1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left foot or right foot braking? (thumb brakers, yall just move along...)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rich Dozier, Mar 29, 2011.

1. I started racing NR2003 and those brain numbing ovals. :eek:

As such I only used my right foot for gas and braking. I have found it almost impossible to adapt to using my left foot for anything but to shoo the cat away. <insert Old Dog New Tricks Joke here>:cool:

Anybody got any input on the subject?

2. I wish I was in your situation :). Got a clutch recently, but I just can't get rid of left foot braking...
  3. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

I'm a left foot braker too, but then that is how most Rally drivers do it. it's almost essential in Rally cars.

Rich, it's just a matter of practice, but be careful not to overdo it, it can result in a lot of rear end losing spins if you hold the brake at the wrong time.
  4. I use my right foot for braking, I used left before, but learned how to use right as it's essential when driving a car irl. And you know what, it wasn't easy for everyone at driving school using their right foot to brake, but it was no problem for me then:) In road racing you can do setups and can learn the track, so you don't really need it anywhere, in rally I prefer lift-off oversteer:)
  5. Dariusz Swiderski

Dariusz Swiderski
    Premium Member

I almost exclusively use my left, because my 1st wheel was without clutch so thats how i got use to drive. But often, i switch to right foot in emergency, when i have to dump the clutch for a moment. Braking with left gives you more control over weight transfer, which is the most essential ingredient for keeping the car in check while cornering & braking. I,m not saying that is better, just easier a bit.
    Everything is just practice, even if you never used your left foot Rich. :)
  6. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

i left foot brake as well. it was not easy at first but got used to it. takes a bit of getting used to but once you get it,you won't go back to right foot braking.
  7. I can definitely see where the left foot would work better at turn in thru to the apex. You guys should see the rt foot tapdance I do when I find my self pushing in a corner.:cool:
  8. in sim i do left breaking but not in real life driving....