Live for Speed Build 0.6R Deployed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Live for Speed 3.jpg

Live for Speed is the racing sim that refuses to be forgotten and recently the developers have been hard at work producing yet another substantial update to the game.

With the title having been released as long ago as 2003, development slowed in recent years leaving many sim racers to believe the development team have finally shelved further support for this popular simulation. However in recent months updates have picked up pace considerably, even introducing one of the best Virtual Reality implementations of any current racing game available on the market currently.

The new build update released recently weighs in at 135MB and brings with it a reasonable number of fixes and improvements for the title, including a substantial reworking of the popular Blackwood circuit. The team have updated textures and details all round the circuit and have also added a new historic variant to join the current Grand Prix and Rallycross versions already in game.

Other changes include an update to the car shadows on track, improvements to the open configuration maps to make functionality much more informative and other miscellaneous fixes and improvements.

The full changelog and install instructions for build 0.6R can be seen below:

Blackwood
  • New textures, geometry and detail improvements all around
  • New Historic configuration (similar to GP but without chicane)
  • New industrial estate area available when open config selected
Other Incompatible Changes:
  • XRG / XRT / FZ5 maximum steering angle increased to 45 degrees
  • Spawn position now disables “Could not join : Start is blocked”
  • Maximum number of layout objects increased to 2100 (was 1800)
Sim
  • Reduced the frequency of IS_OBH packets due to Blackwood kerbs
  • IS_OBH is always reported, as before, for movable objects
  • TYRE contacts no longer report IS_OBH for unmovable objects
  • BODY contacts also report unmovable objects played in a layout
Interface
  • New small map view for open configs/car parks/autocross areas
  • Small map opacity can now be set for light and dark map colors
  • Improvements on track selection screen using the area maps
Graphics
  • Shadows are no longer cast upwards or towards the light
  • Ambient (non-direct) shadow darkness now depends on distance
  • Skid marks now remain when race restarts (excluding replays)
  • Increased LOD distances of humans/drivers/marshalls
  • Skid marks are now visible on unmovable layout objects
Misc
  • Westhill paths adjusted and regenerated to avoid graphical holes
  • Autocross paths regenerated and physical hole fixed at skid pad
  • New text command /lang X to load language (data\language\X.txt)
Fixes
  • FIX : LFS could crash using /axload with a long layout name
  • FIX : Traffic lights did not work after texture resolution change
  • FIX : Message text was faded on entering free view from escape menu
  • FIX : Removed message “Side mirror – point too central”

How to Update:

AUTO UPDATER
(If you already have version 0.5V or later) :
  • Click on "Multiplayer" then "List of Hosts" in LFS and choose a download mirror.
MANUAL PATCH (135 MB) - If you already have version 0.6M or later :
  • Click HERE and save the patch installer - You can run the patch installer from its download location or from your LFS folder.
FULL VERSION (525 MB) - If you are new to LFS or making a fresh installation.
  • Click HERE to visit the download page and get the full version installer.

Live for Speed is available right now for Windows PC.
Live for Speed 1.jpg
Live for Speed 2.jpg
Live for Speed 4.jpg

Check out the RaceDepartment Live for Speed sub forum to join in with your fellow community members and discuss this olden but golden racing title. It might have been around for a while, but its still going strong!

Do you still play Live for Speed? How does the game compare to more recent sims? Like the new update? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
This is a very impressive game with a giant list of options.
In the setup you can even put passengers in the car. :D
The developers should start a crowdfunding campaign and make a modern sequel. I'm sure many of the guys that funded pCars and AMS and bought the other sims would put some money also on a LFS 2.
They just released S3 dlc for the game though. It is 12£ for one track which makes it probably the most expensive track in all of simracing (although I'm not sure if simraceway had a track that was more. Some of their cars probably were). They are not really promising any additional content so it is really just one track for 12£.

