Kunos End of Year Message Hints at Future Plans

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa New Year Message.png

Marco Massarutto of Kunos Simulazioni has released the now traditional end of year message to fans of Assetto Corsa, with some interesting insights revealed...

Launched across the various Assetto Corsa social media channels earlier this afternoon, Massarutto pays homage to the work undertaken to get Assetto Corsa to the stage it finds itself today, whilst dropping the most significant hints yet that a new project could well be under way in the not too distant future... read on for the full New Year message post from Kunos:

Since we started the Assetto Corsa project, each year we have experienced something remarkable: in 2011 we unveiled the new IP, in 2012 we presented the game at Gamescom and announced the Ferrari licence, granted to an independent production for the first time ever. In 2013 the game was released in Early Access, in 2014 we launched version 1.0, in 2015 we introduced the Lamborghini licence and released the first version of the Nürburgring Nordschleife based entirely on laserscan data. In 2016, we released the simulation to consoles thanks to the partnership with 505Games, and announced the Porsche Programme, which brought the very best selection of Porsche cars in a genuine simulation after 13 years. In 2017, we celebrated the 70th anniversary of Ferrari with a dedicated pack that is one of the most successful DLC packages ever released for Assetto Corsa. More importantly, throughout the years our entire team has worked hard to improve every single aspect of the simulation: adding new features and improving physics, performance and the underlying tyre model as well as single- and multiplayer features, with the aim to provide our fans with a driving simulation that can keep high standards in vehicle modelling, sound effects, handling and gaming features. This long-term support has been possible thanks to our loyal user base and all those sim racers and gamers who have purchased our product and given us suggestions and positive criticism day after day with the aim to improve the game. The free Bonus Pack #3 recently released is dedicated to all of them.

Another remarkable event in 2017 was when Kunos Simulazioni became part of Digital Bros, a decision that as founders of the studio, Stefano Casillo and I, made with the objective to consolidate the team, guarantee more stability, strength and resources for the present and future of the company.

Yes, the future: what can you expect now? As I have said, Assetto Corsa has kept Kunos Simulazioni busy for almost seven years, and we have continued to update the game for three years following its 1.0 release. Assetto Corsa is not just a “game"; it is based on a technology designed and developed in-house, which is not a secondary detail, given that this is the technology that will determine and define the quality, gameplay and potential of the games to be based on it down the line. This is why we dedicated years to improve an engine that had originally been conceived in 2011, and this is why during 2017 we also dedicated time and resources to R&D activities that will define what we are going to be busy with in the years to come.

In 2011, Assetto Corsa was conceived to be a moddable platform featuring - possibly - 20 cars, 5 tracks and the basic functionalities typical of a driving simulation. Today, it offers 177 cars in 20 classes and genres, 19 tracks in 35 configurations, an offline career, custom championships, a solid multiplayer experience and much more, not to mention the ongoing support for modding, which has seen improvements through the years and resulted in an incredible collection of third-party content created by a dedicated community. And sometime we still can't believe that Assetto Corsa has gone so far.

But it is not just the software that has changed and evolved throughout these years, but also the company itself. What was once a group of four guys trying to wage war on the most established names in the business is now a bigger team. Finding the "right people" to insert into such a peculiar working environment such as Kunos Simulazioni is not an easy task, and it's something that has kept us busy during 2017 as well. I am glad to say that the results are encouraging and the future looks bright thanks to the new talents we were able to add to our team and that will join the ranks alongside the founders me and Stefano, the guys of the "old guard" who joined us since the beginning and all the other people you've learned to know during this adventure.

All of the above thanks also to our new "Benevolent Overlords" in Digital Bros, allowing us to think and dream bigger than we could only a few months ago.

Talking about the Team, in 2017 we welcomed four new programmers specialized respectively in graphics and gfx, UI and animations, mechanic and physics, online racing environment and ranking, with the aim to improve in those areas that can make your experience with Assetto Corsa games better and better.

There is always a margin for improvement: even after a lot of hard work to reduce this margin throughout a long development period, 2017 was a highly important year to us to define the new basis in the technology we will use in future. Even today, the community keeps asking for something new, and that is great as it means that you continue to keep us involved in fuelling your hobby, passion and training tools. To meet your expectations, and to support the features that our current technology cannot manage, some – actually a lot of – work will be required. So, it's time to move forward.

When it arrived, there had been nothing like Assetto Corsa before. We are working hard to replicate this feeling with what there is to come in the future. - Marco Massarutto, Assetto Corsa's Brand & Product Manager

Want to know more about how Kunos go about making cars for Assetto Corsa? Well worth a watch:
Assetto Corsa, available now for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. We host quality League and Club Racing events, have a selection of fantastic mods to download and some of the best community conversation. Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What do you make of the end of year message from Marco? Looking forward to the future of Assetto Corsa / Kunos? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I understand Kunos wanted more profit so they made AC available for console, after that it's expectable that you find comments of people don't giving a f*** for the physics and interesting part of realistic racing... anyway i hope Kunos will stay on the right path...

I care plenty about physics and FFB.

I'd just also like proper flag rules, ability to set up a race weekend with multiple practice and race sessions, variable weather (including rain, and night), and so on. Not everything that isn't physics or FFB is casual plebian gamification.

I care plenty about physics and FFB.

