Lewis Hamilton Silences Critics

He hasn't really silenced his critics, Merc qualified 3rd last year and they have shown that they start well but fall off towards the end. This also creates another problem, if they are in the title race do they have the same resources Ferrari and Red Bull have to be able to develop the current car while also working the next car.

I'm sure they are capable financially but Mercedes are relatively inexperienced when it comes to a title battle and tend to always stop development of the current car to start on the next car. I think even if they have a show at the WCC or WDC this year they might have to give it up to focus on next year which will be their ultimate aim.

Sorry, but we've all seen him "developing" the Mercedes the last 3 years. That's what I call a myth buster
I call that testing limitation.
Everybody was limited by testing and yet Mercedes lost clearly the development battle. From the win in China they went to hardly scoring points. So I guess Vettel and the rest of them did a better job in developing the car, with the limited testing they had...

Let's not forget that Mercedes had switched to a 60% windtunnel in the middle of the season...

I think it was Lotus Renault, who did that mid 2011 and look where they've gone - from 2 podiums at the start of the season to hardly scoring any points at the end.

Testing limitation plays a huge role, and not many teams can afford to completely rebuild a car for one driver as RB did in 2012 for Vettel.

As for Hamilton, I think he'll gonna regret that interview soon. To silence his critics, he should've at least waited a few races and won some of them. That's the right time to play the wise-man and talk about critics, but not after 1 mediocre race and a 5th place.

Again.... where is Mclaren? Looking at Mclaren he definitely did the right decision even if the rest of his races are only 5th places.
Perez could not even get into Q3 or take a point and they are even talking about scrapping the whole car.

To say he did not jump team at the right time is crazy.

To say that you can judge a whole season on one race is even more crazy. McLaren have shown in the past that they are probably the best team to develop a car throughout a season. They've got plently of time to fix their problems and finish well ahead of Mercedes and especially ahead of Hamilton.

As much as I would love Hamilton do be right about his decision, it's just too early to draw a clear picture of his move to Mercedes being right or wrong.

Perez could not even get into Q3 or take a point and they are even talking about scrapping the whole car.

To say he did not jump team at the right time is crazy.

Perez didn't get into Q3 because McLaren have outsmarted themselves by putting dry tyres on his car when the track was still wet.

And it has been confirmed yesterday that they won't go back to the MP4-27 concept as they feel the current has much more potential, once they get their issues fixed.

I can't help thinking what MSC would have done with the Mercedes this year.

one thing is for sure. He wouldnt have yapped back at his critics after the very first race! ;),but thats Michael ..the 7xWDC,not Lewis the 7xBagel Champion. Talking back to Sterling Moss and Jackie Steward!..ha what a joke...silence Vettel and Alonso first before u pick on old gizzers

When is this guy gona grow up,hmm?
I have to agree with this one. I defend Hamilton a lot but there was no need for him to say this. He has so many races to go.

one thing is for sure. He wouldnt have yapped back at his critics after the very first race! ;),but thats Michael ..the 7xWDC,not Lewis the 7xBagel Champion. Talking back to Sterling Moss and Jackie Steward!..ha what a joke...silence Vettel and Alonso first before u pick on old gizzers

When is this guy gona grow up,hmm?

Seven time bagel champion? Oh my god you made my day lol :D Lewis has matured enough by the way. It still baffles me the amount of stick he still gets. He is one of the quickest drivers of all time and he has been awe inspiring in formula one. It's time to give him some credit I think hmm?
You're right but maybe he should stop talking completely. He's giving people reasons to bash him. One race, 5th place. That is not special.

Also love how people say Hamilton should "prove himself"..
Really? Let´s look at the teammates of the other guys and see if anyone except Alonso has truly "proved" themselves.

Hamilton - 2 time champ (Alonso) - 1 time champ (Button) - Kovalainen - Rosberg.

Alonso - Marques - Yoong - Trulli - 1 time champ (Villeneuve (2 races) - Fisichella - Hamilton - Piquet Jr - Grosjean

Raikkonen - Heidfeld - Coulthard - Montoya - Wurz - de la Rosa - Massa - Badoer - Fisichella - Grosjean

Vettel - Heidfeld - Liuzzi - Bourdais - Webber
I like that summary.

Take Button then.
The thing is the 28 is a dog. Hamilton jumped to a car that wasn´t a dog.
Yes we all know Mclaren are masters at turning things around but this isn´t like 2009, it´s worse then that.

