Long In the Tooth

Firstly, I pinched this from a guy called BoothJoe over at ISI forums but it got me thinking.

In a sim, is it possible/probable that the driver's age has a large effect on performance on the track just as it has in real life racing? I don't believe there are many senior citizens running at the top levels. The loss of reaction time and vision and endurance take their toll in the real world, so it would make sense that they do also in a sim like RF2.

At 63, I struggle with RF2 and it occurred to me last night I may never reach the levels I did running the F1 Crammond games years ago. What do you think? Can age present challenges in the sim world that are potentially insurmountable or does the fact that the sim removes the physical punishment mean an "old timer's" glory can last longer than in the past?

I'm not 63 (Only 52) but I kind of feel pretty much how this guy feels. Maybe we could have an OAP club night lol

Best 32, not bad for a 70 yo :sneaky: However I'm still the slowest of any group but that probably has more to do with practice (or lack of).
It does annoy that guys sign up to a club race saying they've never tried the car/track before and then lap 5+ seconds faster than you but I can live with that.
Club races for OAPs sound a great idea :roflmao:

Anyone seen my $$ys?
Your teeth? :barefoot: Ah, sorry mate. :sick:

comics-wisdom-old-man-deleted-906065.jpeg

Without any doubt reaction times go down over time.
But when was the last time a kid jumped in front of your V8 while you were doing 250km/h?

We got our brake markers and even the young slam into the back of the guy in front if he brakes 100m too early.

In real world racing that's a different thing as the physical aspect of racing is extremely demanding and you definitely have an edge over older drivers.

Try this reaction test.

https://www.justpark.com/creative/r...8_1447522697_9c929917b83ab0d917cf839d780893de

I'm 38 best I could manage after 5 attempts was 20 years old.

I am doing alright on Black Ops 3 K/D 1.67 with a controller.

That was fun to check out. But, it seems really variable depending on how you go about it. I first tried it on a touchscreen, and was consistently getting between 45 and 55. That was surprising, given that I'm late 30's and generally do at least reasonably well with things that rely on quick reactions. So, I tried it on my desktop, using the mouse, and was consistently getting between 28 and 35. I then tried it on the same computer, but using the keyboard instead of mouse, and was consistently getting the "are you sure you're human?" up to late teens. So, I went from thinking "wow, maybe time's really catching up with me" to "I am an ageless wonder!" ;)

That was fun to check out. But, it seems really variable depending on how you go about it. I first tried it on a touchscreen, and was consistently getting between 45 and 55. That was surprising, given that I'm late 30's and generally do at least reasonably well with things that rely on quick reactions. So, I tried it on my desktop, using the mouse, and was consistently getting between 28 and 35. I then tried it on the same computer, but using the keyboard instead of mouse, and was consistently getting the "are you sure you're human?" up to late teens. So, I went from thinking "wow, maybe time's really catching up with me" to "I am an ageless wonder!" ;)

Same here, I tried the mouse at first and was in the lower 30's. Used the keyboard and I hit between 19-22 every time. I'm 37, but I lost many brain cells during my college days and usually have at least a pint in me when doing any sim driving/racing. :laugh:

Paul Newman drove his last race at age 80. The year he died. I bet he enjoyed it too.
In masters skiing I raced a bloke who was still skiing beautifully at 90 years of age.

Did his age affect him, sure it did, did he make excuses about his age-never.
There are guys in masters skiing who at 60 are still smokin!

Lets just race.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back