1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Looking for tutorial on making objects for Xpacks

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by tim722, Aug 25, 2009.

1. tim722

tim722

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to BTB, having just purchased a license. The tools provided by Brendon's app are outstanding.

I would like to find a tutorial on making Sobjects and regular objects to be included in an Xpack. I would like to know specifics like scale, object placement, rotation, etc, so that the created object can be imported into an Xpack, and then into BTB.

I tried my hand at it, and added an object from a 3ds file, but the model was not at all right. I used 3ds max to create it. I positioned at world (0,0,0). The collada .dae I created from the same model would not import at all. I made sure all polys had texture mapping and texture applied. I did use a multi-sub material on the model and not single textures for each material.

Mostly I would like to know the 3ds max settings and the dae export settings so that I can get busy making some trackside objects.

I should mention that I always model at 1 unit = 1 meter in MAX. That's normal for working with any models that would be exported using ISI's 3ds MAX exporter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Eric Tozer

Eric Tozer

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tim.
    Firstly check the help file (F1) for details on using xpacker.

I always create my objects in Max using meters in both Display units & System units.

Procedural textures won't work, Textures have to mapped to an external file which has to be to the power of 2.
    ie: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 pixels in both directions.
    They don't have to be square, just any combination of these.
    I just use .JPGs & replace them with .DDS in xpacker.

As for collada settings I just use the default settings & they seem fine.

Any more questions just post here & i will try to help.
    Cheers

3. Stealthy

Stealthy

Ratings:
    +0
    why did you have to move it in word, also if you set your grid within 3d max to 1m youll be fine as every block is 1m x 1m makes doin scale easy