Looking to ditch my PS4 to get into PC sim racing

So, as the title says, I'm looking to ditch my PS4, with its delays in patches, lack of modding and ridiculous pay to play online structure for PC gaming. I've been wanting to go PC for quite a while but have only recently gotten the go ahead from the wife when I told her she could play the sims on it.

I don't really need a super computer or anything like that as it will be connected to our 46" 1080p TV.

I recently found this sale and was wondering if this would work well for racing in 1080p with close to three digit fps on titles like AMS, AC, Pcars2, ect and whether it's a good deal or not. Disregard the vr headset that comes with it as I don't see myself racing in VR due to my poor eyesight.

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...-hdd-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-1060-win10/B0009246

I'm not very techsaavy, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I'm in Canada so if the price seems high, remember our dollar is about $.75 to the American dollar, currently.

Last edited:
That system would be more than adequate to achieve your goal in 1080p and replacing a console. If you quit reading right now and bought that system I don't think you would have any regrets. BUT...Points to consider:

Obtaining significant FPS greater than what the display can process are not necessary required. However future proof you graphics card is something I would advocate. See if you can save a few bucks here and there, take the savings and buy the GPU that fits in the budget, maybe a GTX1070.

i7 may be a bit more horsepower than needed, an i5 would be plenty, could save a few bucks

Based on how much software you plan on having, a single larger SSD may be desirable (I have 6 racing sims and nothing else on my PC with less than 512 GB used). However, if you plan on having this as a multi media device a large HDD such as what is offered may be desirable.

8GB RAM will do fine, 16 is nice but again may not be used. This system has DDR3, most these days are using DDR4. May able to have less GB but upgrade to DDR4 for a similar cost.

In short of building your own from scratch you may want to consider a game PC build site like Dell, Alien or CyberPower PC as the allow wider choice than a big box store.

Upvote 0
That system would be more than adequate to achieve your goal in 1080p and replacing a console. If you quit reading right now and bought that system I don't think you would have any regrets. BUT...Points to consider:

Obtaining significant FPS greater than what the display can process are not necessary required. However future proof you graphics card is something I would advocate. See if you can save a few bucks here and there, take the savings and buy the GPU that fits in the budget, maybe a GTX1070.

i7 may be a bit more horsepower than needed, an i5 would be plenty, could save a few bucks

Based on how much software you plan on having, a single larger SSD may be desirable (I have 6 racing sims and nothing else on my PC with less than 512 GB used). However, if you plan on having this as a multi media device a large HDD such as what is offered may be desirable.

8GB RAM will do fine, 16 is nice but again may not be used. This system has DDR3, most these days are using DDR4. May able to have less GB but upgrade to DDR4 for a similar cost.

In short of building your own from scratch you may want to consider a game PC build site like Dell, Alien or CyberPower PC as the allow wider choice than a big box store.

Thanks for the response.

I honestly don't really know much about PC's or their components. My wife saw the sale and asked her brother about the system and he said it was a hell of a deal. I would love to build my own PC or custom order one but I would honestly have no idea what I was doing and seeing as this would be my first of dedicated to gaming, I really wanted to try to get a prebuilt system.

I'm really kind of capped at around $1300 as the wife isn't really comfortable with me even spending that much.

I just want something that will last me for a while before I have to start putting money back into it, which is the reason I liked having the i7 but if I'm going to have to turn around in a year or two and spend $700 on a new graphics card, I guess I'll keep looking around for something else.

Upvote 0
IMO research! you can pick up a reasonable deal which will not even hit your 1300 budget
you can go either AMD or intel
the cheaper scale of course are the older amd chips like the 6 and 8 core 6 and 8 series
intel have several generations of the processors so check on cpu benchmark and aim for one with the similar budget of the AMD processors. you will always pay a little more for intel

a graphics card in the uk for a 1050ti 4 gig is around £150ish and for a 1060gtx 6gig is about £270

all depends if you want to learn how to build a machine if your not swayed by it expect to pay slightly more for less.

all pc's will cost money and they are redundant by the time they are put together, to future proof it you will have to spend a bit more. but as an entry you can start off cheaper before going all out and finding out it might not be for you.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 208 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years