The game is basically dead because the devs for whatever reason either refuse or just are not capable of pushing out any content (cars, tracks or physics updates) except blackwood retexturings. They could have opened the game for modding 10 years ago but who knows why they insist on keeping the doors locked and using assets from 2006. Even nkpro has received more updates in the last 5 years than this game.

Assetto corsa and rfactor and ams will let you to change pretty much the same amount of graphics settings while you are in a session. So for you it will be sux.
Graphics options I can live without while on track, but audio and controls are pretty helpful (especially when the FFB needs sooooooo much manual tuning).

I'm sure many of the guys that funded pCars and AMS and bought the other sims would put some money also on a LFS 2.
Yup, or indeed even an LFS 1.0 ;) :D

The game can't change without big money behind and it's just a couple of guys doing the stuff and some others helping with the testing.
They claim to be working on it all the time and even claiming they don't have other jobs... but all they have managed to release in 11 years - 11 YEARS - is one dlc track and some minor updates to demo circuit. Clearly the issue is not money or ...the time it takes to test stuff... The game is practically dead. Even if you use notepad to make your 3d models it doesn't take 11 years to build one circuit. There are modders who do amazing things on their free time and actually release stuff and it doesn't take 11 for them to finish something.

Rockingham is a great track, it's a laser scanned version too with 11 layouts. Actually it's one of the tracks that I would love to have in pCars 2. If I'm correct the only other game that has a laser scanned version of it it's iRacing. All the modded versions of this track are plain ugly and unfinished. Anyway, I don't think they sold the S3 DLC to thousands, graphic and price keep out too many possible buyers.
Does iracing version offer every possible configuration as well? I'm pretty sure the iracing version is of better quality and is cheaper as well.

By the way, the S3 DLC has been released a couple years ago.
Oh dear.

I for one am so happy that LFS is still pumping out updates, and I enjoy LFS more than any other sim because of the easy multiplayer quick hosting, modded tracks for rallying, overall nice ffb and versatility of what can be done in lfs as a whole.. You have gt racing, formula cars, rallying, kart tracks, autocross, drifting.. It is a great place to get ppl started into Sims imo, because it doesn't demand much from the computer either. Stop hating :inlove:

I'm sticking with LFS since 2006 and still love it! It's great how organic it feels and how the many features essentially not only make it a racing simulation, but a true driving school above all.

I recently introduced a friend of mine to Live for Speed who is a longtime GT player and never heard of LFS before. He also got his first laps in AMS this very evening, and after several hours he was overly impressed by the physics of both sims and how neither of them was as forgiving as GT when it comes to driving errors. When I asked him which he liked better he surprisingly answered LFS and justified this with the truly great FFB experience this sim still delivers. I'm fully with him on that matter as the FFB still is a masterpiece! Playing with a G27 you can feel what the car is doing or going to do so early and clearly, and at the same time it provides so much more "weight" that I almost have to cry a tear when going back to AMS. The latter may have the more advanced physics (not speaking of the overwhelming sounds!), but when it comes to the credibility, drivability and therefore amount of fun you can have with FFB on a G27, nothing comes close to LFS. R3E and AC included. (Altogether, this review may be strongly subjective. I'm keen to reading your thoughts, though. :cool:)

They claim to be working on it all the time and even claiming they don't have other jobs... but all they have managed to release in 11 years - 11 YEARS - is one dlc track and some minor updates to demo circuit. Clearly the issue is not money or ...the time it takes to test stuff... The game is practically dead. Even if you use notepad to make your 3d models it doesn't take 11 years to build one circuit. There are modders who do amazing things on their free time and actually release stuff and it doesn't take 11 for them to finish something.
Just stumbled upon this (and this whole subforum on that matter), sorry for necroposting ...

but almost another year later the situation hasn't changed. Scawen has posted more about his new mountainbiking hobby than his tire development, and quite honestly,and I seriously doubt LFS has been anything but a sidejob or even hobby for the three of them for a long time already, and I'm still a little angry about them not being honest about it.

