Kunos Simulazioni Exclusive Interview - Part 1

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
corvette_c7_2015.jpg

Next up in our series of interviews with the major players in the sim racing market place, RaceDepartment has a conversation with Assetto Corsa developers, Kunos Simulazioni, and talks about enhancements to the current game, future updates, the move to consoles and the successful Italian developers' future. We'll find out what players can expect to find in the console release and what the Kunos guys value most in a racing sim, so be sure to check out this exclusive interview!

Kunos Simulazioni is a software house specialized in developing driving simulations, mainly for the Windows platform. The company started in 2005 as a one man show and now involves various professionals capable of producing the required technology which satisfies different requirements from professional training software for drivers and racing teams to promotional channels for companies; to advanced video games dedicated to sim racers looking for a driving model with maximum realism.

With regular updates, DLC releases and an impending move to consoles later this year, RaceDepartment takes this opportunity to sit down with the guys from Kunos and see what the future holds.

RD: Hello, many thanks for the opportunity to have a chat with you today. I wanted to open this little Q&A by asking you to introduce yourselves and tell us a little about what you do day to day over at Kunos Simulazioni?

MM: Marco Massarutto, 43 years old, I'm the co-founder of the company and I lead the production of content, licensing, PR, as well the commercial and legal aspects of our activities.

SC: I [Stefano Casillo] am one of the founders and lead programmer at Kunos Simulazioni. I wrote most of the basic engines at the base of Assetto Corsa.

AV: Hi I’m Aris Vasilakos and I’m responsible for vehicle physics input and User Interface graphics.

RD: Thanks guys. So it’s now customary in these Q&A’s to start off with some light questions about yourselves. First things first, what cars do you guys drive on a day to day basis at home, being Italians I would expect something cool and bad on fuel… (laughs)

MM: Mercedes Slk premium (a more spicy than standard version), a Triumph Bonneville and an Alfa Romeo GT Junior '71: actually the worst on fuel, but I couldn't care less...

SC: I come from a (yet another) intercontinental relocation so right now I just ride a bicycle to be fully in line with my new country of residence: The Netherlands, where it seems to be the main form of transportation (more bikes than people here).

AV: Nowadays I drive a BMW 330d E91 wagon. Family, necessity to do long trips with decent fuel consumption and stupid Italian car taxes make this the best compromise I could do. It’s a bit tuned to make me happy, but I get my medicine from circuit tests with other cars as I’m lucky enough to be trusted and able to do.

RD: On the topic of circuit tests, seeing as you are based right next to a real world racetrack in the shape of Vallelunga, what sort of track experience do you guys have yourselves, and how does it compare to its virtual counterpart?

MM: I've got an amatorial experience of 3 years in karting, then I moved on motorbikes (not competitions, just track days with my Daytona: riding on track -for me- is much better than driving any car on track). I've had my first car-track experience in 2003 in Misano with BMW, and by 5 years I've regularly the chance to drive in Vallelunga lot of nice cars - Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, BMW M4, etc. I've driven three times at Nordschleife, and also on all tracks included in AC, during our surveys. With Aris we had the chance to drive some Lotus models much before their official launch on the market, at the Lotus track in Hetel, and it was a great experience, but the Nordschleife is my favourite one.

SC: It always surprises me how quickly I get over the first emotional impact of sitting in a car and step into a weird "hold on, I know how to do this" mind state thanks to sims. At Vallelunga it takes me as long as it takes to get to the Cimini corner, once I brake and throw the car in there, I am pretty much in the zone already.

AV: Modesty apart, plenty of track experience with a very wide range of car types. Personally I find sim-driving and real driving on a track a very very similar experience. Obviously there are differences but that’s my job, find them, analyze them and try to eliminate them.

RD: Be honest, who’s the quickest driver [virtual] over at Kunos then?

MM: Aris and Luca Sodano are very close to each other, Stefano is faster than me at the simulator (not the Dallara one, though..).

SC: It should be Aris in both virtual and non virtual although I'm not sure I've seen him competing in a long time and because of that, Luca Sodano might have a little edge on him right now.. we should have some serious races to find out.

AV: Obviously me… Seriously, as Stefano said, maybe Luca has a slight edge on me now, but I still think I’m better with car control over the limit because I’m more trained on that. I’m also better with setups.

RD: Back to the digital world, could you share with us what your favourite racing / road car is to drive outside of Assetto Corsa?