But it's been the first race of the season lol. 18 Races still to go.

Let's wait for some really hot temperatures to see if this years Mercedes really isn't a dog. Their tyre-deg has always been quite ok in colder conditions, whereas it has been terrible in casual conditions.

And how do you know if and how different the problems of the MP4-28 are compared to the MP4-24? Any sources or top secret technical information you've got?

May I ask you about your age? Hope I'm not talking to a 14 year old but it appears more and more to be the case.

Sorry, but we've all seen him "developing" the Mercedes the last 3 years.
It's a completely different Formula 1 since the testing limitation. You can't compare the drivers and the development in the 90s and early 00s with today. One thing is a fact: No other driver spent so much time with testing. Of course he did not develop the car like Newey but it's an important part - and it was even more important back then - to get the most accurate feedback from the driver. Newey explained this a while ago. So this is where this "myth" comes from and I'm pretty sure it's not just a myth.

Edit: And by the way: We all know why Merc was/is crap. Incompetent people and no rule changes.

Also love how people say Hamilton should "prove himself"..
Really? Let´s look at the teammates of the other guys and see if anyone except Alonso has truly "proved" themselves.

Hamilton - 2 time champ (Alonso) - 1 time champ (Button) - Kovalainen - Rosberg.

Alonso - Marques - Yoong - Trulli - 1 time champ (Villeneuve (2 races) - Fisichella - Hamilton - Piquet Jr - Grosjean

Raikkonen - Heidfeld - Coulthard - Montoya - Wurz - de la Rosa - Massa - Badoer - Fisichella - Grosjean

Vettel - Heidfeld - Liuzzi - Bourdais - Webber

That's indeed a good list, but the only thing that matters is (unfortunately)

Hamilton - 1x WDC

Alonso - 2x WDC

Raikkonen - 1x WDC

Vettel - 3x WDC

But it's been the first race of the season lol. 18 Races still to go.
Still doesn´t change the fact that Mclaren themselves contemplated to scrap the whole car and bring back last years car.

Let's wait for some really hot temperatures to see if this years Mercedes really isn't a dog. Their tyre-deg has always been quite ok in colder conditions, whereas it has been terrible in casual conditions.
You can´t say because an older car had good tire management the new one will as well.
The car does NOT have good tire management in cold conditions, did you not watch the race?

Look at Button´s and Perez stint on the SS tire. Button did 4 laps on SS.
393606_454831241255439_722283495_n.png

And how do you know if and how different the problems of the MP4-28 are compared to the MP4-24? Any sources or top secret technical information you've got?
The problems were bad with the 24 but they never talked about scrapping the whole project like they have with the 28.
They even ran the car illegally low in testing and that´s where their "impressive" time came from at Jerez.

May I ask you about your age? Hope I'm not talking to a 14 year old but it appears more and more to be the case.
I´m 24 and you?

Still doesn´t change the fact that Mclaren themselves contemplated to scrap the whole car and bring back last years car.

You can´t say because an older car had good tire management the new one will as well.
The car does NOT have good tire management in cold conditions, did you not watch the race?

Look at Button´s and Perez stint on the SS tire.
393606_454831241255439_722283495_n.png

The problems were bad with the 24 but they never talked about scrapping the whole project like they have with the 28.
They even ran the car illegally low in testing and that´s where their "impressive" time came from at Jerez.

I´m 24 and you?

#1: As I've told you before, they'll stay with the current car and develop it.

#2: I was talking about Mercedes having a poor tire management in hot conditions in the last 2 years, therefore we should wait for the next few races before we decide about their car being a dog or not. Why you try to persuade me about McLaren's tire-management being poor is beyond me, as I was talking about Mercedes. Remember China last year? Cold conditions and they had to keep the tires warm rather than keep them alive - that's when the W03 was a beast. One race later (Bahrain), in completely different conditions they were mediocre again. That's what I'm talking about, Melbourne has been pretty similar to China 2012 temperatur-wise.

#3: Yes, the MP4-28 is a disappointment so far, but once again, they have the know-how to develop the car into the right direction. I wouldn't go as far as to say that the 28 is worse than the 24 just because there were talks about reverting to the old chassis. Especially, as it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to revert back to the MP4-23 style in 2009 with all the changes that took place that particular year. :p

#4: I'm 21.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years