Legal Mod's for RD

As has been posted in the News section of the website, SimBin has taken a stand on illegal modding. It's available here if you have not read it: http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/07/cross-conversions-open-letter-to-the-community-from-simbin/ RaceDepartment has stated that we will not run illegal content on our servers and of course we do not allow discussion of pirated/illegal content in the forums.

As I am currently the one picking car classes and venues for the Club Racing events I find it easiest to stick with content from the game and the addon's. There are some that would like to use modded content, tracks and cars and I would use them if I knew they were good. My experience in sim racing was limited in the past to Indy cars and F1, more recently a deep immersion in RD and the Race 07 game. I can barely make a skin let alone convert or make a track or vehicle!

Because I lack a knowledge of so many of the other simulations and games it's very difficult for me to determine if a mod is legal for use in the RD servers. My read is that a mod should be OK if it was:
  • Scratched, meaning not hacking parts from other sim and collected them together
  • Made for Race 07
  • From earlier SimBim product[GTR, GTL, etc]. It could be original content converted or scratch built and converted
  • Was made from scratch for a non-SimBin sim and converted to Race 07
Some of the readme's that accompany mods are clear as to how they were prepared and some are not. My problem is with the vague ones, the one's where I have no history for the track as to which game it might have come from or just how original the mod might be.

My post is to ask for your help as modder's to help me determine which content to add to our Resourses area so it can be used in the servers and available to all the RD members. The first track I'd like information on is "Singapore GP 2008 v1_0000 by 6ecko" which appears to be a scratch track built for rfactor and converted to R07, is that the fact?

I hope you guy's can help me with this. Everyone appreciates a good mod and it's nice to see them used in the Club. Thanks!

Melbourne by Frank Alexandre from rFactor/GTR2 from GTR2 for Race 07 - 24-05-2008 - v. 1.1 - by meck2 -
Melbourne from GP4 version 1.1
Converted from GP4 to Rfactor.
Big thanks to shutt1e for give the basic steps to convert the track from GP4 format.
This track has been made for GP4 by Team Cason and Caelen and converted by me for Rfactor with Cason permission

This is a legal track for us to use?

SimBin probably has legal stuff concerning all conversions, that means GTR2 -> R07 conversions aswell, if the content generated was simbin property. A 3rd party legal mod for GTR2 can ofcourse be legally converted to R07.

SimBin probably has legal stuff concerning all conversions, that means GTR2 -> R07 conversions aswell, if the content generated was simbin property [...]

As far as their open letter goes (down since the blog is as well, but still available via archive.org (slow loading): Link), it is kind of allowed, as long as a "DVD check" is included. However, I don't know how such a check is implemented (especially in steam versions).
In the end, it kind of comes down to "if you own GTR2, you are allowed to play GTR2>R07 conversions", IMHO.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back