MM: I spent ages with the Ferrari 458 Italia at Nordschleife in Gran Turismo 5, and I had nice times with the Mazda MX-5 Cup in iRacing.

SC: I enjoy the Skip Barber in rFactor 2 a lot. No idea if it's realistic or not but surely it's an handful.

AV: I’ve heard good things lately for the iRacing F1 McLaren but haven’t found the time to try it properly. It’s been really tight in terms of free time lately at KS.

RD: When not driving the digital recreations or hosting developer lives streams, do you play any other type of game? What’s in your virtual library at the moment that you might play in your free time?

MM: My library is full of games that I don't have the time to play. I love platforms (Ori and the Blind Forest, Counterspy PS4), Alien Isolation and those game that pushes the hardware at the best. I purchase also most of all racing titles available, even the ones I don't like, looking for some inspiration and to measure where we are in terms of gameplay, graphics, physics, and so on.

SC: Not as much as I would like. .. I just bought Naval Action and I am enjoying it a lot. I've been trying to find the time for Elite Dangerous for ages, but I keep failing. I spent some nice hours in Football Manager and Pixel Piracy.

AV: As I said before, not much free time so lately I’m watching my 11 year old son, exploring the Elite Dangerous universe and I’m both proud and jealous of him.

RD: What is, for you, the most important aspect in a race simulation?

MM: The driving experience: if I don't get the right feeling with the car, all the rest doesn't keep me on it. The driving experience must come with a nice selection of cars.

SC: Coherence, things should work together and support the illusion of being there. I find a lot of projects tend to obsess over 1 or 2 minor details losing the overall vision. We've been guilty of this (and probably still are) but I think the main strength in AC is the fact that we're trying to evolve everything at the same level.

AV: Driving experience. I’m in it for the driving sensation. Everything else is very important but always comes second in the priority list. I just love driving too much I guess.

RD: Kunos have a number of highly regarded titles in its back catalogue prior to Assetto Corsa but are still a relatively small team compared to some larger groups in the sim world, how many people do you have working at in the studio currently?

MM: We have a core team of 10 members, and about 17-20 freelance graphics modelers.

RD: Obviously the advantages of being based at a real circuit are utilized in the development of the game we all know and love and we’ve seen images of drivers such as former Ferrari Grand Prix pilot Nicola Larini playing AC in the past. When you get professional drivers having a go in your offices, and how do they compare it to their real life race cars?

MM: It's just a matter of personal attitude. Some of them are very competitive and they try to give their best whatever they do, some others tell you “I know what to do” before you say hello, and then crash at the very first corner (and not rarely they do the same later, on the real track...).

With the Grasser Racing (official GT3 Lamborghini team) we had one of the best experiences, since Shinya Michimi (official driver) he's also a very good simracer, and he pays us a visit each time he comes to Vallelunga for tests. The last time also the Team Principal wanted to try Assetto Corsa, and now they are setting a complete race simulator featuring Assetto Corsa PRO in their factory, inviting us to help them to tweak everything at the best.

SC: Feedback quality varies a lot from driver to driver. It comes down to character and familiarity with a simulation environment. Usually they are surprisingly good... but I confess that I find conversations with race engineers way more interesting.

AV: You need to understand how drivers give feedback. 9 times out of 10, they do not judge the realism of the sim, but the handling of the car, and professional race drivers always complain about their cars. When their race engineer give us the thumbs up saying that they give the same complains for the real car, then we know we are close. The most satisfying part though is having them drive right away, taking the same lines, trying the same things as in the real car and never have a strange spin. They focus on driving and not trying to understand the sim and how to stay on track. This is the best feedback we can get.

Ferrari_Fxx_k.jpg

RD: Along a similar line, does real life driver feedback get incorporated into the sim, and if so how useful has that been in developing the physics and feel of the game?

MM: We have found a common path: take two-three drivers, allow them to drive the same simulation featuring the same conditions. The faster will say “perfect, the sim is great”, the slower “the real car doesn't drive like that, it's oversteering, understeering, whatever”. This means that the simulation is good, because actually they say the same about their real cars! Jokes apart, if you can choose to talk with race engineers, is always better because they give you numbers, and numbers never lie.

SC: Driver feedback is usually too high-level to be directly reflected in the game. I suppose Aris might find it interesting to work on setup defaults. As per Marco's comments, race engineers' data and observations are usually way easier to translate into something tangible to insert into the game.

