General Kunos shuts down modding section of official forums

Guys, relax, let's not bring all the crap that's going on at the official forums here, ok? let's keep this place clean, no need to get in a fight over anybody.
Want to fight go over the official forums, there's plenty of that over there.

Guys, relax, let's not bring all the crap that's going on at the official forums here, ok? let's keep this place clean, no need to get in a fight over anybody.
Want to fight go over the official forums, there's plenty of that over there.
Yep, what he said ;) . That would make my job a lot easier here. So, please: Keep it friendly. :)
Cheers
Andrew
( Global Moderator ;) )

funny-police-cat-picture-445x299.jpg
:cool::p

A certain auteur coder seems to be taking the criticisms of this decision a little hard. Although i wouldn't post that over there. Other than that i hope a new mod community grows over here.

He may have brought it upon himself, but still, I'm sure it hurts to see so many people saying bad things about his life's work. Try to understand, or at least not make it personal.

I agree this is a opportune time to develop a thicker skin... but that's not easy for everyone.

I dont really give a rats rectum either way.

I have a lot of time for Stefano, but he seems to me to be a typical Italian. Very very passionate and emotional. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does mean he is probably going to take more to heart than a lot of us realise.

Kunos have said they didnt manage this all that well, and not for the first time. Hopefully they keep learning.

Life goes on. We can still get all the mods we want.

Let's see how this RD thing goes.

My main concern is that the KS team seem to think modders will find it easy to work through a WIP over here for instance, but find it easy to pop back in for support over at AC official forums if required, without somehow breaking rules about posting things.

Ie, half a thread might end up being relevant to a problem that we've discussed here first, so without copying it all over there and going over it all again, it seems easier to just paste a link.
But the links are the problem from what I gather.

There is no doubt about it imo, the modding support and quality will suffer because it's spread around and the interconnected nature and linkages, and worries about what we can and can't post over there will cause problems.

I for one have no idea what is explicitly allowed or not there. They say modding is still fine, but then if it is, can I post my city-based track WIP back over there or not?

Surely if some stuff is ok, and other stuff not, they're *still* gonna have to moderate the forums and stuff?

Or is it just the release threads?

Is WIP still ok over there? Just release over here?

If so why not just moderate away release threads? Or give people a week to remove release threads/links to downloads?

Hmmmm

We'll have to test out the limits. Biggest point should be that new threads should be posted directly as questions, i.e as in "How should I set up Shaders for realistic carbon?"

In that context it should be totally fine to post pics of your ongoing project. But no more pure "look at my great/**** skills" WIP threads.

btw I did not quiet understand Stefanos post. Did he quit all of AC for good or just the forum and social media?

Debate, even heated, and disagreement are all natural processes, especially when things close to their hearts change, or people get upset at them for stuff.

As a KS dev I'd be proud people care so much :)

I say let people get it out, whatever it is they wanna say... :)

I'm sure whatever Stefano said it's just getting some anger or upset out of his system :)

Tomorrow the sun will still rise, and we'll all be better people for being emotionally honest and learning from the way we all feel about things!

To be honest, the flames were fanned when Aris came out with a pretty different reason as to why the forums had to close. Stefano originally said that there was "no legal stuff" involved and that it was a moderation issue. Then a day or so later, Aris came out and said that it was down to basically potential legal action with effectively hosting "illegal" content.

At the end of the day, the reason(s) why don't really matter, the forums will still close so the point it a little moot, I just don't understand their full reasoning behind it and we will probably never know the full reasons.

I dont really give a rats rectum either way.

I have a lot of time for Stefano, but he seems to me to be a typical Italian. Very very passionate and emotional. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does mean he is probably going to take more to heart than a lot of us realise.

Kunos have said they didnt manage this all that well, and not for the first time. Hopefully they keep learning.

Life goes on. We can still get all the mods we want.

Let's see how this RD thing goes.
I'd like to know how many italians you do know since you are able to define "the typical italian". I'm not trying to defend Stefano, I just don't like how people use stereotypes.

I'd like to know how many italians you do know since you are able to define "the typical italian". I'm not trying to defend Stefano, I just don't like how people use stereotypes.

Even positively?

I quite like positive stereotypes but hey. Another person who just wants no one to feel anything about anything, rather than taking the good with the bad.