I'd just also like proper flag rules, ability to set up a race weekend with multiple practice and race sessions, variable weather (including rain, and night), and so on. Not everything that isn't physics or FFB is casual plebian gamification.

I didn't said that! I was referring to the guys wanting AC to become another PC2, Forza or GT...

Thanks, Kunos. I made a non-graphical terminal racer in high school. I started with Need for Speed back in the day. Then Sports Car GT. I made classic Can-AM and GT cars for SCGT like the Lola T70 coupe and spider versions. GTR 1-2. F1 from Code Masters. Then came Assetto Corsa. Nothing but fun! AC inspires hardware DIY projects which are ridiculously fulfilling. Now, with VR support, I love the immersion.

It would be nice to be able to change steering/controller settings in game. Other game engine mods are sort of obvious. I am completely comfortable with the idea of console expansion subsidizing Kunos other efforts and making them a more stable team.

Stay focused. Keep the passion. Thanks for your efforts on a well-conceived and VERY entertaining product. You have my support.

Why people keep forgetting in what areas an X game is (maybe) better from an Y game and not the other way around?

Like i previous said, for me AC is a great software, didn't said that it was bad or it doesn't have strong points, i was talking only about some features that no matter if people like or not, but they're necessary. For example, a dynamic racing line FOR ME could have taken AC to another level, problem is that after you get used to it (rF2) it's hard to have immersion when you have the entire track with same grip level...

Also, the lack of manual pit limiter is a immersion breaker for me, aswell as other "minor" things...

Peace :thumbsup:

Last edited:
And yet for me apart from those things you just mentioned everything else is a game breaker ... rF2 manages to be worst then AMS in some many areas its not even funny.. when i think rF2 should be an evolution of AMS in all aspects ... i know popularity is not a measure by all means but in SRS for example out of the 14000 users... rF2 barely manages to get an official race out of the ground ( official is 6 players ) ... S396 has a huge task ahead of them on raising this one from the dead...imo

And yet for me apart from those things you just mentioned everything else is a game breaker ... rF2 manages to be worst then AMS in some many areas its not even funny.. when i think rF2 should be an evolution of AMS in all aspects ... i know popularity is not a measure by all means but in SRS for example out of the 14000 users... rF2 barely manages to get an official race out of the ground ( official is 6 players ) ... S396 has a huge task ahead of them on raising this one from the dead...imo

Rf2 it's not an evolution from AMS.
Both are evolution from rf1. In a different way and path.
And it's S397.

You're clearly misinformed about rFactor2... and SRS is not the benchmark for a game popularity/quality!

Also we're not competing here AC vs rF2, both have weak and strong points, i'm glad we have both, from my part i'm only wondering what AC2 could be...

You're clearly misinformed about rFactor2... and SRS is not the benchmark for a game popularity/quality!

Also we're not competing here AC vs rF2, both have weak and strong points, i'm glad we have both, from my part i'm only wondering what AC2 could be...

Well Rui you did :) anyway... do i need some extra info other then having it and seeing with my own eyes for a few years :)

Anyway lets leave it alone :)

I'd personally like to see flag waving marshals positioned at the correct locations around the track. The one thing that I think could be levelled at AC's tracks is that they appear a little lifeless, I think a few mo captured marshals would help to crush that belief. It would be great to see a marshal leaning out of his post vigerously waving his yellow flag as you approach turn 1.

It would also be of a benefit gameplay wise as well.

I would choose rain over night but also if it could be associated with some kind of "real weather forecast", specially for tournaments (either offline and online)
Piboso's kart racing pro has that feature (sort of) but every time I get rain if I'm playing offline, I just go back and put nice weather.
Please let's do a whish list thread!

I know Kunos knows every single feature we would like to get in a future sim. Actually I would love to see his whish list and what's more likely to implement (code wise and time consuming) and what's less likely.

Many thanks to Kunos and to the whole team for creating this outstanding racing simulation game. The current release is well developed with a high level of maturity imo.

In that background I rather see room an space for some "adjustments", than a complete new title with fancy features:
  • More tracks - I think of tracks like Hockenheim, Oschersleben, Suzuka. The selection of tracks should be aligned with the schedule of race series. There is no need for a 3rd class race track out of nowhere.
  • Less road cars - more racing cars, forming complete race series Like F1 1988, GT3, Super GT, Group C, LMP, etc.
  • British racing cars - Aston Martin and Bentley are hardly missing
  • Including a gear shift diagram in the setup menu
  • Record and save of the used setup for personal best lap times and hot laps
  • Note function for setups
  • Modular installation - specific parts like tracks, road cars or series to be excluded
  • Implementation of an enhanced real head motion control
  • Implementation of an interface for the MOTEC Software
  • A functional and realistic system monitoring the compliance of common race rules. Solutions like minorating.com aint´t working. Take a look at real life racing - in over 90% the originator of a race accident will be punished, and not the victim. Unsporting behavior have to be sanctioned in real time. That would help to keep dive bombs and unsuitable drivers from the MP race tracks.
  • Last but not least - the DRM Mod.
From my point of view the challenge is not to turn into inflationary featurism, but to focus on key mile stones. The result should not be a new title at all costs, but an evolutionary development. We will see.

Cheers

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 116 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 91 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 82 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 58 6.5%
  • < 5 years