Even in 2012 it was well known that Victor was working as a baker in the Netherlands, some guys of the community even went by his place and bought cake. Eric has been absent for almost a decade, and now that I'm somewhat skilled in 3D modelling for Assetto Corsa I can't find excuses for his side of the show. I've given the FXR and FZR new modern cockpits and developed GTR variants of the RB4 and the RAC, as personal training (you won't find them anywhere online), and its not hard, and most definitely won't take 10 years, same with tracks.

btw this is what a GTR variant of the Raceabout could have looked like. I initially started working on that skin render kit from 2005(!) trying to make gullwing doors...

Last edited:
Hey, another LFS refugee! :D
Can't argue with the "nothing more than a side job for a long time" point you make. I do feel though that Scawen probably was being honest about his intentions at the time; life just got in the way (along with lack of enthusiasm...).

Hey, another LFS refugee! :D
Can't argue with the "nothing more than a side job for a long time" point you make. I do feel though that Scawen probably was being honest about his intentions at the time; life just got in the way (along with lack of enthusiasm...).
you need to tag me, or reply, I seldom venture out of the Assetto forums these last few years...

but yeah, quite a few old LFS racers switched over to the Italians, I developed my first mod for it with Hyperactive before he disappeared to wherever. Do you also agree that the radical change in forum software drove away like half of the forum community? Seems like today there's hardly any people on there bare that weird Kiwi and cargame. I still have it on the start page fast select thingy Vivaldi has, but theres no reason to visit these days. Just yesterday i found a PM someone had send me a month ago about my DIY shifter :cautious:

you need to tag me, or reply, I seldom venture out of the Assetto forums these last few years...

but yeah, quite a few old LFS racers switched over to the Italians, I developed my first mod for it with Hyperactive before he disappeared to wherever. Do you also agree that the radical change in forum software drove away like half of the forum community? Seems like today there's hardly any people on there bare that weird Kiwi and cargame. I still have it on the start page fast select thingy Vivaldi has, but theres no reason to visit these days. Just yesterday i found a PM someone had send me a month ago about my DIY shifter :cautious:
LOL, I think you need to switch email alerts back on for that forum then ;)
I can't even remember the forum software changing, so I guess that didn't wind me up (or I've somehow forgotten it anyway!). I just got tired of the servers being kinda empty. My PC wasn't actually quick enough until last year to run things like AC, but now I'm on a PC that's so much quicker it's hilarious.
I soooo miss a whole bunch of cool features in LFS when I play other things (AC, PCars, R3E...). It's such a shame they lost their way :(

LOL, I think you need to switch email alerts back on for that forum then ;)
I can't even remember the forum software changing, so I guess that didn't wind me up (or I've somehow forgotten it anyway!). I just got tired of the servers being kinda empty. My PC wasn't actually quick enough until last year to run things like AC, but now I'm on a PC that's so much quicker it's hilarious.
I soooo miss a whole bunch of cool features in LFS when I play other things (AC, PCars, R3E...). It's such a shame they lost their way :(
The forum software change changed basically everything, robbed the place of its familiar feel (and all signatures, the block list etc). Many of those that had stayed only for the community left after those changes. People like Ben, Becky or Tor Ole (which I still have loose facebook contact with). The 2012 forum meet in Wales which we attended happened basically right before it all.

LFS is still up at the top in terms of online usability, and especially AC lacks a lot still. But as I'm spending most my sim time doing models and mods now, and rarely race, I don't miss LFS that much. Would probably still find my way around AS National blind tho

probably still find my way around AS National blind
LOL!
Sadly, I never did make it to one of Jason's LFS Wales meet-ups - kept clashing with the summer hols in the short UK school holiday window. Boo...
Did you notice that Rudy van Buren won the WFG thing? I found out via the SR forum! (It's almost dead, but still just about limping along! :D)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back