Liberty Media to Introduce New Fan Initiatives During Spanish Grand Prix Weekend

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Chase Carey - Liberty Media  - Formula One.jpg

Liberty Media continue to make their presence felt in Formula One as CEO Chase Carey reveals further fan engagement initiatives are to be launched during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend.

When Formula One was under the tight control of Bernie Ecclestone in the recent past the sport was often criticised for not doing enough to engage the general public through now well established social media outlets, with harsh limits imposed on teams and drivers alike often cited as strangling the growth of the sport with the all important new young audience.

Since the takeover by American group Liberty Media, and subsequent ousting from his role within the Formula One group for one Bernard Charles Ecclestone, social media interaction within the sport has rocketed, much to the benefit of fans and partners to the various Grand Prix teams alike.

“We unleashed our drivers, teams, promoters and more on social media, which resulted in a three to four fold growth in areas like video engagement on social media," said Chase Carey, CEO of Liberty Media.​

Despite the immediate gains seen on the various social media channels of the sport and participants since the lift on some of the restrictions in place in modern Formula One, such as the ban on filming within the paddock lifted from the opening test of 2017, Carey is looking to expand yet further in this currently untapped market for the sport:

"We move into the European portion of our season in Barcelona this weekend, where we’ll launch a few more things to engage fans. It should be fun.”

We’re also building tools that did not previously exist, like research, databases, digital platforms, and marketing capabilities to provide the necessary insights and information to grow and deepen our fanbase around the world.”
Carey is not only putting all his concentration on the promotional side of the sport. Refreshingly the one with the impressive moustache understands that the on track product is vital to the continual growth of Formula One the world over, stating:

“We’ve also begun to work with the FIA and the teams to take steps to ensure that our competition on the track delivers the best fan experience possible. We are addressing the engine, the costs, the rules and other key issues all with the goal of making the sport the best it can be.

“As part of the process we are also reviewing the broader race weekend in areas like support races to enhance and improve the experience for fans.

“We have a lot to do, and we’re off to a good start with four races under our belt, attendance up and strong results in TV viewership and digital engagement.
All in all the move to Liberty Media ownership is showing all the signs of strengthening the Formula One product, something that has been for too long overlooked in the rush to pump the most money possible from the sport in the shortest possible time when under the control of both Ecclestone and CVC Capital Partners. Time will tell if the initiatives setup by Liberty Media bear the fruit hoped for at this time, but so far so good from the flamboyant Americans as Formula One looks to cement it's place at the top of the motorsport pile...

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up on all the latest news and discuss the sport with our awesome racing community. Motorsport is awesome people!

Do you think Carey and Liberty Media are good for Formula One? Are you excited by the relaxing of the social media restrictions in place during recent years? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I was concerned that the priority was to social media, super bowl experience and pre race entertainment. I am encouraged by "We’ve also begun to work with the FIA ..." just like to see this brought to the forefront. And as an American I hope they don't make it too American aka NASCAR/IndyCar.

Way way way too early to judge, but at least they're saying the right things. If I remember our litany of complaints a couple of years ago, declining race quality and the unnecessary difficulty of being a fan were 1 and 2 on the list... seems they're addressing both. May it pan out.

As part of the process we are also reviewing the broader race weekend in areas like support races to enhance and improve the experience for fans.

That's an interesting quote. I have noticed that at least on the British GP bill the range of support races is not that great. It would be nice to see the BTCC guys back again for example. Maybe even the British GT championship to add some variety to the weekend. Could a couple of short support races on a Friday be a good option? Admittedly it's all down the available garage space but just my thoughts.

As mentioned above, early days yet. If they can make the sport more fan friendly that's a good start :thumbsup:

Now just introduce ground effect aerodynamics and get rid of the huge wings and we're set :D

Nice idea but you have to remember that Liberty are the marketing and business side of F1. The FIA write the rules on the car regulations.

Liberty media can advise the FIA on what to do and admittedly they probably have more power than Bernie did with Ross Brawn as an advisor.

It's Jean Todt and the FIA that mainly decide on what the cars look like at go like. The danger is the manufacturers are very much in control from that side of things. Max Mosley didn't have many fans but you do have to admit that if he decided on something he would push it through whether the teams liked it or not. Whereas you do get the impression with Jean is that he's happy to keep the major manufacturers pleased at all costs.

Nice idea but you have to remember that Liberty are the marketing and business side of F1. The FIA write the rules on the car regulations.

Liberty media can advise the FIA on what to do and admittedly they probably have more power than Bernie did with Ross Brawn as an advisor.

It's Jean Todt and the FIA that mainly decide on what the cars look like at go like. The danger is the manufacturers are very much in control from that side of things. Max Mosley didn't have many fans but you do have to admit that if he decided on something he would push it through whether the teams liked it or not. Whereas you do get the impression with Jean is that he's happy to keep the major manufacturers pleased at all costs.

True, it was meant as a joke, I've been watching F1 enough years to know the pace of change in the sport :p. Engineering changes need agreement with the teams because of costs.

