Lag - need your help pls

Hello all,

since few days i'm having some troubles on some tracks such Brands, Imola and Nordschfield. In all track with trees gtr evo goes jerkily (i don't know if this word is the right one). What is surprising is that it happened from one day to another and I really don't understand why.

I have windows xp with a radeon HD4850 512 which should be more than enough to run GTR evo, in fact it worked without any problem until few days ago.

Can you give me any advice to fix this problem please?

Thanks,
Claudio

...Did anyone try to set a different cpu core affiliation for the game?
So that it runs on one core instead of 2.
I know there were problems with this on older games, maybe it helps.
Often these kind of issues manifested themselfs through stuttering and fps drops.

The multi core isn't the problem (I have an E8500 dual core), the memory is ok, 2GB in a XP should do it (I have "real" 3GB) the board shouldn't be problem either.

Directly to Claudio:

• Do you use any other graphical intensive programs? Do any of them have problems?
  • Are you only running Race07 (and STEM) and no other resource "hog" program?
  • Are your drivers up to date?

I'm shooting in all directions, I bet you already gone over these, but we never know… I might get lucky :D

Ok guys i found what was the problem. Joao, by asking me if my driver were up to date i opened the catalyst program. I just putted all settings of 3d tab by default and now its working perfctly. I guess I've changed some settings there somedays and never put it as it was.

I apprciate your help, thank you very much.

Claudio

I'm glad you solved your problem :wink2:

So far so good, even in Paul Ricard (where one can see the entire field on many of the track points), I haven't found any stuttering...

I'm starting to believe I was too hasty in immediately dropping visual distance when I had this "early" stuttering after the patch install.

Only time will truly tell…

Just to give some feedback on the above quoted...

There are good and bad "news":

The good news is that I had no stuttering.
Since yesterday I had allot of "homework" to do I was able to continuously run Race07 (started it early morning) and had it all day running. I alt-tabbed many times between my work and a nice jump into an online race. On total, along the day, at least I loaded 10 different tracks. At end of the day, I even went into an AF3K Monza practice event, without a single restart (computer or game) and had no stuttering.

The bad news is that, on my 1st on-line race, a few secs after 1st exiting the pits at Nurburgring GP, I had one of those freezes (8 to 10 secs).
The usual image freeze, followed by finding the car in a different position happened. In my view it seems a graphical thing. After that initial freeze, I didn't have a single problem all day even with constant alt-tabbing.

In the replay, there were no interruptions (wish at least indicates no CPU overload), the car just goes from accelerating when exiting a turn, to slowing almost to a crawl and wenting straight outside of track (I don’t give impute while the image is frozen) until from my driving side the frozen ends and I get back to the controls (there is no graphical discontinuity in the replay, only a quick and "impossible" slowdown).

experienced some of the problems mentioned here as well: ffb causing a noticeable drop in fps, stuttering with a full grid etc. here's one that hasn't been mentioned: If the lil'map on the left hand side that shows your position in the field needs to be resized by the game, there's also a drop in fps.
I've dropped most of my visual settings and the stutter is gone, it's just a shame that with every new installment of the game your visuals get worse if you still happen to have the same pc you had when the original RACE hit the market 3 years ago. I used to be able to run everything on max, now I'm down to middle with the next add-on I'll be down to low settings, lol.

nvidia gforce 6600, Athlon64 single core, 1MB memory (and that is probably where the problems are ...)

The bad news is that, on my 1st on-line race, a few secs after 1st exiting the pits at Nurburgring GP, I had one of those freezes (8 to 10 secs).
The usual image freeze, followed by finding the car in a different position happened. In my view it seems a graphical thing. After that initial freeze, I didn't have a single problem all day even with constant alt-tabbing.

I always get the same problem on my first race. I get a very long freeze (few seconds) and then i can play for hours without anything. I have no idea why it's happening and as long as it doen't happen every two sec it's ok. Maybe someone has an explanation.

Eckhart, have you tried to check wheter there is dust on you video card's fan? sounds stupid but with an old card i got the same problem and after clen it it worked muuuuch better.

Claudio :beer:

I think I've posted this before so sorry if I repeat myself, also sorry if you dont think my comments help, but I think they do -

Having played the game on a number of machines my observations include much of the above that has already been mentioned, but, I would like to suggest the following :
1 - Graphics stutter is not always about your graphics card been overloaded. It can be affected by ram, by the pc autoupdating some other program.
2 - The main killers apart from draw distance and I would say in some cases MORE than draw distance are - Number of visible cars AND special effects level, especially on machines with lower spec graphics cards and RAM.
3 - I am convinced that as GTR Evo accesses the tracks graphics files, the state of your hard drive and its defrag state can affect the smooth loading and displaying of graphics. Think about it as you drive round your pc loads files from hard disk for the various sections of the track - if these files are defragmented - it will take longer for your pc to get then from disk also someone mentioned the first lap lags, could this be the pc loading the track into memory/pagefile the first time round and subsequently having it already there for lap 2 and so on?

In summary - watch the special effect levels, watch the number of visible cars, defrag regularly (but especially after updates or installing new tracks/mods). Note that in the update I think the did some work on these track files to assist with smoother loading/running - its the size of them them I think that causes problems (again more noticible on lower spec machines).

Hope this helps someone, would welcome any corrections if I am wrong, feedback if its constructive and praise I am worthy!!

3 - I am convinced that as GTR Evo accesses the tracks graphics files, the state of your hard drive and its defrag state can affect the smooth loading and displaying of graphics.

supported by all means, a while ago I allotted an extra 20 gb of space to my c: drive and, hey presto, the defragged green hell file was back again and running better than ever. For me, the loophole certainly is the memory available while playing, would have to upgrade here, but too lazy to do that for a game, so I'll stop moaning :)

Also, if one feels one has to downgrade the specs with every new patch: It's just that the visuals gets better and better to satisfy all the multi-core superduper gamers out there (whom I respect sincerely) while your good old home office PC stays the same, so if it could do max specs three years ago, don't be surprised if it can only do medium specs now; on second thoughts that's what's happening to me atm.

Stil stuttering even in lowest resolution possible. The only way is to set all environment details to minimum whatever the resolution. Would a complete reinstall of GTr evo solve the problem?

thanks

Assuming that the stuttering stems from texture memory, which I believ it does, then dropping the resolution is likely to have no effect as the textures that are loaded are the same at any given detail level unless the draw distance is reduced.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back