Lewis Hamilton Larbalestier

-EDIT-

On reflection it looks like the biggest mistake was Mclaren trying to regain by lying the 3rd place they accidentally gave away under the safety car.

To be honest i think the drivers are the innocent part here as this is a mistake made by the pitwalls. Though the FIA should have got this sorted a week ago, its a messy way to resovle this issue.

More excellent work from the F.I.A. (Ferrari Internal Assistance),nice to see they learned nothing at all from last years various howlers they made,roll on another season of behind the scenes F1 farce,it just makes me enjoy all the other proper racing out there even more e.g. WSBK.

• Andrew Evans

f1 is like eastenders for geezers.... i love the whole soap opera aspect...

• Wido Rossen

Lewis Hamilton and McLaren have been excluded from classification in the Australian GP 'for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on March 29'.
The reigning F1 champion had finished fourth in Melbourne but was awarded a podium finish after third placed Jarno Trulli was penalised for overtaking the Briton during a safety car period.
Doom and gloom: Reigning champion Lewis Hamilton tumultuous start to the new F1 season has taken another turn for the worse after the FIA stripped McLaren of their Melbourne points
The Italian was punished by a 25-second penalty following the incident on lap 57 at Melbourne, which relegated him from third to 12th in the final classification and saw Hamilton promoted from fourth to third.
But both drivers were called before the stewards in Sepang today to address new evidence on the incident.
Cause for celebration: Toyota's Jarno Trulli has be re-awarded his podium finish in Melbourne
Although Toyota yesterday insisted that they would not be pursuing their right to appeal, having studied recent precedents in the sport which have all been rejected, Trulli's third place has now been dramatically reinstated at the costly expense of McLaren.

Following the hearing, the stewards decided to reinstate Trulli's third place and to sanction Hamilton and McLaren by excluding them from the race classification.

They explained their decision in a statement, which read: 'The stewards having considered the new elements presented to them from the 2009 Australian Formula One Grand Prix.
'We consider that driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards at the hearing on Sunday 29th March 2009, a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.
'Under Article 158 of the International Sporting Code the driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes are excluded from the race classification for the 2009 Australian Grand Prix and the classification is amended accordingly.'

hehe, i was waiting for all the McClaren fans to start pointing fingers at Ferrari :) (just joking, before anybody bites my head off). If Jarno past Lewis under SC then the rulling is correct. If Lewis is lying, well then he has made another rookie mistake.
I would be more concerned that the F1 champion has cheated than the FIA having spoken a bit too soon. The FIA made a decision and Toyota dropped the chance to argue it. Why then need to go look further into it. Some guy obviously accidently worked this out and now there is some proper evidence.
I got no problem with what the FIA did, they worked with the info they had.

Looks like a right mess but i think it comes down to the fact that Mclaren accidentally gave away a 3rd place they were entitled to in the race then when the stewards came round asking about it after the race they saw the opportunity to undo the mistake and claim it back.

Trouble is they chose to do this by lying to the stewards and as a result they've been caught out.

... Race 1 without Ron 'rulebook' Denis in command and they are already missing him.

Vettel's called in too, maybe he won't get his penalty too, it seems the judges in Australia weren't on top.

I agree with the decision, Hamilton almost caused Trulli to loose 5 points, (4th place if he didn't pass back Hamilton because he doesn't let him to do that), only because he didn't know the rules, and then he tries to put all that on his team... not too nice if you ask me...

BTW I don't think FIA is Ferrari International Assistance, or ever was
1. because they penalized Ferraris too if they did something against the rules,
2. because this year Ferrari&McLaren is out from title fight. (I think)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

Ecclestone and the Ferrari Internationale de l'Automobile will of course be happy now, at least it means their beloved Ferrari haven't lost out to McLaren and are still on target to win (meaning be handed) another Championship. I wonder where the extra evidence came from?

Enough of this stupidity and pointless rule changing, F1 has been a laughing stock for the last few years, FFS get back to racing!

Regards

McLaren won't appeal Hamilton exclusion

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74150
McLaren has decided not to appeal Lewis Hamilton's exclusion from the Australian Grand Prix.

Hamilton was disqualified from the race result on Thursday after the FIA stewards deemed the Briton and his McLaren team had "acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards" following the Melbourne race, where Hamilton was elevated to third following a penalty to Toyota's Jarno Trulli.

Following the discovery of new evidence, believed to be radio transmissions, the stewards summoned both Trulli and Hamilton again today and decided to withdrawn the Italian's penalty while throwing the Briton out of the race.

McLaren said in a statement on Thursday that the team thought the FIA had already reviewed the radio transmissions after the race, and believed "it was necessary to discuss them with the stewards on that date."

The team said it will not appeal Hamilton's exclusion.

"The FIA Stewards have reviewed their decision of Sunday 29th March 2009, and have excluded Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton from the results of the 2009 Australian Grand Prix," said McLaren in a statement.

"Vodafone McLaren Mercedes understands that the Stewards made their decision on the basis of reviewing radio transmissions between the driver and the Team.

"The Team mistakenly believed that the radio transmissions had been reviewed by the FIA on Sunday 29th March 2009, and consequently did not believe it was necessary to discuss them with the Stewards on that date.

"Nonetheless, the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team now regrets that it did not do so, accepts the Stewards' decision and will not appeal
."

hey, it was all just mclaren april fool's day joke on the world. Of course they didn't lie, they were deliberately missleading for the sake of the joke. Give Lewis his third!:woop: :fingers-crossed:
:funnypost:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 289 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 194 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years