LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Very nice! This is some of the best terrain modeling I've seen is a race sim mod. Looks like professional civil engineering software, such as Inroads Suite, was used. I hope you don't get too carried away with the foliage. Terrain is indeed very immersive. A little shrubbery will do.

Looking good.

+1 to the coned or barricaded-off intersection idea. For no other reason than it keeps it grounded as a real place in my mind. :)
Cheers for the opinions / feedback... This will up the texture / poly amount so it might have to wait before I can get things more.... optimal, performance wise

Very nice! This is some of the best terrain modeling I've seen is a race sim mod. Looks like professional civil engineering software, such as Inroads Suite, was used. I hope you don't get too carried away with the foliage. Terrain is indeed very immersive. A little shrubbery will do.
Thanks a lot mate :) Really glad you're liking the terrain modelling...
It's only a displacement modifier on a plane in 3DS using a seriously high res satellite image (which slowed my pc down quite a lot).
Nothing really that fancy... But it seems to work quite nicely :)
Inroads suite... I might have to have a look into that if it can save me loads of time :)

I must admit I might be tempted to go crazy with the foliage... BUT... I will get things running smoothly before I do so... And I will use the KSLAYER system... So that what is rendered will depend on what world detail setting you use in game...
If you have this setting maxed out... you will get all of it... If you have this lower... you will only see certain blocks of foliage etc. Should be fine hopefully ;)

simply superlative -!!!!!
given a coffee using paypal
done with
mustang 68 bullit
quattro S1 walter
991 gt3rs manual
mclaren p1 gtr
wonderful !!!
neverending
Thanks a lot mate, very kind of you... Very nice choice of cars too ;) Hope you're getting some good laps in. I'm guessing by the McLaren P1 GTR that you realise just how fast a circuit (or loop) these roads are...
Bonus points go to the 1st person to break the 10 minute barrier ;) I've got close...lol
643_time_01-jpg.187899

Very nicely done. Pretty dangerous in it's current state with no guardrails (I died many times) but looks great and drives great! Nice work pal, enjoy a pint on me. :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot Brandon, very kind of you mate :) I love it that you're liking the look and the flow of it already... Yeah the rails are much needed... 1st I need to have a think if I want to stay with the constant shoulder width around the whole track.
Lots of the actual road doesn't have as wide a shoulder... so that bugs me a bit for realisms sake.... But then for playabilities sake it's a good thing to have a bit of room for error... Dilema! lol

Try an F1 car... afterwards... any car seems easy ;) It's a serious adrenaline rush... The complete opposite of cruising lol
btw on the subject of cruising... I will totally try and fit in the cruising AI at some point along the process after some surfaces get separated.
Hopefully though you're realising what I mean about this road isn't so much of a cruiser... It's too tempting to floor it :)

For the moment... embrace the danger ;) lol

It's too tempting to floor it :)

For the moment... embrace the danger ;) lol

Actually, kinda found the opposite because after going over the cliff several times I started to tread very carefully around most of the corners. :laugh: Once the rails and signs are up I'll have a bit more confidence to push it, but right now the further I get into the lap the more careful I become because I don't want to start all over again. :D Love it though, looking forward to some possible cruising even if it may be a bit treacherous! Also really looking forward to Pacific Coast getting updated because IMO you've really stepped up your game with this one. :thumbsup:

Finally made it around. :D

16:32 in the Diablo Jota... was comfortably into the 15s on lap 2 but ran out of fuel 4 minutes from the end. This is great fun to drive. One round of barriers + signs and it'll be up there with Lake Louise as a great spot for some extended driving.

I want to enjoy it, but like most of the huge tracks it makes my old wheel rattle so much I don't dare run a whole lap
Really sorry to hear that mate :(
apologies for suggesting this.. if you know this already..

Have you tried using the Pedal App? Paying attention to the white (FFB) bar...
as you drive around... If you notice the white bar spiking (going red), you could 1st try raising your filter setting in your advance controls tab... If that doesn't remove the spikes... you can also try lowering your FFB gain slightly.

And IIRC with my old wheel... lowering the Road Effects slider slightly got rid of some strong shaking, I had to do this with Lake Louise in particular.

