GT5 Looking for opinions on buying GT5

This is my opinion and it is going to change with different people:

1. FFB is good, But "Sims" are better i myself use a G25. you can only adjust FFB strength. There is no Steering axis adjustibility in GT5 period. You will need a Fanatec wheel if you want to adjust steering axis. Also with the G25, you cannot map the buttons. It is preset .DFGT , DFPRO and DFEX buttons are mappable. Also H Gate/Clutch shifting is terrible.

2.The physics on RFactor or any other "Sims" feel a bit more real. that is why i spend more time on Race07 and RFactor.

3.If you are a "Hardcore Sim player",you may be a bit disappointed. My gf played GT5 and even she notices the difference with Race07 and RFactor. She likes them better.She plays enough with me to notice the difference. GT5 is better than GT2 though.

I myself don't consider any of the GT series as the "Real Driving Simulator" anymore, especially after making the transition over to Race07 and RFactor. But... it is still fun to play. I'm not trying to ween you off of getting GT5,but i suggest that if you have a friend that has the game, try it out first before you decide to buy.Or maybe rent the game and system if you don't know anyone the has GT5. But with what you are asking, i wouldn't just go out and buy it.

As with Hiroshi, this is only my opinion.

1. I don't have a G25, but I can tell you that it is not a wheel that is officially supported by the game. From speaking to others here on RD a G25 should work fine but you will not be able to customise it in the game. But then, even officially supported wheels do not have much customisation... you can set the buttons, but that's it. Axis adjustment is one of the features we wheel users have been asking for. The actual FFB itself is good but again only has minor customisation (overall strength only). Race 07 feels better.

2. The physics are good and certainly worthy of being called simulation as opposed to acrade. However, they're not quite as good as you find in 'pure' racing sims on PC. You would likely find the cars somewhat easier to drive than those in games like Race 07 and rFactor.

3. 'The Real Driving Simulator'? No. A good driving simulator? Yes. Whether it lives up to your expectations really depends on what those expectations are. It's not Race 07 and it isn't rFactor, but it isn't Shift or Forza either. It's a console (ie, somewhat limited) simulator based on road cars rather than racing cars. It has good accessibility due to the huge selection of cars which are easy, challenging and everything in between. On the downside its offline features are not great with bad AI and a boring 'career' mode. On the upside, properly organised online racing can be excellent and greatly varied... online is all I do these days.

The thing is that you said that you do not have a PS3. In other words, it sounds like you're thinking about buying a PS3 solely to play GT5. If that is the case then I would say DON'T. No game is worth that price, and GT5 certainly isn't. However, if you're buying a PS3 anyway and are simply wondering if GT5 would make a worthwhile addition to your overall game collection, then I would say go ahead. It's not the best sim ever, but it can be very good fun and is worth buying for any racer than has a PS3.

@Tremayne please be careful when buying a used PS3,as a matter of fact don't. I bought a used PS3 slim and it only lasted me a month and a half.You just don't know what you are gonna get. At the least,go to a video game store and see if they sell used units for they may offer some kind of warranty on used consoles.I bought mine off of Craigslist and all i can say is "NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO THAT".

The OP was specifically asking about GT5, not Forza. If you want to discuss that game then please use it's dedicated board. I'm not interested in the incredibly tiresome GT5 vs Forza debate because they inevitably deteriorate into flame wars.

I don't really need any 'backup', thanks Hiroshi. The posts will not be deleted unless they break forum rules. I am merely making everyone aware that I do not want this to become a fanboy fueled flame war, something which happens on nearly every occasion that Gran Turismo and Forza are mentioned in the same thread. Call it a 'pre-emptive strike', if you will.

Ah yes, the wheels:) I forgot that as mine is PC only unfortunately, so for me it doesn't matter which console I get as I will have no wheel for both.
Then it's definitely PS3 or nothing. GT5 is definitely a very nice game, the most tempting things in it for me are: the tracks, weather (snow!!!), the selection of cars (though that standard vs premium thing bothers me). The physics seem nice enough to me, as far as I could judge that from videos and reviews, anyways if I would buy this game I wouldn't primarily do that for the realism of physics, I just love cars (road cars), and I love the fact that there are less than 100hp cars in the game! I was even thinking about buying a used PS2 after last Christmas and buying GT4 for it.
Well, for one game it definitely seems too pricy though. I'm thinking about buying a console too but I would also get Skyrim for it, and my sister got also very excited about it a few months ago, and that goes against upgrading my PC too. (because of course I could get Skyrim for the PC too, just my current config has 0%, or very little chance to be able to run that game) And I just feel I missed a huge thing with not having a console and one of those games. If there was a game like those for the PC, and those my sister was excited about, I would probably stay with the upgrading.

GT5 is definitely a very nice game, the most tempting things in it for me are: the tracks, weather (snow!!!), the selection of cars (though that standard vs premium thing bothers me).

Snow is only available on ice-based rally tracks of which there are not many. Even rain is limited to a small selection of tracks which is actually rather annoying... I see no reason why it cannot be implemented on every track in the game. It works quite well though, and isn't just an on/off system. I was driving my F2007 at Suzuka set to changeable weather the other day and it was raining on the start/finish straight and around the first few corners, yet it wasn't raining at all around the back of the track.

Another nice feature is that you can change the time and race at night if you like (Nordschleife in pitch blackness, anyone?), but again it is limited to just a small selection of the tracks. No idea why.

Tremayne,
You sound like someone who has almost made up his mind, and just wants a little push to go and get GT5.
But you also state you are "on a budget", so I feel I should warn you given it would also involve purchasing a PS3.

Firstly do not buy an old style PS3 second hand.
The original "fatty" PS3's are notorious for issues, so much so that many of second hand machines are borderline failures that have been traded in for the much more reliable slim model.
I know, I've had 4 original 60GB PS3's fail on me myself, and eventually when number 5 showed difficulty with the Blueray player, traded it in for a slim model.

Secondly, I have always found games a very personal thing.
It doesn't matter how much someone recommends a game to me, how much the game seems to offer or what the reviews have been.
Until I actually try it myself and find if it really is my kind of game, I take all comments on a game as only how someone else finds it.

Therefore my best advice would be to seek out a friend who has a PS3, and if he doesn't have GT5 see if you can rent it.
By the way, I don't know how much GT5 is your side of the world, but over here it has dropped in some outlets to less then £20, so if you can't rent it, you might still be able to get it reasonably cheap to try out.

Having said all that, I have to say for me it is a game/racing simulator I personaly like.
The low end "street cars" especially, so much in fact I tend to try and collect two of each, one to modify and the other to keep as standard.

Whatever the outcome Tremayne, let us know here sometime what you decided to do...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%