1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by TOFFEE, Aug 8, 2010.

1. I added a terrain to my layout,but in the Top View I can only see the layout,not the terrain and in the 3D View the terrain is above the layout.How to raise up the layout,so it sits on the terrain?The terrain is made of a height map with hi res projection map for reference and the layout contains updated and smoothed GPS data.They both should match up quite nicely.
  2. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

If you make the track sit exactly on the terrain, there will be flickering or Z-flashing between the road and terrain textures.
  3. OK,so how to put the layout above the terrain?
  4. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

The track should have nodes.
    Click on the button that looks like a blue S-bend with a red circle on it.
    Then, click and drag a circle around the whole road. Or you can press CTRL+A. This will select all of the nodes.
    Underneath the top view, there is another view. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in on it, as far as you can go, but zoom in on one of the nodes.
    Zoom in on the track in 3D view as well, until you can see the road, as if you were from a trackside camera.
    In the bottom left view (it's either called side or front view, I'm not sure) hold down SHIFT, and click+drag the node up, until the flickering between the road and terrain stops. This moves the whole track upwards. The reason you have to zoom in so far is so the movements are very precise, and there may be an inch between the road and the terrain, which should be enough to stop the flickering.
    Move the track up until it stops flickering. Then move it down slightly until it starts to flicker again. Then, move it back up very slightly until it stops flickering again. Now you have found the closest that track can be to the terrain without the textures flickering.

I hope this is clear enough.

EDIT: Cool, 100th post!
  5. Yep,it`s very clear,you couldn`t have explained it better.Thank you very much for your help.I`ll give it a try.
  6. Now I know how to move the layout upwards above the terrain,but now I`ve got another problem,the layout of the track doesn`t match up the the same layout on the terrain which has a hi res projection map .This projection map is only for reference .How can I move the layout or terrain that they match up together and I can start editing polys of the layout and the terrain.And why I`m unable to see the terrain in the Top View since I`ve imported the terrain using XPacker,it only shows in the 3d View.I`d like to have the reference from the Top View as well. Picture.jpg
  7. It's a good idea if we all use the same words. By layout, I assume you mean track. If we all use our own terminology, we'll all become even more baffled.

If your terrain is actually an object (the words 'terrain' and 'object' have very specific meanings in btb*), it cannot be shown in the top view. One thing you could do is load a background image, which does show in the top view. It won't be the right size, but you can resize it (hold Ctrl to maintain the aspect ratio). It'll also show in the 3d view if it is enabled via View > Options. It'll be difficult to line it up properly with the terrain object, but I don't think that'll be too important.

You can line up the background image and the terrain object (the former can only be moved in the top view, the latter only in the 3d view), then in top view line up the track with the background image before raising/lowering the track.

* but funnily enough, I think 'terrain object' would sufficiently describe what you're using.

btw, the site in my signature has a list of btb controls. One useful bit of info is that you can restrict track node movement to vertical only.