logitech g27 or fanatec gt3rs v2

hello guys help needed i own a g27 for last few yrs and thinking about going over to fanatec gt3rs v2 but my question is,which is the better wheel.i have seen lots ov posts saying the fanatec is the better but fought i would come to the well trusted racedepartment community for your input.i am pc and ps3 racer

Thanks for the article. In fact i driving myself but cant really tell the different between DFGT brake pedal (non load cell) with my car brake (load cell). I usually only hope that the brake have more room / distance between 0-100% so can be control easier.

i can only comment on the load cell on the fanatec clubsport pedals, compared to g25/g27 pedals:

the travel distance of the pedal is much shorter (adjustable) - this allows me to stamp on the brake and reach maximum braking quickly (also happens to be much more like a race car pedal)

it is also a lot more intuitive - trail braking becomes much easier, going into a corner, its much easier to control pressure with the muscles in your whole leg with a firm pedal, then controlling a light pedal (like on the g27's pedals) with your feet/ankle.

as a result - its also a lot easier to modulate the brake pressure - for example - finding the point at which the front wheels lock under braking, and holding it there - and then releasing the brake as the load reduces on the front, to avoid locking wheels.

As a side note - i tried both V1 and V2 fanatec clubsports. I went back to the V1. The V2 used this oil filled damper, which made the brake feel like it was assisted, made it all spongey and mushy to push. I preferred the V1 brake because it instantly sprung back when you took your foot off it - i couldn't achieve this effect with V2.
Coincidentally, the V1's feel more like a race cars, you don't get a mushy feel on a race cars brake pedal, its like pushing against a brick wall.

This is why the V1's are technically better - but hey, its all opinion right ;)

Your car brake (presume you are referring to your road car?) will have heavily servo assisted brakes and be easy to push in, which is probably why it feels maybe similar to your DFGT pedals.

Regarding pedal travel - its a lot easier to control a brake pedal with less travel, because you reach 100% brake quicker. Also with time, you will find it easier to control that short travel with Pressure from your leg.

Build quality of the fanatec pedals are excellent - I've had my V1's since 2012 January and not had any problems - I bought 2 spare load cells but haven't needed to use them.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
there are none for simracing.
No benefit in either lap time or realism. g25/g27 are more similar to a servo drive wheel than a belt drive wheel.
or believe all the marketing and waste your cash.

fact. end of.

Way to state your opinion as fact......
Fact is: the benefit is smoother force feedback
Fact is: that makes the wheel feel different than one using gears
Fact is: that may or may not make you faster, but that's down to personal preference, the wheel is in no way shape or form BETTER for simracing whether its belt or gear driven.
Fact is: There are drawbacks to belt drive, which have already been mentioned in the thread.
Question is: Where's this "marketing" that you claim will waste his cash?

Whether someone wants to spend €1000 on a wheel then I don't see why they shouldn't, it WILL give them a different experience than a €300 wheel does, there's no denying that, ever. It won't make you faster per se, but upgrading from a Logitech Momo to a Fanatec GT3 improved my times a lot, not from being a better wheel but because I was enjoying my racing that much more I was spending much more time practicing.

Upvote 0
Way to state your opinion as fact......
Fact is: the benefit is smoother force feedback
Fact is: that makes the wheel feel different than one using gears
Fact is: that may or may not make you faster, but that's down to personal preference, the wheel is in no way shape or form BETTER for simracing whether its belt or gear driven.
Fact is: There are drawbacks to belt drive, which have already been mentioned in the thread.

Whether someone wants to spend €1000 on a wheel then I don't see why they shouldn't, it WILL give them a different experience than a €300 wheel does, there's no denying that, ever. It won't make you faster per se, but upgrading from a Logitech Momo to a Fanatec GT3 improved my times a lot, not from being a better wheel but because I was enjoying my racing that much more I was spending much more time practicing.

well i didn't bother giving details to back up my opinion coz the guy was just asking around, and i didnt want him to think that expensive = better. Also someone had already explained the drawbacks to belt drive.