AV: Driver feedback is very interesting to understand what the race engineers and telemetry data won’t tell you. In tyre behaviour and car handling, there are still obscure data that are not known or simply not measured. In real life, many times a professional driver will complain about a car handling characteristic that cannot be explained with the data in hand by the engineers. That can happen because the driver might have a driving style that goes a bit too far away from the optimum way a car has to be driven… Being tyre heating, aero imbalance or whatever else. If you know well enough the driver, and you know where your data might lack information and you have the experience, you might find out interesting situations and test it in the simulator.

RD: VR and Triple Screen usage continues to rise in sim racing and is already incorporated quite successfully in game. With the recent release of Oculus Rift lighting up the marketplace how are plans developing to improve and implement support for these items coming on and do you plan anything exiting our VR using readers might like to know?

MM: In my personal opinion, 21:9 single screens work better than a triple screen solution and now they feature 4k resolution: easier to [configure], and supported by more games. About the Oculus, our priority now is to close and release the console version of Assetto Corsa, and then we'll see how we can support the customer version: since the latest SDK has been almost totally changed, we can't just “update” our code, we need to rewrite it, more or less.

SC: We'll do our best to support new technologies like VR.

Nordschleife_updated.jpg

RD: Assetto Corsa features many fantastically replicated cars and tracks that are used in endurance racing, and from the '2016 and Beyond' letter it sounds like there are many more on the way. With this in mind, will we see Multiplayer receive the necessary updates to facilitate endurance and semi-endurance races (i.e. time of day progression, timed races, driver swaps)?

SC: The first 2 are firmly in my To-Do list already, driver swap it's not and I don't think we'll be touching that for Assetto Corsa v1.x

RD: Also on the topic of multiplayer / player to player interaction could we have a little insight into the developer’s thoughts about a robust player ranking system similar to the system we see in titles like iRacing?

MM: I understand the will of sim racers to get a robust player ranking system like the one featured in iRacing. On the other side, I also think that is fair as well that a racing simulation that costs 40 Eur can't feature the same service of one that costs about 100/year, not to mention the cost of each single content. Therefore it's just reasonable that iRacing features this kind of multiplayer system.

SC: It's an important feature. We support it via a server plugin architecture. I don't see us getting directly involved with this.

RD: The selection of cars in AC is already excellent with a nice combination of road and track machines. It seems the current model is to release single item cars, would the possibility of a fully licensed series appeal to Kunos and is it something we might see in future?

MM: It's something that we could take in consideration in future for a stand-alone product: however a fully licensed series is too demanding to be produced as a sort of additional pack for Assetto Corsa. The challenge is that you must choose the right series, because investments are huge and if you don't get the right trend, it might be an epic fail for a little company.

SC: It could be a nice challenge for us as we never had this kind of experience before.

RD: When creating these many exotic beauties how does the team gather the physics data for the cars, do you have close relationships with the manufactures and access to data or is it based more on driving ‘feel’ and research?

MM: Being our Studio inside a racing circuit has been dramatically important for us: when you negotiate with car manufacturers, you discuss with their merchandising & licensing departments, not with their engineers. So it's very difficult to let them understand why we need some kind of data. But when we have the chance to show - directly in our office - what we do and why we need so much information about their cars, everything becomes much easier. And often racing teams and car manufacturers that were skeptical about our requests start to use our technology, while their marketing departments push to use AC for their promotional events.

SC: We have a big excel sheet with data we request. The data we receive back varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it's great, sometimes it's disappointing. Considering the amount of secrecy and competition level in the world we're trying to simulate this is hardly surprising. It's sometimes fun to receive weird answers or comments like "why you need this data? You really simulate that? For a video game?”

AV: The data that arrives from the manufacturers are the first to go in the sim and are “locked up”. This means once they are verified they will not change at all, during the car simulation development. Then we will try to take our own measurements from the car. Many times this is possible thanks to many privateers that are nice and enthusiastic to have the car measured by us in order to recreate it in our sim. Having good friends in the engineering department of many automotive companies, also helps a lot. We can’t thank enough those anonymous behind the scenes people. Finally testing the car on track is always a great way to validate the data. Another great help is the experience of years and years of data handling. It helps us to understand the manufacturer or engineering decisions behind each car. Nowadays we can see a suspension design and tell you from what car is coming from. Or we can see how each manufacturer is taking clues or even “copying” solutions from another… it’s almost like reading the “matrix” sometimes.

