Laguna Special Motorcycle Controller by IASystems

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
I think all sim racers that are hooked to four wheel racing at some point considered making a switch to try out a motorbike racing game or simulation. But got turned off by the fact that you can only control it with your keyboard, mouse or Xbox or PS3 controllers. Well that was until today as IASystems is developing the New Laguna Special Motorcycle Controller.

The developer said on the RaceDepartment Sim Racing Hardware forums:

"The Laguna Special is the exact dimensions of a real Suzuki GSXR and uses an original GSXR seat. Riding it can be a real workout just like on a real bike"

[youtube]

The video was taken playing PiBoSo's GP Bikes and for other motorcycle games such as SBKX, GP500, MX Simulator, TDU1 and TDU2 videos and pictures are expected shortly and we will of course post those as here the moment they are released.

What do you think? Will controllers like this finally open up the market for serious motorcycle racing on PC?
View the Post on the Blog

The only true comment I can leave is to say thank you to Bram for his support and posting this here. I hope that more will realize, we need to push the fact we dont have the controllers like in the car community, its time to get out and do something about it. I giving my 5 cents worth.

Upvote 0
Wow, that's cool! I really like bikesims/games, but due the lack of proper controller I don't play them much. That sweet thing would change that for sure.

Upvote 0
I can build systems with any bike setup, if you want apehangers and forward controls no problem. The bikes in TDU2 are so better to control, I love the Duke and on Hawaii its great up in the winding hills. Its a shame Atari did not program clutch for the bikes as in TDU1. Merry Xmas guys

Upvote 0
Are you kidding? You don't get a bike around a track by "turning" the handlebars! Where is the "pressure" you apply, to the bars, the seat, pedals and the shifting of weight front/rear? Can you steer with throttle and brake? Still a long way to go I think.

Upvote 0
I was going to say that Dennis, but you beat me to it. I would say that would need to be a game simulation setting (replicate real racer), so that you can use the correct pressure in the correct direction to turn the bike. I'm no racer, but that was steering more like a jetski than a bike

Upvote 0
Ill take this any day over a controller or wheel, it all adds to the immersion and as Gp bikes has rider movement in the controls, and the latest update incorporated a kinect system interface. You could replicate body movement into the system,
Whilst you'l never be able to fully replicate a gyroscopic effect and the effects of weight transfer this is a big step forward for your controls
And its not something that been made overnight this project has been running a number of years and has had allot of work, time and dedication put into it..:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I was thinking. Kinect may prove itself very useful for a change. All in all, its nice to see an innovative idea on the hardware market and this would be so much more fun than using the mouse/keyboard/controller.

Upvote 0
Are you kidding? You don't get a bike around a track by "turning" the handlebars! Where is the "pressure" you apply, to the bars, the seat, pedals and the shifting of weight front/rear? Can you steer with throttle and brake? Still a long way to go I think.
Bingo. This is no better than a handheld controller. You steer a bike by way of counter steering pressure on the bars, not a pendulum motion on the bars.

Anything short of an actual steering stem with rotation about the axis is false and misleading.

Upvote 0
As above, you counter-steer a bike around a track, that is: to turn left you push on the left bar and pull on the right, not steer left to go left like a car. This happens in tandem with leaning the bike over and this is why all attempts to make bike controllers before have felt wrong and toyish to bike riders.

Upvote 0
I was going to say that Dennis, but you beat me to it. I would say that would need to be a game simulation setting (replicate real racer), so that you can use the correct pressure in the correct direction to turn the bike. I'm no racer, but that was steering more like a jetski than a bike
As I said to Dennis. Your static in a room, until you really think about it go back to playing kiddy games

Upvote 0
As above, you counter-steer a bike around a track, that is: to turn left you push on the left bar and pull on the right, not steer left to go left like a car. This happens in tandem with leaning the bike over and this is why all attempts to make bike controllers before have felt wrong and toyish to bike riders.
If you open your eyes and THINK, you will see to go right you push left!!! If you understould the coding in programs you would know that to use pressure you would need to be using loadcells to steer, that would mean while sittins still in a room you feel no natural forces from the earth but want to act as if you have them and would flip the bike on the first curve. I know Ive tried it!!!

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 374 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years