but okay.
the benefit is smoother force feedback

why is that a benefit? Smoother doesn't necessarily mean its better or more useful.
if you've ever driven a race car, or even watched any onboards - the feedback that comes through the steering column is instant, sometimes violent.
Yes the Gear drive gives a 'crunchey' sensation when you turn the wheel, but it more than makes up for that with much quicker response time when turning left to right, or when feedback comes through.
I wouldn't call smoother force feedback a benefit - its just different sensation - but ultimately - how it delivers that smoothness is what makes it worse, unfortunately.
The smoothness of the GT3 wheel dulled/muted the vibration and force feedback coming back through, and actually makes you more disconnected from the game.
Thats why a servo drive wheel is amazing, it won't have that 'crunchey' sensation when turning the wheel, But it will have the instant response and super strong feedback.

that makes the wheel feel different than one using gears
yup this is true.... i never said otherwise.

There are drawbacks to belt drive, which have already been mentioned in the thread.

exactly - which is why i didnt bother going into detail.

well a brief look around the simracing world and the community and you clearly see how much people automatically assume a T500 or a Fanatec wheel is better - brainwashed by the feedback and power.

What the g25/g27 lacks in power it more than makes up for in response time, which is so important in simracing and to be able to control the car quickly.

You see stuff sponsored by fanatec or thrustmaster everywhere - you hear the guys at inside simracing going on about the 'amazing power' of these wheels and how they are quality products. Which is all true, but in terms of what is required for simracing, that doesnt necessarily make them better wheels. But people read/hear this and think its true without thinking about it.

but upgrading from a Logitech Momo to a Fanatec GT3 improved my times a lot, not from being a better wheel but because I was enjoying my racing that much more I was spending much more time practicing

i used to have a MOMO, can't really remember what it felt like now - got many hours out of it though playing the first GTR.
Yeah fair enough - I'm not denying that the wheels provide different experiences, but ultimately - the GT3 Fanatec wheel is simply awful compared to a G25 - I know, because I got a GT3 in 2012 Jan and returned it immediately - it was so so sluggish compared to the G25 and had so much standing resistance.
I ended up doing the exact same thing with the T500, earlier this year, returning it.

you should switch to a g27 lol - your laptimes will improve again.
i was being a bit toungue in cheek when i said 'fact. end of'. I should have put an emoticon next to it :p

I'd just like to add that my opinions on belt drive however DON'T apply to the CSW - mainly because I haven't tested it - and also because it seems to have enough power to counter the resistance of the belt drive.

Skeijmel's graphs show that with the F1 rim at least, the CSW's response time seems to be as good as the G25/g27's, but worse with the heavier BMW rim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldnt switch to a G27 unless I absolutely had to, I've tried it and I really hate the rigid and notchy feel of the gears grinding. I might be faster with it, but I wouldn't enjoy it as much. It's about personal preference and nothing else. I know the benefit of the G25/27 is the speed and response, but that's what the T500 and CSW achieve while still having the smooth feel of a belt driven system, at least according to a couple of people I've asked (that have compared).

Upvote 0
I believe G27 is more than enough for me consider T500 cost twice the price that i not willing to pay, especially i myself already faster than many racer using just DFGT. i only hope G27 has better brake pedal than DFGT.

Upvote 0
Well that depends, if Logitech has a support in your country they might help you, but a reseller (of new equipment) usually takes care of warranty stuff for Logitech in the first year or two, then after that you contact Logitech directly.
I had a mouse break down where the reseller had gone bankrupt, and then Logitech support helped me with no hassle at all, replaced the mouse.

Upvote 0
Well that depends, if Logitech has a support in your country they might help you, but a reseller (of new equipment) usually takes care of warranty stuff for Logitech in the first year or two, then after that you contact Logitech directly.
I had a mouse break down where the reseller had gone bankrupt, and then Logitech support helped me with no hassle at all, replaced the mouse.

You mean i can send my G27 to any Logitech support in my country even i bought that wheel from Amazon ?? I think i need to make some call to confirm that to be sure. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
I think that local supplier support will apply only if you buy from them.
If you buy directly through Amazon, I suspect you may have to deal directly with Logitech, or Amazon if they provide that service (which I doubt).
I bought my G25 locally in Australia through a local retailer, and they immediately replaced it when I had a problem.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 361 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years