Long, fast bends...

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
...in particular the long right hander on the Road America circuit is very punishing on my left tyres...how would I approach setting up the car for mainly fast, right hand bends (I guess this is valid for oval tracks too).
Any help appreciated
Regards

Try to figure out what your outside tyres are doing in the corner. From there, you can see if you have optimal contact, correct toe, and enough pressure.

Too much or too little camber, and the tyre is not in full contact, from edge to edge, creating less grip from the tiny area on the surface, and more heat and wear.

Incorrect toe means the tyre will be scrubbing it's way around the corner, meaning more heat and wear.

Wrong pressure values will either wear faster, or create and sustain too much heat.

One you have good set up with the alignment and pressure, then try to figure where the weight is. If the rebound is too high on the rear, you might be too light on the front, creating scrubbing, or you could have too much weight, creating a slide.

As always, there is no perfect value for anything, ever. You have to compromise somewhere, and finding the compromise you are most comfortable with will give you the better times. Remember, 98% of the lap time and consistency is down to the driver, only 2% of it is made up by setup.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back