In the second part of our exclusive chat with the guys over at Kunos we discuss the move to console, some upcoming new content, product pride and the inclusion of more classic content in future. Stay tuned to RaceDepartment in the coming days to read all about it!

Also while you try and find something to do before part 2 launches don't forget to have a quick look in our Assetto Corsa forum for all the latest chit chat about the game. You will find a knowledgeable and enthusiastic community and a great Racing Club scene to enjoy!

We know the developers will be reading the comments section on this post, why don't you tell us your opinions and discuss this game with your fellow enthusiasts?!? Speak up and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is talking about real life or NASA simulators, we are just comparing games and sims here.

rF2 has the most advanced physics engine but too complicated to be used properly, rF1's engine is the best compromise for now between results and usability, LFS seems to be also good. AC devs wanted to simplify things but they got many things wrong there's no harm in it as long as they are willing to improve. People play AC because it has nice graphics, pCars has better graphics, but those guys desperately want to believe they are simracing :D

Proof?
I mean, do you have access to the engine's code of both sims?
If not (99,9infinite%), you are just speculating, as most people.

's unjustified complexity that I have trouble with; replacing that constant with 30 parameters does not mean it's closer to real.

Great, in that sense we agree. This is why I feel that this laser scanning absolute real data from manufacturers with a shiny licensed badge fetish is not necessarily more accurate or necessarily better.

See things like "fastest way through a corner is to use brake and throttle together" or the "magic two foot save hack" - you've created a corner case in the model that's not working the same as the real world, so you start having to learn the sim rather than learn to drive if you want to be competitive.

But now you're just arguing against any form of simulation complexity because its inherent to any kind of improvement of the accuracy of simulations that this kind of thing will happen. This was created by the necessary simulation of certain features so the bug or exploit was necessary to advance the model. Its the price paid for progress.

This isn't much of an argument to me. If this were a more serious real life topic involving politics I'd call this argument fearmongering.

Now you've said that overcomplication of things opens up the door to exploitation but AC is nothing but more complicated than older more easily exploited sims so I'm not seeing much of a consistent argument against using less than perfect data to represent something as simple as brake fade and variation in brake behavior based on temperature.

I know that the Reiza guys have this feature and they say that they model it very generously, meaning its there but its not earth shattering and in the absence of hard knowledge they'll don't make it too punishing. It does mean however that its much harder to take turn 1 like a lunatic on qualifying trim in some cars. Formula style cars in particular you drive lap 1 very differently to lap 2, just like with AC's tire warming modeling now.

Wow.. SimRacing is dead, now I see it.. When people asks for multiplayer improvements giving up over essential car simulation aspects it means we are really in a low point of the genre history.
Things which were in decades old sims, now lack in current sims (games more correctly) apart from a couple of titles (thank God).

Brakes behaviour and fluids temperature and pressure are a hard thing to simulate?? Almost impossible?? Wow, just wow... Seems like you showed up on the scene just a couple of years ago, and probably did..

Agree.

The mental gymnastics fanboys perform to try and tell you why XYZ can't be in a modern game when it was in rFactor 1 10 years ago (other features present in games even older) is just astounding to me.

Brake temp (proper operating temp, not too little not too much) and wear is so important to racing. Watch any endurance race and you'll see why.

Proof?
having modded for both games generally here is what it comes down to.

rF2 without a doubt simulates a lot more expects of a car, some parameters are next to pointless and some a little more noticeable but there just are more things.

Sadly its not all roses and daises because it means you have to find more information on your own, some information with is bloody hard to measure, during the few cars i put into rF2 i noticed that i was guessing or trying to use calculations to guess what it should be like.

This technically compromises the simulation so to me in terms of all of this I dont really dwell on the physics side, this wouldnt be a problem if they had a lot of official content but with only snippets of car types its a bit hard to motivated.

In the end in terms of outright modding ill do less guessing in assetto corsa, sometimes next to no guessing because i might contact a team and they give me everything including their birth certificate, its that placebo effect, im a perfectionist so i feel bad if im guessing a lot.

Evidence of guessing physics? Compare formula 1 cars, there is next to no information for this unless you get lucky or you pay. So drive the different formula 1 cars in your sim of choice, they are fundamentally made differently, if i need to guess then i use calculations, other people use comparisions, some use guess work, some actually get it right but panic because a car is too good and force a BoP on it.

