1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to move out of console racing into iracing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MikeA63, Jul 13, 2016.

1. First i guess i should say hello,i have been racing Nascar for a few years on xbox 360,and honestly not willing to shell out money for a xbox one to race the same game in a new package,guess i should also say i only race online anymore ai racing just is so boring,so thats why looking to get into iracing,problem is i am disabled and have a very limted budget, maybe 500us dollars to spend on a newer pc mine is 7 years old,100 to 150us on a wheel,the tracks and cars i will work on as i go,since really only looking to run ovals roadcourses because of my disablity might be to much of a challenge till i get things down,i was wondering if anyone could recommend a prebuilt pc and wheel,thanks for reading any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

Hi Mike, and welcome to Race Department. What are your PC specs, a lot of the older games run well on older machines and if the CPU is okay then some extra ram and a newer GPU may be all you need.
    As far as I'm aware iRacing doesn't require a heavy duty PC.to run smoothly.
  3. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

Hi Mike and welcome to Race Department. What are your PC specs, if the CPU is reasonable then some added ram and a new GPU might be all you need. As far as I'm aware, iRacing runs pretty smoothly on quite low spec machines, you can turn the eye candy down to help.
    As to wheels, then at the moment the best entry level one seems to be Thrustmaster T150.
    Maybe get some help in this thread I'm sure some one will be able to answer your questions.
  4. quicksilver384

Professional ginger and crash test dummy. mmm mmm. Staff

Welcome. I just ran a quick check on a popular site for you for the PC Spec for iRacing and it shows as:

CPU: Intel Core i3, i5, i7 or better, or AMD Bulldozer or better
    CPU Speed: Info
    RAM: 6 GB (8 GB for Intel Integrated Graphics)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 2xx series or better / AMD 5xxx series or better / Intel HD Graphics 4200+ or better with 1 GB dedicated video memory
    Sound Card: Yes
    Free Disk Space: 10 GB
    Hope this helps
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PC is an old Compac 2gb memory dual core processor,i looked into upgrading it a couple years ago to get better gaming performance,honestly just didn't seem worth the hassle and really need to upgrade anyway, and want to use this one to strictly do graphics with, i am into doing animation and paints which is part of my interest in iracing,the ablity to reskin your car and have others see it is a big draw for me to it, my avatar is a nascar 14 paint i did on 360 but as you prob know no one else can see them online and you can't share them.Think it would be a blast to do paints for myself and maybe others if they liked mine,also i would only be using 1 screen so as far as i understand it brings down the specs alittle to get a good frame rate i am not very well versed in the hardware side of pcing.And thank you for replys

So far looking online this one sounds like the best deal at 475us but like i said pretty much dum when it comes to hardware
    CybertronPC - Borg-Q Desktop - AMD FX-Series
    AMD Quad-Core FX-4130 Processor with NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 graphics

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer su
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 graphics
    Feature 1GB dedicated video memory for lush, rich gaming visuals. An HDMI output allows simple connection to an HDTV or other high-definition display (not included).
    4 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    Enables quick and easy wired Web connection.

Yes i know building on my own would be cheaper just don't have the knowledge and well i have some problems with my hands so handling small objects is almost impossible
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016