Live for Speed

Yeah, pity that development and updates had stopped for LFS. I've had LFS since the beginning and spent years racing in it, but last 2 years lost interest as it's always the same cars and tracks...

Pity really, as it has one of the best physics around.

Been thinking along those lines for quite a while. They could retain control over external development (prevent misuse, checking the validity of data entered, quality of tracks and cars, etc) and enjoy some extra revenue that could be used for S3 content and development.

Too bad they never accepted this.

they are not dead at all.They are working on the scirocco and a whole new tire model. they do that with only 3 people. That's why the updates are slow.

Also, if the master server is still up, it's not dead at all with all the leagues being organised there.

Something has got to shake though. These skeleton crew development teams are way behind the eight ball and cannot produce in a realistic timely fashion to meet the demands of a hard nosed Sim Race community. There are options for these small teams to follow if they choose to seek them. Having a 3man or even worse there are 1 man developers out there. There is no way to compete at this level and there are many very talented people out there in the communities to utilize their talents and like I said options to secure the funds needed to pay these additional people.

Dear LFS-community,
we are happy to announce our relaunched and reconstructed website cityliga.de and of course the 18th season of CityLiga.
CityLiga is the most traditional and biggest German LFS-league and was always defined by her diversitiy and openness for drivers of all kind. The CityLiga attracts drivers of all age, experience and abilities. Fairness is an important asset and the CityLiga is providing a live-admin for each grid therefore.

cl_logo18_start.png

The reworked homepage provides a new desgn and complete biligualism (Englisch/German) to be a true international league and still keep its German roots.

schedule:

GQ 10.3. - 19.3. XRT@BL1 & GT1@KY2r
01. 24.3. XRT (XR GT Turbo) @ Blackwood GP (BL1)
02. 31.3. GT1 (FXO GTR, FZ50 GTR & XR GTR) @ Kyoto National rev. (KY2r)
03. 14.4. FOX (Formula XR) @ South City Classic (SO1)
04. 28.4. FXO (FXO Turbo) @ Westhill International rev. (WE1r)
05. 12.5. NGT (XF GTR & UF GTR) @ Fern Bay Classic rev. (FE2Y_F25)
06. 28.5. LX4 @ South City Town rev. (SO5r)
07. 09.6. FBM (Formula BMW) @ Aston North rev. (AS7r)
08. 23.6. XFG (XF GTI) @ Fern Bay Rallycross (FE5)
09. 07.7. BF1 (BMW Sauber F1.06) @ South City Long (SO4)
10. 21.7. FZ5 (FZ 50) @ Aston Sprint rev.(AS2y_A21)

It's planned to provide a live-stream for the whole CL18 at simrace.tv!

Last edited:
From what I see on LFS Desktop (LFS World) there are 765 racers online today 17. april, 2014 at 14:15 h Belgian summertime.
Number of people in general fluctuates between 200 (night) and over 1000 (evening).
Wouldn't call that 'dead'.

I think reference to LFS being dead refer to its pace of development rather than its user participation.

It always puzzled me that so many LFS users stuck to the demo version. iRacing shows on-line sim racers do have disposable income. Perhaps LFS appeals to a different demographic. Drifting used to be very popular - perhaps indicating a younger user base.

Last edited:
iRacing only covers a fragment of the total amount of racing gamers. The majority unfortunately isn't willing to spend heaps of money on their hobby.

People that only play racing game demos because they can't be arsed to buy their content I can't take serious.

The "success" of the LFS demo is maybe the reason why other developers have stopped releasing demo's?

I really hope that LFS will receive some content updates in the future as the game has really served the simracing community very well, and indeed still does.

I don't know how many of the LFS demo players would genuinely call themselves simracers. I can remember before I was into simracing, I was still in school, and one way we'd goof off during class was play the LFS demo on the school computers. The lightweight graphics worked well on those budget PCs, and it drives well with a keyboard. But I don't think that made us simracers :p

I agree that you can't find the top of maturaty or seriousness on LFS servers.
I still like to race from time to time, more particularly cargame.nl. This server generally shows to be the most filled. Still some jokes happen there.

Public racing is no longer happening in LFS exept for the cargame servers, although the S1 server is also empty most of the time as well these days. What is still alive are a few leagues/league organisations. CityLiga features 3 grids à 26 racers on mondays and training races the sunday before, the Genuine Racing GT Masters 2 grids à 30 racers and the Genuine Racing GTi Trophy starting in May with some good sign-up numbers already both on sundays. Eventually practicing for CityLiga crowds some servers in the days before, while people training for GenR GTM do it on private servers most of the time.

New Version 0.6F and Progress Report
Dear LFS Racers,

Today we release an new update of Live for Speed with 3D support and announce another version that is coming soon with a much improved Westhill track.

Version 0.6F:

Available today and well tested by forum visitors, this new update supports 3D devices including TVs, projectors, headsets and the Oculus Rift. While developing it, we also moved onto DirectX 9 which allows for better graphical effects in future while still allowing LFS to run on older versions of Windows and on Linux (using the Wine compatibility software). This version remains fully compatible with 0.6E with many improvements and fixes.

Read more about the patch and how to get it on the 0.6F information page.

Westhill Update:

Available soon... as the development for S3 has been taking some time, we thought it would be good to update something for our existing license holders. The best thing to update was the Westhill track which was always sparse and underdeveloped. The International configuration has been improved in many places, particularly in the twisty sequence of bends in the far corner which is now more challenging. There is a new National configuration, bearing off from the International track after the first right and left bends, involving some interesting gradient changes and technical bends. The scenery has been developed to a higher level of detail and you can drive around the access roads in the open configurations.

You can see more images of the new track on our screenshots page.

The configurations are complete and good to drive. At this point Eric is still finishing some buildings and filling some holes in the scenery. Scawen is making some improvements and optimisations to deal with the higher level of detail. We expect to release this version for testing in a few weeks, but remember that sometimes interesting things can come up that make things take a little longer than planned.

Further Progress:

After the Westhill update, Eric will continue with the S3 tracks he has been working on. Scawen will continue with the new tyre model. The new tyres currently feel good to drive but some work needs to be done on heat, pressure, friction, tyre load sensitivity and wear which are all closely linked.

- LFS Developers

attachment.php

Dear LFS community, dear CityLiga participants,

four months ago our new CityLiga.de and CityLiga 18 opened their gates. With the end of our eighteenth S2 season, we want to celebrate our tenth anniversary together with you. What would be more appropriate for a racing series other than organising a racing event. Therefore we invite you to CityLiga 10³, starting on 26th July 2014 at 12:00 UTC. It is a 1000km race at Aston North rev. (AS7r), 200 laps with the TBO and GTI classes. The race is open for every age, experience and skill level and everyone interested in fair virtual Motorsport.

The sign-up form and all information around this event can be found in our CityLiga Forum, in the subsection devoted to it.

Rulebook

Sign-ups

Current list of signed-up teams

Thank you for 10 years!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back