jose maria lopez.jpg
WTCC three time champion and Formula E driver Jose Maria Lopez will compete in the World Endurance Championship with Toyota.

Toyota have announced they will run a three car line up at Spa and Le Mans this year, but Lopez will compete in the series full time, racing with Mike Conway and Kamui Kobayashi.

“This is a dream come true for me and I can’t wait to get to the first race,” Lopez said. “Mike and Kamui are both great teammates; I will learn plenty from them I am sure.

“Driving an LMP1 car is very different compared to WTCC cars but I am enjoying this challenge… I am looking forward to my first experience of WEC and particularly Le Mans which is a very special race.”

His new WEC commitments may pose a problem for his Formula E campaign, as the New York double header is set to clash with the 6 hours of Nurburgring. He isn’t the only driver at Toyota that faces that problem, though.

Sebatien Buemi is set to continue with the team, and has already said his WEC commitments take priority over Formula E. He’ll be joined by Anthony Davidson and Kazuki Nakajima.

Stephane Sarrazin will be the lead driver of the third Toyota entry, though his teammates are yet to be confirmed.

“I believe this is an exciting time for TOYOTA GAZOO Racing in endurance racng,” said team president Toshio Sato. “Entering three cars for Spa and Le Mans represents a new challenge for our team. We are working hard to be prepared and we are inspired to win.

“I would like to welcome Jose Maria to our team; I am confident he will fit in well as he is quick, intelligent, and a strong team player. Our existing driver have already proven their abilities in endurance racing; all are race winners and we are very happy to work together again.”

The car numbers will be announced later today. The team will present their 2017 line up and their cars on the 31st of March ahead of the official test.

For more WEC news and discussions head over to the World Endurance Championship sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

How do you think Lopez will fare in the championship? Let us know in the comments below!

As posterd above, Pechito dominated WTCC during his official career at Citroen Team, and as Argentinian, I´m glad to see a local dirver to race in one of the most (if no THE most) important racing series nowadays.

Can´t wait for WEC Champ to starts!

BTW, Toyota has already confirmed 3 cars to race at Spa and Le Mans, 2 cars to compete on remaining races.

Source: http://toyotagazooracing.com/release/2017/other/0202-01.html

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back