Both of them are fantastic in their own right but each team hit a crossroad at some point and went their separate ways

having modded for both games generally here is what it comes down to.

rF2 without a doubt simulates a lot more expects of a car, some parameters are next to pointless and some a little more noticeable but there just are more things.

Sadly its not all roses and daises because it means you have to find more information on your own, some information with is bloody hard to measure, during the few cars i put into rF2 i noticed that i was guessing or trying to use calculations to guess what it should be like.

This technically compromises the simulation so to me in terms of all of this I dont really dwell on the physics side, this wouldnt be a problem if they had a lot of official content but with only snippets of car types its a bit hard to motivated.

In the end in terms of outright modding ill do less guessing in assetto corsa, sometimes next to no guessing because i might contact a team and they give me everything including their birth certificate, its that placebo effect, im a perfectionist so i feel bad if im guessing a lot.

Evidence of guessing physics? Compare formula 1 cars, there is next to no information for this unless you get lucky or you pay. So drive the different formula 1 cars in your sim of choice, they are fundamentally made differently, if i need to guess then i use calculations, other people use comparisions, some use guess work, some actually get it right but panic because a car is too good and force a BoP on it.

Both of them are fantastic in their own right but each team hit a crossroad at some point and went their separate ways

Ok, but you still don't know what it's going on under the hood. This needs access and understanding on both codes, right?

Last edited:
The mental gymnastics fanboys perform to try and tell you why XYZ can't be in a modern game when it was in rFactor 1 10 years ago (other features present in games even older) is just astounding to me.
Why things that existed 10 years ago need to be present now in a different sim? It will vary from person to person, depends what each values, and also depends what the bigger and smaller group values and wants (ps. by bigger/smaller I don't mean better/worse). There are people who didn't play the games from 10 years ago, or played a different type of (sim) racing game.
Even devs told us they would like to implement more things, things that they've seen in other previous games, or things they'd like to do other way. But maybe they are constrained by time, resources, and planning-cost effectiveness, or put away by actual usefulness or usage of feature.

People play AC because it has nice graphics
Is it really? I think is more about the whole package experience: realistic driving, sounds, graphics, tracks, cars. And despite all odds, public and league MP is something where a good amount of people still give it a good usage time, and like to use online the content they bought.

Why do you even create mods then if is just about graphics? Is virtua simulazioni just a screenshot generator? Or is actually a team which also values the whole package experience, realistic driving, sounds, graphics, and content selection.

Now you've said that overcomplication of things opens up the door to exploitation but AC is nothing but more complicated than older more easily exploited sims so I'm not seeing much of a consistent argument against using less than perfect data to represent something as simple as brake fade and variation in brake behavior based on temperature.
Cause I'm not arguing against it, just saying how I'd like it to be handled. (and, as I said before, set the priorities straight - the game can't do endurance racing well, and it's not because it's missing brake temperatures. Add the gameplay features first, get things to where a 4 hour race and tire swaps are actually workable and then think about brake/engine endurance) AC is, from a physics point of view, way less complicated than older sims I've tried modding - if things are related (like left+right symmetry of suspension), the devs have set that relationship, if a car uses it then you can't get it wrong, if it doesn't use it then you can't get it right. There's much less "just fiddle with the magic numbers until it feels ok"; if you type in the measurement from the real car that's it, that's as close as the game will get.

Last edited:
Cause I'm not arguing against it, just saying how I'd like it to be handled.

Except that in the post that spawned my initial reply to you you said this:

Adding the feature without basing it in reality (give cars realistic data) is worse than not having it at all.

outright asserting there's more to your objection than mere development priorities.

if you type in the measurement from the real car that's it, that's as close as the game will get.

Except that with the game it isn't currently modeling brake wear/fade/cooling the way it models other things so clearly its not at that level of just plugging data in yet for something it hasn't begun to represent meaning that however they want to model it in the short to mid term is open thus making the possibility of a more fiddly model potentially desirable.

Why things that existed 10 years ago need to be present now in a different sim?
So you don't want to have awesome multiplayer features that have been industry standard for the last decade on almost all sims? It's not that it's 2016 people all of a sudden don't feel the need for it anymore. AC is branded as a sim isn't it? If it doesn't want to be a sim, why not call it just a racing game instead. Got no issues with that if it was clearly communicated up front.

The only thing this game is missing for me are basically all the contents of the multiplayer.PLR file from isiMotor games.