I'd recommend saving your existing control settings first, Just in case you haven't saved it recently...
And create a Large Track control profile :) Hope some of this helps you enjoy some of the bigger tracks mate :)

Finally made it around. :D

16:32 in the Diablo Jota... was comfortably into the 15s on lap 2 but ran out of fuel 4 minutes from the end. This is great fun to drive. One round of barriers + signs and it'll be up there with Lake Louise as a great spot for some extended driving.
Really glad you made it round mate :)
And seriously jealous that you're driving that fantastic machine here lol
Also seriously honoured that the crazy 90's lamborghini's is going round here!
A gandini masterpiece sculpted by @A3DR what can I say... OMFG!
screenshot027-copy-jpg.186549

I've just seen the Need For Speed thread...
I will comment when I can stop drooling over the screenshots! :D

As you're testing this lambo around my track this isn't really off topic...
Everyone who sees this... Keep an eye on this thread... It's going to be Stellar!
** The Need For Speed - Car Collection **

I hope that Diablo sounds as good as it looks... especially through the tunnel....
Right I need to calm down now! lol

As you want laptimes, not the best I can do, goes offroad a couple of time and did a 26:31:850 with the Peugeot 504 TN driving peacefully and enjoying the ride ;).

I may win the slowest one :p

Hey there, tried Canyons again today with the Lotus Exos S1 and did a lap somewhat around 11mins, if I remember correctly. You'll see it if you join the track with the Exos S1 and have RSR Live Time installed and running.

Another great map. Definitely a long drive in the slower cars. Really looking forward to future updates on this.

It would be really cool if the shoulders (outside the white lines) could have a different grip level and/or some dust/gravel. It's also race track smooth, a little more bump amplitude could be welcome.

Super fun, it's going to be lots of work to do the trees and barriers, and signs. Good luck haha.

Another great map. Definitely a long drive in the slower cars. Really looking forward to future updates on this.

It would be really cool if the shoulders (outside the white lines) could have a different grip level and/or some dust/gravel. It's also race track smooth, a little more bump amplitude could be welcome.

Super fun, it's going to be lots of work to do the trees and barriers, and signs. Good luck haha.
Thanks mate, yeah it would be a very long drive in the slower cars... That's probably why I choose cars like the 911R, GT3 RS, LaFerrari, P1, the new Mustang.... and when they arrive... the gorgeous Diablo and 512 :)

Yeah the shoulders will be getting a good looking at, they will get separated so I can make at least most of it valid_track=0 and when they're a separate suface I can play about with the grip levels (very valid point about the grip). They will probably get a trim for transition reasons... and depending on my decision... maybe disappearing in certain sections. Even if I don't remove the shoulders to keep it more accurate to the accurate road, they will probably get a dust/sand dusting.

And yeah I haven't added subtle displacement meshes atm, the visual and physical meshes are the same thing at the moment.. (so un-economical on the rendering at the minute)... When I'm 100% happy with the road position I will clone and simplify the visual and sort out a number of displacement maps for the physical.

Glad you're having fun around here.... It gets more fun the more you learn it, as then you can really start abusing the corners... and the tyres! :)

Think of the current version as a beginners version, race track smooth and the shoulders being like stabilisers. I'd recommend everyone to start to TRY and keep it between the white lines... as things will more than likely be changing... ;)

Thanks to an Extremely helpful modder (who will definitely be getting a credit)
The object placement will hopefully be a little more straight forward than it would have been otherwise... But it will still be a lot of work!

I will be putting in the important chevron signs first... I won't be in too much of a rush to put the speed limit, caution or slow signs in... as no one takes any notice of them anyway ;) lol But they are useful as braking reference points.

Thanks for the good luck.... I will need it :) lol

Pacific Coast is the priority... It always has been... It's just lucky that L.A. Canyons made it to being a functioning track.

That's my intention mate, depending on how well I can get things optimised for Pacific... Also the fact the junctions are just corners at the moment is for the simple reason that I already put enough time into what is in effect a simple test project lol 42kms later... not so simple... I'm sure I will learn more things with the next wave of Pacific upgrading... That will get applied back to the Canyons.

Also I'm not promising I'm going to... But some of the equally awesome roads branching off this loop... could get extended out... There are 4 key ones that may get extended out a bit.... If this is the case.... I could setup lots of different "stage" layouts... starting and ending on different combinations of these 4 roads.... with each "stage" using part of the main loop. The only limitation with that is the 16km x 16km physics limit... I really don't want that crappy shaking thing.

any of these projects have some long straights?

I'd still love to see someone make something like a slightly more twisty silver state classic stage. Speeds of 200+ mph are the norm if the car can do it, corners that can be taken at 140-160 mph.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%