Laserscanned rearview mirror?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Just renewed my subscription again and had a blast driving the IndyCar around various road tracks.

One thing that really annoys me is that I can't select some sort of bonnetview because it's not realistic, but they do put a really HUGE rearview mirror on an openwheeler.

Ehm pardon? Since when do openwheelers have center rearview mirrors :D

In those games you could also choose an alternative view :) I find it still strange that developers think that the classic cockpit position is the view real drivers have. In my own car i don't see where my feet are. Neither can I see the speedometer when I am looking at the road.

A mix between the classic cockpitview and bonnetview would be far better imo.

In those games you could also choose an alternative view :) I find it still strange that developers think that the classic cockpit position is the view real drivers have. In my own car i don't see where my feet are. Neither can I see the speedometer when I am looking at the road.

A mix between the classic cockpitview and bonnetview would be far better imo.

Agreed 100%, and which is why I'm still rallying for a bonnet view in iR.

The virtual mirror is there for those that are on single monitor systems running low FOVs, thus removing their ability to see the in-car mirror. There was a debate about whether to have one or not back in the beta days with strong arguments on both sides, but ultimately the decision was made to keep it in, quite rightly. It would be ridiculous not to include it, from both a safety and sporting point of view.

I personally only run it in cars in which the mirror happens to be positioned awkwardly in my monitor bezel area, but that's just an unfortunate artifact of my particular setup.

The bonnet view argument is a nonsense; with the correct setup, the cockpit view IS what the driver sees; go and look up the mathematics behind it - if you don't have it set up correctly, then that's just a lack of understanding on your part and no fault of the sim.

I think i have been behind the wheel of real car enough to have an opinion what I as a driver see or not see :) In a real car you look through a window not against it. When I change my FOV to lower values I do get a clearer view but feels really strange.

Maybe I have overlooked the option but there isnt a way to move your seat forward?

I find it still strange that developers think that the classic cockpit position is the view real drivers have. In my own car i don't see where my feet are. Neither can I see the speedometer when I am looking at the road.
Probably because iRacing is trying to simulate what a real driver would see. I don't see many drivers out on the road where I live sat on the bonnets of their cars, driving to work, lol.

I don't recall seeing where my feet are when I'm driving the cars in iRacing, lol. Also, if I'm concentrating on the track/cars ahead, the speedometer and wheel are in my peripheral vision, much like they are when driving a real car.

:wink:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back