Code:
[ Race Conditions ]
Run Practice1="1"
Run Practice2="0"
Run Practice3="0"
Run Practice4="0"
QUICK Num Qual Sessions="1" // range: 0-1
MULTI Num Qual Sessions="1"
Run Warmup="0"
QUICK Num Race Sessions="1" // range: 1-4
MULTI Num Race Sessions="1"
Race Timer="3600" // Seconds between displaying time remaining in race other than 1/5/10/30 minutes (zero disables)
Recon Pit Open="90" // Time that pits remain open for recon laps (real-life is 900 seconds)
Recon Pit Closed="90" // Time that pits are closed before formation lap (real-life is 900 seconds)
Recon Timer="1" // Whether timer is displayed in message box
Double File Override="-1" // Whether restarts can be converted to double file (-1=use SRS default, 0=no, 1+=minimum laps left to restart double-file)
Lucky Dog Override="-1" // Where lucky dog is applied (-1=use SRS default, 0=nowhere, 1=ovals, 2=road courses, 3=everywhere)
QUICK Reconnaissance="0" // Reconnaissance laps
MULTI Reconnaissance="0"
QUICK Grid Walkthrough="1" // Cinematic walkthrough of vehicles before race
MULTI Grid Walkthrough="0"
QUICK Formation Lap="1" // 0=standing start, 1=formation lap & standing start, 2=lap behind safety car & rolling start, 3=use track default, 4=fast rolling start
MULTI Formation Lap="4"
Force Formation="0" // if Formation Lap is Use Track Default, add the following to force: 1=standing start formations on, 2=standing formations off, 4=rolling start formations on, 8=rolling formations off
QUICK Unsportsmanlike Sensitivitity="1.50000" // 0.1 - 10.0: Higher number = less sensitive checking for unsportsmanlike driving
MULTI Unsportsmanlike Sensitivitity="1.49765"
QUICK Safety Car Collidable="1" // Whether safety car is collidable
MULTI Safety Car Collidable="1"
QUICK Safety Car Thresh="1.00000" // Threshold for bringing out safety car (lower numbers -> more full-course yellows), please note that there are now SRS multipliers for this value
MULTI Safety Car Thresh="1.00000"
Adjust Frozen Order="1.00000" // Moves vehicles down the frozen track order under the safety car if they are causing the yellow and being passed.  0.0=off, 0.1-0.9=apply liberally, 1.0+=apply conservatively
QUICK Flag Rules="2" // Level of rule enforcement, 0=none, 1=penalties only, 2=penalties & full-course yellows
MULTI Flag Rules="2"
QUICK BlueFlags="7" // 0=none, 1=show but never penalize, 2=show and penalize if following within 0.3 seconds, 3=0.5s, 4=0.7s, 5=0.9s, 6=1.1s, 7=use SRS value "BlueFlags=<0-6>" (default is 3)
MULTI BlueFlags="7"
QUICK Weather="0" // Random/season/sunny/etc.
MULTI Weather="0"
QUICK TimeScaledWeather="1" // Whether weather time is scaled with session length
MULTI TimeScaledWeather="1"
Practice1StartingTime="-1" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight
QualifyingStartingTime="-1" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight
WarmupStartingTime="-1" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight
QUICK RaceStartingTime="960" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight to start race
MULTI RaceStartingTime="-1"
QUICK RaceTimeScale="1" // -1 = use race distance percentage, 0 - 60 = multiply time by given factor
MULTI RaceTimeScale="-1"
QUICK PrivateQualifying="2" // 0=all cars qualify visibly on track together, 1=only one car is visible at a time, 2=use default from SRS, season, or track entry PrivateQualifying=<0 or 1>
MULTI PrivateQualifying="2"
QUICK ParcFerme="3" // 0=off, 1=no setup changes allowed between qual and race except for 'Free Settings'), 2=same unless rain, 3=use SRS default 'ParcFerme=<0-2>'
MULTI ParcFerme="3"
QUICK InitialTrackConditions="4" // 0=None, 1=Light, 2=Medium, 3=Heavy, 4=Max
MULTI InitialTrackConditions="2"
QUICK TrackProgressionRate="5" // 0=None, 1=Normal, 2=2x, 3=3x, 4=4x, 5=5x
MULTI TrackProgressionRate="1"

With such awesome features AC could have been the best PC sim of all times, now for me at least it's stuck at being a fabulous hotlap and screenshot simulator and decent for short casual online events.

