Lance Stroll to Test For Williams in 2016

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
strol.jpg

Canadian Formula 3 driver and son of Billionaire Lawrence Stroll has reportedly signed for Martini Williams Mercedes as either test or development driver for the 2016 season.

With current test driver Susie Wolff announcing her retirement from racing at the end of this month and development driver Alex Lynn a contender to replace Adrian Sutil as reserve for the British squad, a potential opening for the 17 year old racer could be available at Grove next year.

According to the BBC, sources at Williams suggest Stroll's role will be separate from that of Williams' reserve driver, whose job is to provide cover for the race drivers and should include both simulator work and driving duties in older spec Formula One cars that fall outside of the testing regulations in force within Formula One.

Stroll's position and title - which is likely to be either test driver or development driver - are to be confirmed later this month.

It is understood by the BBC that a "significant financial contribution" will be made by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll in order to aid Lance's progression into the premier category with the Williams team.

Stroll has shown some serious promise in his rookie European F3 season in 2015 with one victory and a further six podium positions en route to 5th in the final standings against some seriously talented young drivers. Backing up this result are previous championship victories in the Toyota Racing Series New Zealand (2015) and Italian Formula 4 Series (2014) proving that despite undoubted financial advantages this young driver might actually bring more to the Grove-based team than just cash and could prove to be one to look out for in the future.

Stroll is part of the Ferrari Driver Academy and the second youngest driver to be signed to a Formula One team after one Max Verstappen, who has more than proven that age is no barometer of talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
He only got the job because his dad has payed a lot of money to Williams.

Maldonado Style.

He ain't 'that' big of a talent in my opinion :)

Damm you money you ruin F1

Yes I have to agree this does make me a little sad.

Every driver deserves a chance but F1 is governed so much by budget now it's a shame that one driver is overlooked for another because a blank cheque was waved under their nose.

If he delivers the goods, fine I'm happy for him but it's another case of the GP2 feeder category being overlooked for someone with a massive financial backing again.

Drivers in GP2 have to generate large amounts of sponsorship and I would imagine some of them are wondering why they bother!

• Deleted member 205301

Totally disagree with you Gilles...
He's the one that impressed me the most this year in the F3'grid... He learned a lot from these multiple errors

Totally disagree with you Gilles...
He's the one that impressed me the most this year in the F3'grid... He learned a lot from these multiple errors
As a dutchman i am used to Verstappen's F3 talent

I'm not sure but he wasn't in the top 5 of the F3 EU championship.

Of course he won things in the past but the reason behind this Williams job is purely money

Last edited:
He only got the job because his dad has payed a lot of money to Williams.

Maldonado Style.

He ain't 'that' big of a talent in my opinion :)

Damm you money you ruin F1
If you had said it was too early for him I'd agree. Are other drivers more deserving? Yes, but that is always the case. However, he's only 17, he's won 2 series and finished 5th in his rookie F3 season so it's not like he's untalented.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back