While I think management can affect the quality of the racing, I think most people's opinions assume that "the sport is not what it was" and that "bringing back big engines" or "get rid of downforce" will magically produce exciting races. Nostalgia goggles tend to make people forget that we had many boring seasons before the current era, and that a fight for the championship requires teams to be matched both technologically and in driving ability, which happens like once every couple of years.

There are things that can be changed hopefully for the better, IMO DRS and tyre rules need simplifying, rethinking of downforce to allow close racing.

But until now I think we have good reasons to be optimistic about Liberty. Let's hope it goes on like that.

True, it was meant as a joke, I've been watching F1 enough years to know the pace of change in the sport :p. Engineering changes need agreement with the teams because of costs.

While I think management can affect the quality of the racing, I think most people's opinions assume that "the sport is not what it was" and that "bringing back big engines" or "get rid of downforce" will magically produce exciting races. Nostalgia goggles tend to make people forget that we had many boring seasons before the current era, and that a fight for the championship requires teams to be matched both technologically and in driving ability, which happens like once every couple of years.

There are things that can be changed hopefully for the better, IMO DRS and tyre rules need simplifying, rethinking of downforce to allow close racing.

But until now I think we have good reasons to be optimistic about Liberty. Let's hope it goes on like that.

Yes exactly, You're on the money with that one :thumbsup:

I think we are all guilty of the "rose tinted" view of motorsport. I watched an old 80's Group C race on Youtube the other day and yes the cars were wonderful to watch but apart from lapping I think there was just one or two overtakes during the entire race. Not a direct comparison but you see what I mean :)

I think part of the issue is that we had neither good action nor compelling cars for the previous rules cycle. We can forgive depressed overtake numbers if the cars are spectacular to watch - like in 2017, so far. It's harder to swallow a processional race when the cars aren't even running at 10/10 due to tire preservation strategy. :)

That aside, I agree. It wasn't always amazing in past decades either. It comes and goes. Seems like Mercedes and Ferrari have pretty comparable machines and pretty level talent this year, though, so again... so far so good this season. Red Bull also has the talent, and history tells us the car will come along sooner or later.

It's refreshing to tune into the race on Sunday and not actually know who's going to win.

Red Bull also has the talent, and history tells us the car will come along sooner or later.

Their upgrades for this weekend are supposedly so radical that it's almost an entirely new car, so hopefully they can get in gear and catch up with the boys in red and silver.

I was wondering, is it possible for Liberty Media to create a F1 channel/network?
(Something like the WWE network, for example)

Where you can view all races of the past F1 era. But also watch live sessions and real timing etc
Or is that a problem with tv rights etc?

Live sessions would probably be a problem with tv rights but past seasons (maybe beyond a certain minimum, say 5 years old or older) might be possible. I'd definitely watch such a thing and probably would even pay a reasonable sum of money for a yearly subscription.

Now just introduce ground effect aerodynamics and get rid of the huge wings and we're set :D
. Interresting comment. I recently watched a video with a guy attempting to educate non-Indy fans with Alonzo's announcement to drive at Indy. He was talking about the wings and said there will be more emphasis on ground effects and smaller wings next year. F1 listen up please.

. Interresting comment. I recently watched a video with a guy attempting to educate non-Indy fans with Alonzo's announcement to drive at Indy. He was talking about the wings and said there will be more emphasis on ground effects and smaller wings next year. F1 listen up please.

Yes it an interesting concept. If people haven't seen the concept sketches for the 2018 Indycar you can try a quick Google search...

indycar-2018-indycar-unveil-2017-2018-indycar-render.jpg

The front and rear wings will be reduced greatly and they are aiming for 70-80% of the total downforce to be generated by the underbody. Will be very interesting to see what the racing will be like if that goes ahead. It's probably my #1 "what if" scenario.

However I do sometimes love the fact that even on crazy circuits these guys still manage to pass one another! lol

I was concerned that the priority was to social media, super bowl experience and pre race entertainment. I am encouraged by "We’ve also begun to work with the FIA ..." just like to see this brought to the forefront. And as an American I hope they don't make it too American aka NASCAR/IndyCar.
Bernie controlled that sport like Joseph Stalin. Everything from the radio broadcast you hear to the color of the grass to the hue of the lens on the camera. You can bank on that.
And he also controlled the contracts. This article goes far, but not far enough in explaining just how tightly controlled the sport.
That is good up to a point, but then you run into what NASCAR ran into, which was basically the fans revolting against globalism in effect, instead of staying true to the roots.
Bernie, like Bill France, did some really good things, but F1 was in a free fall and he needed to go. He just didn't understand the new world.
Being more like NASCAR would be bad. Being more like IndyCar, which is what is going to happen sans ovals, would be good.
You're an American?!? Oh my. You must be so flamboyant. Whats it like being so flamboyant? Do you talk too loud in gift shops overseas? j/k. I'm too far from PC to say that with a straight face. Lol.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 366 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%