And yes I am well aware that I am a member of the 10% club that touches multiplayer.

Proof?
rF2 engine is very complete, it simulates many aspects of the physics, their aero model has more simulation value than AC's one for example, the varibales used are what real racing engineers use to describe aerodynamics. The suspension model is more detailed, the tyre model is something from the future, apparently some kind of "testing rig" generating tyres parameters from a finite elements method, but i can't say anything more about it.
But we're not discussing whether it is more complex than Ac or not, it's just that AC got more things wrong with its simplicity than rF2 with its complexity, i have always had the feeling that AC lacks accuracy, too many details are neglected that it makes the driving experience boring. With their 1.5 version, they will finally add parameters to control slip curves and make slicks behave differently to street tyres, that should be an answer to your question.

@Radu Oros

I'm not a member of VS anymore, and many key members have left the ship. Personally, i think that the team is dead.
And the reason why i'm still modding on AC is that i'm committed to some projects and i don't feel like letting people working on them down too. But also, 3d modelers like AC because their models look better on it which joins my previous statement ... no model, no physics, it's simple.

Last edited:
So you don't want to have awesome multiplayer features that have been industry standard for the last decade on almost all sims? It's not that it's 2016 people all of a sudden don't feel the need for it anymore. AC is branded as a sim isn't it? If it doesn't want to be a sim, why not call it just a racing game instead. Got no issues with that if it was clearly communicated up front.

The only thing this game is missing for me are basically all the contents of the multiplayer.PLR file from isiMotor games.

Code:
[ Race Conditions ]
Run Practice1="1"
Run Practice2="0"
Run Practice3="0"
Run Practice4="0"
QUICK Num Qual Sessions="1" // range: 0-1
MULTI Num Qual Sessions="1"
Run Warmup="0"
QUICK Num Race Sessions="1" // range: 1-4
MULTI Num Race Sessions="1"
Race Timer="3600" // Seconds between displaying time remaining in race other than 1/5/10/30 minutes (zero disables)
Recon Pit Open="90" // Time that pits remain open for recon laps (real-life is 900 seconds)
Recon Pit Closed="90" // Time that pits are closed before formation lap (real-life is 900 seconds)
Recon Timer="1" // Whether timer is displayed in message box
Double File Override="-1" // Whether restarts can be converted to double file (-1=use SRS default, 0=no, 1+=minimum laps left to restart double-file)
Lucky Dog Override="-1" // Where lucky dog is applied (-1=use SRS default, 0=nowhere, 1=ovals, 2=road courses, 3=everywhere)
QUICK Reconnaissance="0" // Reconnaissance laps
MULTI Reconnaissance="0"
QUICK Grid Walkthrough="1" // Cinematic walkthrough of vehicles before race
MULTI Grid Walkthrough="0"
QUICK Formation Lap="1" // 0=standing start, 1=formation lap & standing start, 2=lap behind safety car & rolling start, 3=use track default, 4=fast rolling start
MULTI Formation Lap="4"
Force Formation="0" // if Formation Lap is Use Track Default, add the following to force: 1=standing start formations on, 2=standing formations off, 4=rolling start formations on, 8=rolling formations off
QUICK Unsportsmanlike Sensitivitity="1.50000" // 0.1 - 10.0: Higher number = less sensitive checking for unsportsmanlike driving
MULTI Unsportsmanlike Sensitivitity="1.49765"
QUICK Safety Car Collidable="1" // Whether safety car is collidable
MULTI Safety Car Collidable="1"
QUICK Safety Car Thresh="1.00000" // Threshold for bringing out safety car (lower numbers -> more full-course yellows), please note that there are now SRS multipliers for this value
MULTI Safety Car Thresh="1.00000"
Adjust Frozen Order="1.00000" // Moves vehicles down the frozen track order under the safety car if they are causing the yellow and being passed.  0.0=off, 0.1-0.9=apply liberally, 1.0+=apply conservatively
QUICK Flag Rules="2" // Level of rule enforcement, 0=none, 1=penalties only, 2=penalties & full-course yellows
MULTI Flag Rules="2"
QUICK BlueFlags="7" // 0=none, 1=show but never penalize, 2=show and penalize if following within 0.3 seconds, 3=0.5s, 4=0.7s, 5=0.9s, 6=1.1s, 7=use SRS value "BlueFlags=<0-6>" (default is 3)
MULTI BlueFlags="7"
QUICK Weather="0" // Random/season/sunny/etc.
MULTI Weather="0"
QUICK TimeScaledWeather="1" // Whether weather time is scaled with session length
MULTI TimeScaledWeather="1"
Practice1StartingTime="-1" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight
QualifyingStartingTime="-1" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight
WarmupStartingTime="-1" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight
QUICK RaceStartingTime="960" // -3=random, -2=random daytime, -1=default SRS, 0-1439=minutes after midnight to start race
MULTI RaceStartingTime="-1"
QUICK RaceTimeScale="1" // -1 = use race distance percentage, 0 - 60 = multiply time by given factor
MULTI RaceTimeScale="-1"
QUICK PrivateQualifying="2" // 0=all cars qualify visibly on track together, 1=only one car is visible at a time, 2=use default from SRS, season, or track entry PrivateQualifying=<0 or 1>
MULTI PrivateQualifying="2"
QUICK ParcFerme="3" // 0=off, 1=no setup changes allowed between qual and race except for 'Free Settings'), 2=same unless rain, 3=use SRS default 'ParcFerme=<0-2>'
MULTI ParcFerme="3"
QUICK InitialTrackConditions="4" // 0=None, 1=Light, 2=Medium, 3=Heavy, 4=Max
MULTI InitialTrackConditions="2"
QUICK TrackProgressionRate="5" // 0=None, 1=Normal, 2=2x, 3=3x, 4=4x, 5=5x
MULTI TrackProgressionRate="1"

