Live for Speed: Version 0.6K Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
lfs 1.jpg

Rare as rocking horse waste since 2008, Live For Speed have released an update for the impressive little racing simulation title first released in 2006, bringing a laser scanned version of England's Rockingham Motor Speedway and various graphical enhancements.

Originally revealed in 2008, Rockingham Motor Speedway has been a long time coming for LFS fans, and this latest edition does not disappoint. Featuring both Oval and Infield course configurations this laser scanned circuit is an interesting addition to the majority fictional circuits currently found in game.

Live for Speed was one of the first racing sims to properly implement VR support in the form of Oculus Rift compatibility, and this latest V0.6K update recognises the continual growth in popularity of Virtual Reality gaming by adding implementation of HTC Vive headset support through OpenVR, further extending the shelf life of a title now heading into its 11th year since release.

Improvements to the in game graphics (as can be seen by the screenshots in the post) include a new reflection and shaders system giving a pretty impressive boost to the visual experience, one that will surely be popular with fans of the title.

RO_44.jpg

Please note you will need an S3 license to unlock the Rockingham track. S3 licenses are available via the LFS website. If you already have S1 or S2, the price of your existing license will be deducted from the full price of S3. Further S3 content is understood to be in development but currently Rockingham is the only S3 content available.

Changelog:
  • Rockingham race track is now included – S3 license required
  • Now avoid ramming other cars when in the pit lane or lap of honou
  • Max drivers in single player increased to 24 (online max still 40)
  • New reflections system and shaders for cars and buildings
  • Nearby objects are visible in new dynamic reflections on cars
  • Option to set number of dynamic reflections in main view and mirror
  • Misc option to enable a programmable post-processing shader
  • New command /rsh to reload shaders (e.g. after editing externally)
  • Maximum number of controllers increased to 10 (was previously 8)
  • HTC Vive headset is now supported through OpenVR
  • Oculus Rift support now requires runtime 0.7 or later
  • Improved dialog sequence after any error entering VR mode
  • SHIFT+T on main entry screen to access lesson editor or list editor
  • Layouts for lessons must be copied from layout to training folder
  • SHIFT+T on training screen to view and test newly added lessons
  • Improved validity check when loading car colour settings
  • Alpha sorting issue on bricks at base of a South City building
  • AI could go wrong when entering BL pit lane for a pit stop
  • AI driver names can no longer be blank
  • Rockingham laser scanned environment

TIPS on using Live for Speed with a VR headset :
Note: For Oculus, Runtime 0.7 (or later) is required

How to enter VR mode in LFS :
  • Start LFS and click 3D on the View Options Screen
  • Select VR headset and click OK
To reset your seating position, the text command /rift reset is assigned by default to the F8 key.
  • When a new driver takes over, ask them to look straight ahead then press F8
    Key assignments can be edited in Options – Game – F1 to F8

Accessing your desktop while LFS is in VR mode.
  • You will find that your mouse cursor is confined to the LFS window
  • Press CTRL+C to free the mouse and now the mouse can go onto the desktop

lfs 2.jpg lfs 3.jpg lfs 4.jpg lfs 5.jpg lfs 7.jpg RO_06.jpg

Do you still play LFS? Tried the new update yet? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by the time it took them to do this, it wouldn't be too surprising if they recreated the track using rulers, levels and measuring tape instead...

Seriously, what's the point? I mean, laser-scanning is a must nowadays, yes. But what's really needed here is some new physics. Otherwise rF2 is the new LFS. It's even almost as slow to develop as LFS too. But at least it did improve over time a lot.

<mod edit> I'm a pirate and my discussion of circumventing copyright law is unwelcome here.

There is a scratch built Rockingham in progress for AC but haven't seen any updates in a while. TBH not my favourite circuit but the Champ Cars were fun there on the oval.

Is LFS worth getting? £36 for the S3 license seems a bit steep compared to the competition.

I did buy it at one point but haven't touched it for years.
I always had an issue with the FFB and as far as I can tell it hasn't changed from day one so I'll not bother trying it no matter how good the graphics or AI may or maynot have become.

I stand corrected.
I've been pointing to RRE as my least used sim. I completely forgot about this one.
I own S1 and S2 and have less than fifteen hours total time.
I downloaded this update last night...but haven't tried it yet.
The earlier version of the sim seemed to lack that something. ..I just can't put my hand on it.

Always had a soft spot for LFS. I would occasion go to it to practice heel-toeing and double clutch but b/c the clutch seems realistically modeled. But I took a couple cars out last night and wasn't impressed. I'll have to try it again. rF2 and Pcars have soured me to LFS and AC recently.

Always had a soft spot for LFS. I would occasion go to it to practice heel-toeing and double clutch but b/c the clutch seems realistically modeled. But I took a couple cars out last night and wasn't impressed. I'll have to try it again. rF2 and Pcars have soured me to LFS and AC recently.
Did you know you can slip in the gear without using clutch in PCars if you time the revs right? Other than that, transmission modelling in LFS seems to be its only redeeming point. Though it could also benefit from transmission flex like it's done in R3E.

rF2's transmission modelling is still not final. But between good transmission modelling/mediocre tyres and bad transmission modelling/great tyres/great FFB I'd go with the latter most of the time.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back