Even positively?

I quite like positive stereotypes but hey. Another person who just wants no one to feel anything about anything, rather than taking the good with the bad.
Being controlled by feelings when speaking of work doesn't seem exactly positive imho. If the meaning of what he said is different, sorry i misunderstood.

If Stefano is a passionate and emotional kinda guy then it's gonna come out in everything from his personal life to his professional life.

That has it's pros and cons, and we should celebrate both... for without one we can't have the other :D

We just need to learn to give everyone a break. We're all just humans afterall, not emotionless drones!

But why would they? Let's be objective. Will the modders have a place to show off their work? Yes, among others on this site, which is also designed for that. Will modding be banned on the official forums? No, every modder can still discuss their issues on the official forums, where they can also interact with the devs.

It's also interesting how negative comments are made by people who are (were) doing physics modding, and that section is not going anywhere.
my problem is that it sounds like you can only talk about AC content and modding question in general,
I feel like if I will have a question - like I had - about opacity depth sorting or when I was pointing out that normal maps don't work correctly in AC, I will be labeled " showcasting your own work > locked "

anyway, it's done, time to move on
but yes, I was upset and was considering leaving modding scene , at least for a while

my problem is that it sounds like you can only talk about AC content and modding question in general,
I feel like if I will have a question - like I had - about opacity depth sorting or when I was pointing out that normal maps don't work correctly in AC, I will be labeled " showcasting your own work > locked "

anyway, it's done, time to move on
but yes, I was upset and was considering leaving modding scene , at least for a while

Indeed, that's about it. They consider our wip threads to be "showcases of our ego" or some bs like that (that's what really pissed me off), when they were actually very helpful in most cases.
Not only for the creator of the mod to help improve his own work, but also they served as a channel to ask questions, provide useful information about the mod and learn a thing or two about modding AC in the process.
Good to see you here, Patrick!

Indeed, that's about it. They consider our wip threads to be "showcases of our ego" or some bs like that (that's what really pissed me off), when they were actually very helpful in most cases.
Not only for the creator of the mod to help improve his own work, but also they served as a channel to ask questions, provide useful information about the mod and learn a thing or two about modding AC in the Exactly.
Good to see you here, Patrick!
Exactly that. Look through what's left of my thread, I went from following the wrong tutorialsto, importing into the game, fighting Empties and Collider's, learning how to use alpha channels and baking AO to releasing (the early shitty version of) a car. If anything it showcased me knowing nothing, but for another total noob that thread is both a lesson in what not to do and "other have it as hard as you".

Ofc the people like you @A3DR, who started of on a whole different level wee there to help.

In my opinion Aris told the true story to the closure: Italian law is different and could have resulted in Kunos being sued for copyright infringements, not the actual makers of the mods. Why Stefano went the other way I dunno.

Exactly that. Look through what's left of my thread, I went from following the wrong tutorialsto, importing into the game, fighting Empties and Collider's, learning how to use alpha channels and baking AO to releasing (the early shitty version of) a car. If anything it showcased me knowing nothing, but for another total noob that thread is both a lesson in what not to do and "other have it as hard as you".

Ofc the people like you @A3DR, who started of on a whole different level wee there to help.

In my opinion Aris told the true story to the closure: Italian law is different and could have resulted in Kunos being sued for copyright infringements, not the actual makers of the mods. Why Stefano went the other way I dunno.
Yeah I was upset when they said they were originally going to delete threads. My Bridgehampton thread went from me not knowing anything like you to still not knowing anything :D. It would be a shame to loose that timeline.

I think they are going to archive the current threads in a locked subforum, as it doesn't include any ripped content now AFAIK. Then they will reopen the new clean forums for pure discussion on how to mod. This would make the most sense to me.

Also I really don't think posting screenshots coupled with a question on shaders/materials is going to cause any issue. The screenshot thread is still open as well, and legit modded content is allowed there!
Download links are causing them trouble, so they don't want to see that, nothing more from my understanding.
I think Stefano's talking about "wip threads with no other purpose than egos" was an mistake from his side, when considering that what Aris said later, and considering the screenshot thread is still open for modders to show their work. What Stefano said can easily cause misunderstandings, and it did.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years