• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

Left foot or right foot braking? (thumb brakers, yall just move along...)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rich Dozier, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rich Dozier

Rich Dozier

Ratings:
    +0
    I started racing NR2003 and those brain numbing ovals. :eek:

As such I only used my right foot for gas and braking. I have found it almost impossible to adapt to using my left foot for anything but to shoo the cat away. <insert Old Dog New Tricks Joke here>:cool:

Anybody got any input on the subject?

Rich

2. Senad Subasic

Senad Subasic

Ratings:
    +1,901
    I wish I was in your situation :). Got a clutch recently, but I just can't get rid of left foot braking...

3. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes

Ratings:
    +1,821
    I'm a left foot braker too, but then that is how most Rally drivers do it. it's almost essential in Rally cars.

Rich, it's just a matter of practice, but be careful not to overdo it, it can result in a lot of rear end losing spins if you hold the brake at the wrong time.

4. Péter Bártfai

Péter Bártfai

Ratings:
    +110
    I use my right foot for braking, I used left before, but learned how to use right as it's essential when driving a car irl. And you know what, it wasn't easy for everyone at driving school using their right foot to brake, but it was no problem for me then:) In road racing you can do setups and can learn the track, so you don't really need it anywhere, in rally I prefer lift-off oversteer:)

5. Dariusz Swiderski

Dariusz Swiderski

Ratings:
    +33
    I almost exclusively use my left, because my 1st wheel was without clutch so thats how i got use to drive. But often, i switch to right foot in emergency, when i have to dump the clutch for a moment. Braking with left gives you more control over weight transfer, which is the most essential ingredient for keeping the car in check while cornering & braking. I,m not saying that is better, just easier a bit.
    Everything is just practice, even if you never used your left foot Rich. :)

6. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,078
    i left foot brake as well. it was not easy at first but got used to it. takes a bit of getting used to but once you get it,you won't go back to right foot braking.

7. Rich Dozier

Rich Dozier

Ratings:
    +0
    I can definitely see where the left foot would work better at turn in thru to the apex. You guys should see the rt foot tapdance I do when I find my self pushing in a corner.:cool:

8. William Elgh

William Elgh

Ratings:
    +100
    in sim i do left breaking but not in real life driving....