With such awesome features AC could have been the best PC sim of all times, now for me at least it's stuck at being a fabulous hotlap and screenshot simulator and decent for short casual online events.

And yes I am well aware that I am a member of the 10% club that touches multiplayer.

Well said. Right now Assetto Corsa only pleases to all the casual drivers who just want to do some cool down laps around Nordschleife with their Ferrari while they catch some too easy slides to feel they are somewhat close to being a good driver.

The high-experienced simracer looks for some actual online competition and challenge on the driving and sadly he can't find it on Assetto Corsa because the priorities of the developers are far away from offering a serious simulation platform. So obviously if you advertise yourself as "your racing simulator" people is going to get upset once they find out it's just a lie to sell more games.

Wouldn't call it a lie as it's semantics of course. And I also have no issues with games where gamers only want to hotlap with shiny road cars either. For that reason I am enjoying the hell out of American Truck Simulator :)

But since the first moment I've tried AC at Gamescom back in 2012 I was instantly sold seeing it's potential, and the passion the developers showed when introducing their sim, and unfortunately it never reached that ultimate simulation level this game could have been.

But 300,000 people have bought in so it's for sure it's one of the most successful racing titles of the last 15 years on PC so they must have done something right to attract such huge numbers, which by itself is a huge achievement and well deserved from a business perspective.

Unfortunately it hasn't lived up to it's promise for me personally, but thankfully we still have choices to race what we want online with a decent spectrum of racing sims in 2016.

• Deleted member 130869

What they did right was nkp v1.03 and ferrari virtual academy. Then certain licenses to certain cars. We believed they'd expand on the existing goodies. Much like with rfactor3, the next title they release better be darn good and more complete.

No more buying out of goodwill or hype.

The high-experienced simracer looks for some actual online competition and challenge on the driving and sadly he can't find it on Assetto Corsa...
Correction "and sadly he can't find it on Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, Project Cars, rFactor 2, Raceroom, with the exception of Iracing".

Have you honestly made any numbers comparison between these sims with the exception of iracing? I haven't made either, so is just a rough idea, as you have only a rough idea as well. How can you be so sure that a lot of the skilled racing happens only in other racing sims and not in AC too?

Have you ever managed your own online series with various games @Radu Oros ? Or is your online experience only that from a drivers point of view?

I know how much time we've put into our test series with AC and the manual work that needs to be done on an administrative level. To ensure some kind of quality standard it's absolutely crazy compared to other sims out there.

Maybe Chris can tell you more about the difference in workload of his AC based league and our current series with SCE. It's a factor 20 to 1 if not more.

Adding specific online features would make our lives so much easier. There is nobody on the web that would love to run a full blown GT3 Series with AC than me, I can assure you :) But I fear it's never going to happen anymore as we have been waiting since 2012 when we have first initiated the series we wanted to run.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%