Long In the Tooth

Firstly, I pinched this from a guy called BoothJoe over at ISI forums but it got me thinking.

In a sim, is it possible/probable that the driver's age has a large effect on performance on the track just as it has in real life racing? I don't believe there are many senior citizens running at the top levels. The loss of reaction time and vision and endurance take their toll in the real world, so it would make sense that they do also in a sim like RF2.

At 63, I struggle with RF2 and it occurred to me last night I may never reach the levels I did running the F1 Crammond games years ago. What do you think? Can age present challenges in the sim world that are potentially insurmountable or does the fact that the sim removes the physical punishment mean an "old timer's" glory can last longer than in the past?

I'm not 63 (Only 52) but I kind of feel pretty much how this guy feels. Maybe we could have an OAP club night lol

All in the mind Jim.
sim racing has made more aggressive in real life driving hate been stuck behind old farts on the road. But i"ll never make it to alien status in sims.
50 an loving it, but my brother inlaw had a near miss out on the road he said now he's 60 the reactions was n't as fast as they were.

All in the mind Jim.
sim racing has made more aggressive in real life driving hate been stuck behind old farts on the road. But i"ll never make it to alien status in sims.
50 an loving it, but my brother inlaw had a near miss out on the road he said now he's 60 the reactions was n't as fast as they were.
Well although I drive, I haven't owned a car for nearly 4 years and I cycle to and from work. I ran into the back of a parked petrol tanker 1 morning. Pissing down with rain on my way home. The tanker never moved lol and just drove off!! That was a lucky escape. I've never been the fastest at gaming whatever age but there is something about the fact that people can do minimal practice for a club race and still leave me miles behind so I think the age thing does have something to do with lap times.

Try this reaction test.

:D

image.png

You may have something there Jim, or maybe us slowcoaches just need an excuse.:whistling:
IRL I'm much faster than my oldest son, aged 47, who has been a sim racer for years and in any driving game is much faster than me. I was shocked at how slow I was when I came online having spent years racing the AI. By the way tried the age thingy 5 goes and was between 25 and 42 that's way out but made me feel good. My youngest (44) doesn't play videogames but rides a Triumph Explorer 1200 XC so I ain't catching him soon.:D

Reactions: Bez
You may have something there Jim, or maybe us slowcoaches just need an excuse.:whistling:
IRL I'm much faster than my oldest son, aged 47, who has been a sim racer for years and in any driving game is much faster than me. I was shocked at how slow I was when I came online having spent years racing the AI. By the way tried the age thingy 5 goes and was between 25 and 42 that's way out but made me feel good. My youngest (44) doesn't play videogames but rides a Triumph Explorer 1200 XC so I ain't catching him soon.:D
Your oldest son is 47?

I'am "66" years "young" and do quite well in my online races. I been sim racing since the very earliest days of F1-99, SCGT, Nascar Heat, NR2003, GTR2, Race07 etc. and believe this experience/attitude can play a huge role in your success in sim racing. Store in your memory that your age is only a number!

In my opinion i believe your "age" is much less a factor in sim racing from your chair and doesn't affect your performance near as much as it would in a real-life racing scenerio and my sim racing skills have been constantly improving up to the present date. I hope my health continues for many years ahead so i'am able to continue enjoying one of my favorite pastimes!

Last edited:
I hope I can emulate you elder statesmen and still be simming and gaming for as long as possible. I am sure gaming in general is fantastic for the old grey matter, although fannying around trying to sort your sim/PC out when it is not playing ball is not good for the cardio vascular system.

Lol.......diagnosing pc problems comes easy for me since i ran a electronics repair service for most of my lifetime! Perhaps, this kept my brain in a good state.

Here is my Reaction Time Test from the 1st try to my 7th: 39,41,43,37,32,34,30

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back