nice turn in, almost too fast
- massive mid corner understeer
- quite oversteery corner exit when you put your foot down

So in my opinion you don't want to aim for a faster turn in, as that won't really result in less understeering mid corner!

My steps with finding the setup of the second video:
- lower front ARB: slower turn in, better mid corner, oversteery at corner exit
- lower rear arb a bit for better exit traction
- lower power differential for less oversteering at exit
- more front camber to give a bit more "bite" mid corner but less grip at entry and exit
- raise rear toe for a bit less "coming around" at corner entry and exit
- raise front toe to reduce initial turn in at higher speeds
- raise coast differential to make braking more stable
- more rear camber. Feels like the rear is sliding because of not enough camber...

Then fine tuning everything a bit and I could really push this little car around :)
I attached my setup for you to try!

My Laptimes:
- final setup: 01:50.488
- default setup: 01:51.413

Here are the videos of my best laps:

Attachments

• Okayama_BaseLine_RasmusP.ini
    1.1 KB · Views: 499
Not using ABS or TC, so settings may be quite different.This car should throttle off oversteer, but it doesn't, but with a few settings its getting there,I 've already lowered the front pressures just a bit, maybe 28 front and 32 rear.
As far as layout though the Lotus and Vee are pretty much the same, but they don't show it on the track, its almost as If the weight center is too far forward on the Lotus.
I'd like to try driving a real Lotus 25, but I'm sure thats not going to happen !

I hope RasmusP won't get mad with my comment, but I would suggest the complete opposite of what he said :D You really want to make this car as loose as you possibly can handle. So more power diff, less coast diff. More rear ARB, overall stiffer rear suspension. Reduce camber everywhere to make the car less stable. Move break bias to the rear. You want to 4 wheel drift this tub into every corner ;)

Laptime: 1:47:551

I hope RasmusP won't get mad with my comment, but I would suggest the complete opposite of what he said :D
Don't worry! I'm always happy to learn something new, different styles etc! :)
I only really raced the Tatuus F4 the last 3 months so I approached it a bit biased :roflmao:
Also just learnt the track. My line was probably crap too :cautious:

Could you post your exact setup so I can test it? :geek:

Cheers man for the awesome lap you nailed there! :coffee:

So basically it does tend to understeer then doesn't it? But that looked like a good lap, not sure If I would even try driving without a wheel, but you do very well.
So far I think I have the R tyres at 33 and F tyres at 28 psi. Higher pressures at rear seem to help it from being so twitchy. When I tried lower pressures at the rear the car gets very unstable. Still playing with spring rates.
But now I can get inside cars on turns, where before that was literally impossible.
Braking is hard, not much between full on and locking up, but then I'm using a Non FFB wheel.

How about learning the car first? I can make it oversteer or understeer in every cornering phase with the default setup just by adjusting my driving style.
The only thing I would adjust is the ride height to make it more predictable.
Just my 2 cents.

So basically it does tend to understeer then doesn't it? But that looked like a good lap, not sure If I would even try driving without a wheel, but you do very well.
So far I think I have the R tyres at 33 and F tyres at 28 psi. Higher pressures at rear seem to help it from being so twitchy. When I tried lower pressures at the rear the car gets very unstable. Still playing with spring rates.
But now I can get inside cars on turns, where before that was literally impossible.
Braking is hard, not much between full on and locking up, but then I'm using a Non FFB wheel.

Yes, overall it is a bit understeery. You have to provoke turn in oversteer somehow. Very low coast setting, more rear break bias, stiffer suspension, scandinavian flick :D.I wouldn't overinflate the rears compared to fronts that much. I actually had equal pressures on three tires for that lap (only front left was 1 click lower than the rest). Did you try to lower brake pressure to not lock up?

Last edited:
I tried changing the ride height and it didn't change things that much. With the changes it at least turns in a little better, and I get a slight power on oversteer to point the car now. Its Ok, but it really should handle closer to the Lotus and Ferrari early F1 cars. I was watching some video of the Lotus 25 and it seems very nimble and quick to turn in, but of course with much less power oversteer like the later cars, because it just didn't have huge amounts of power. It should be a nimble and tossable car.

Have you tried playing around with the diff coast setting? You could even try shifting the brake bias much more to the rear but I wouldn't recommend it :p

I'm not great with setups but with the one I'm using the car struggles to turn in quickly when coming off the brake in slow turns so I had better luck pointing it towards the apex mid braking zone.

The car is definitely slower in AC than real life though, good luck matching the 1:34.4 Jim Clark did at Silverstone or the 1:38.9 he did at Monza Road Course! There was a discussion on the official forums about the car and according to one guy the top speed it is currently hitting at Monza is about right so it must be slow into, through or out of the corners (or all of the above.)

Here's a lap of Silverstone 1967 without aids in VR. I have attached the setup to this post:

Attachments

• last.ini
    1.1 KB · Views: 528
Sooo I just did a "few" laps at Okayama. ABS and TC on to negate my pedal skill factor. I used 40 psi on all tires which was good for all setup tweaks. Did you adjust them

My observation:
- nice turn in, almost too fast
- massive mid corner understeer
- quite oversteery corner exit when you put your foot down

So in my opinion you don't want to aim for a faster turn in, as that won't really result in less understeering mid corner!

My steps with finding the setup of the second video:
- lower front ARB: slower turn in, better mid corner, oversteery at corner exit
- lower rear arb a bit for better exit traction
- lower power differential for less oversteering at exit
- more front camber to give a bit more "bite" mid corner but less grip at entry and exit
- raise rear toe for a bit less "coming around" at corner entry and exit
- raise front toe to reduce initial turn in at higher speeds
- raise coast differential to make braking more stable
- more rear camber. Feels like the rear is sliding because of not enough camber...

Then fine tuning everything a bit and I could really push this little car around :)
I attached my setup for you to try!

Thank you so much for uploading your setup! I have been using it tonight around a 26km Nordschleife-ish circuit that I am working on, and the Lotus 25 now feels how I imagined it would when I first got it for AC. Much more pointy, nimble and definitely much more fun! It also enabled me to get from last to first within the first lap against the AI drivers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back