Loeb to Cross-Country Rally, Citroen Withdraw from WTCC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
loeb.jpg

9 time World Rally Champion and current works Citroen WTCC driver Sebastian Loeb has confirmed he will contest the 2016 Cross-Country Rally season with Peugeot’s factory team.

"This is an opportunity for me to continue my career in what is a new discipline to me,

I will need time to learn and that’s what I have been doing during recent testing and on last month’s Rallye du Maroc. I am delighted to be able to build on my experience with Groupe PSA which has brought me nine World Rally Championship titles and several World Touring Car Championship victories with Citroën, as well as adventures like Pikes Peak two years ago with Peugeot. There are still a lot of exciting new challenges out there.”

"I am delighted that Sébastien Loeb is to join us at Peugeot Sport, ” said Maxime Picat, Peugeot Sport MD . “The combination of his all-round driving skills and the talent of the teams at Peugeot Sport promises some exciting times ahead for the brand in the world of motorsport. In addition to his ability behind the wheel, Sébastien stands for values to which motorsport and motoring enthusiasts across the globe can relate. I am certain he will have even more to share with them with Peugeot.”

Leob previously contested the 2015 Rallye du Maroc in October alongside compatriot Daniel Elena, who will once again take up co driver duties when the season kicks of at January’s Dakar Rally.

With Citroen having announced they will withdraw from the WTCC after the 2016 season and are to slim down its four-strong works line-up to just two cars next year, retaining reigning champion Lopez alongside Yvan Muller and leaving no room for Ma Qing Hua or Sebastien Loeb.

The Sebastien Loeb Racing team currently runs Mehdi Bennani as well as Ma's entry on behalf of the factory, and Ma is likely to continue to race under the Sebastien Loeb banner next year.

With 9 WRC titles and a successful WTCC season drawing to a close, alongside a Pikes Peak record in 2013, could we be witnessing the career of one of motorsports most versatile racing drivers? Leave your comments in the discussion below!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back