Lola T70 MkII Spyder (rF2)

Cars Lola T70 MkII Spyder (rF2) 2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
I want to like this car, but so far I can't keep it on track :D Just so different to the cars I normally drive, understeer, oversteer, and just a general instability coupled with 'murican torque.

What I noticed is that the interior engine sound turns rather synthetic in the higher rev ranges, employing another sample may better here

gurneyb&w.jpg

1966_Lola_T70MkIISpyder-2-15361.jpg

Really nice, thanks :)

couple of things i noticed:
seems like light is getting through the body somewhere
Screenshot_lola_t70_rf2_bridgehampton_3-7-117-21-37-56.jpg

it has "historic" tag but should be "vintage" to match kunos cars
and error that can probably be removed:
INIReader: content/cars/lola_t70_rf2/data/analog_instruments.ini > KEY_NOT_FOUND: [WATER_TEMP] LUT

regarding the class of the car, it has can-am tag but no other cars have that one, what cars are recommended to be put against it? perhaps the #Vintage GT subclass tag is worth adding so at least races can be auto-populated with similar kinds of cars?

Good idea on the tags, those are free so may as well add whatever. :)

As of now there aren't really any cars that are natural competition for the Group 7 racers. The 917K is probably the closest, at least with some BoP it can be made to fit into a grid with this thing. There were 917s in Can-Am, but not the K, and not in the same era as the T70.

It raced against the McLaren M1B and Chaparral 2E in Can-Am 1966, but the McLaren was too slow to really be competitive and the Chaparral, while quick, broke all the time. In AC that might be a good match - since we don't really simulate reliability - but we lack the ability to implement its aero correctly. (A compromise I'd be willing to make, frankly.) The McLarens did a little better in England but it was still basically the T70 show.

So I guess a one-make grid isn't altogether unrealistic either. (Although IRL there would have been a number of different engine options, so they weren't all identical.)

My '66 USRRC mix, so far, is a handful of T70s, a few Porsche 906, and a GT40. Yeah, that's an AI mix since the 289 GT40 never was competitive in the USRRC, but a few Mk 1 owners would take them to the races every so often.

Don't forget the Genie Mk8s & Mk10s that were grid-fillers for CanAm in '66.

Very nice car but its drag is way to low. In an era where aerodinamic cars means less drag and hight top speed, this Lola was a revolution. As oposition from other cars, where at high speed they din't generate almost any downforce and some of them even lift (GT40 generate 300kg of lift), this Lola generate a lot of downforce (200kg). It could do some turns flat out where others had to lift throttle.
The counter part was drag. That's why it wasn't suited for Lemans, for its relative low top speed. With your car I got 319km/h top speed (same as GT40), with default setup and with zero wing, 325km/h.
If I remember correctly, the real car should have around 300km/h with low wing configuration.
Everything else, model, sound, skins and handling is spot on.

Last edited:
You may well be right about the drag figure as it is entirely estimated... The Ford has a CdA of 0.54, the Lola in its default setup is 0.66, so it's already a significant difference. I don't see any reason not to stretch that a little bit, though, a ~10% increase should bring top speeds down to ~305kph even with fully-stretched gears.

I'll give it a shot.

Your 200kg downforce figure matches my (minimal) data. :)

I perfectly understand your difficulty in finding data about these cars and the fact that your Lola handles so convincingly is already a great achievement.
I'm not a physic expert by any mean, but trying to find a CdA that gives 300km'h with zero wing seems a good way to estimate a decent number.
Like I said, everything else is amazing and this car is already one of the few that gives me so much pleasure as oficial ones.

I had another go at Silverstone with the Lola, I have to rely on trial and error with setup but stumbled across something better. I'm down to 1:27.1 ATM and I'm sure I could do a high or mid 26 with more laps and setup tweaks. My guess the aliens will be in the low 26's atleast. I think after the drag adjustment we will still be able to replicate the Hulme lap at Silverstone.

I hope I remeber well, but the T70 raced against the 917 in early 70 ies, but mostly as T70 MK3 Coupe (and it was used in Le Mans... for the movie)-.but the MK3 was a little bit ugly and coldn`t really match to 917 and 512.

But nevertheless all this cars had: sound. When they raced at the Nord and you were a spectator at "Hohe Acht" you can hear them coming down the valley and through "Klostertal". After they got through "Karusell", you start to feel the earth trembling under you feet and then the pack passed:__ you heard and felt the deep punch of the V8 engines into your stomach, your ears shocked by the awesome screaming of the V12 `s. Man, that´s how racing has to sound.

But back to the car, I always smile driving it, bringing back so much wonderful racing memories. I would like to race it not at the Nord, but on the Sued(South - the course they broke down for that foolish GP Course). The Sued meant extreme danger at high speed curves, up and downhills - it was the deadly, little sister of the big Nord.

A little suggestion to the builders of this first class mod: Please add adjustable springs

Last edited:
Adjustable springs is a good idea, they were entirely user-configurable IRL. (The setup in there now matches a real build sheet I found, but that was only one of many, and the setup was likely changed from track to track once it left the factory anyway.)

I'd love to do a MkIII Coupe as well, but you're right, it never had the cache of the MkII. There are MkIII Spyder bits in Crossply's rF2 mod which could be used, but no coupe body. I don't know that it's enough of a difference to spend the time on a MkIII Spyder.

Speaking of step versions... any interest in a Ford-powered S1? Would be the same car with changes to total mass, weight distribution, and power (possibly gearbox?) to reflect a Ford 289 or 302. We could be really pedantic and move all of the liveries into their proper places. Could be good fun! :D

First: Thank you for giving us this iconic car!

A Ford powered version would be really cool, I know Ford versions weren`t as common as the chevy´s, but this way we can find out why.:)

Back to Mk.3. I think, the Mk.3B Coupe(despite of looking a little bit ... let´s just say: form follows function;)), will be a good choice, if you ever do a Mk.3. Keeping in mind, that perhaps a KS 512 M is coming up(when we vintage fans are lucky and win the poll) Would be nice to have this battle of giants(T70/917/512- it will be eye and ear candy, watching a races replay) back. I still have the minichamps T70 Mk.3B toy car, light blue with a yellow center stripe, Nr. 102 "Ulf Norinder" - a cool car, with the bigger side cooling inlets in the rear and it`s very different tail.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone involved, this is a real gem. Didn't have too much time to give her the love she deserve but I had a short blast driving it at Silverstone and Bridgehampton on the Aloog 1 server :) So tricky to get it right, managing the understeer and sudden oversteer, but once you're there its amazing fun!

Found notice of an Mk.3B Coupe taking part of the 1971 1000 KM race on the Nurburgring. Obviously a french car - red with blue/white center stripe, Nr. 54 Teddy Pilette/Gustave Gosselin. I try to investigate if and which place the finish.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back