Kubica out of Running for Williams Drive, Sirotkin New Favourite?

Putin would not of been happy with a Russian GP with no Russian driver either. Once Kyvatt went you just knew a Russian driver would land somewhere...

Sad to see how this, once mighty, team has fallen so low.

Kubica isn't good enough for F1 anymore, and given he hasn't driven F1 since 2011, he'd basically be a very old rookie.

People really start bugging me off for their no-rookies-attitude these days. Always thought it's a bit different here, as most guys here care for more then just F1. Shame to be proven wrong.

Because F1 is supposed to be the very top of car racing, not a playground for people who have driven a few competitive F2/F3 races. That's football, not F1.

Kubica would have brought personal sponsor Lotos to Williams, so he'd have basically been a paydriver per definition too.

Only if people would take the rose-tinted glasses off...
I can only agree. This is the truth. 15 millions from Lotos Sponsorship. And this demolishes every hint of Williams taking the slower driver for more money.
Except the numbers lie and Sirotkin is coming with 50 millions in his purse....

Speaking of sponsor money, I wonder what the plan is relating to the Martini sponsorship and their requirement for a driver over 25. Also, if we're going with "young talent," I would think Pascal should also be in the convo, though I don't know anything about his personal sponsorship situation.
Exactly what I was thinking and in the news at first I heard Kubica was fasters now the Russion is...

I'm surprised to see so many Kyvat fans, this guy has already had a lot more 2nd chances than he deserve and than several better Torro Rosso drivers (Vergne, Buemi...).
I don't say he's that bad (but did so many mistakes), but he has shown nothing better than average, he has never shined, and I don't see why he should have so many 2nd chances in a team where there is none most of the time, while there is many rookies which deserve their chance.

I'm surprised to see so many Kyvat fans, this guy has already had a lot more 2nd chances than he deserve and than several better Torro Rosso drivers (Vergne, Buemi...).
I don't say he's that bad (but did so many mistakes), but he has shown nothing better than average, he has never shined, and I don't see why he should have so many 2nd chances in a team where there is none most of the time, while there is many rookies which deserve their chance.

He did ok against Ricciado and would in all probability still be there except for Max' V.
Ok, Max' is very good, but not that good, against his now team mate...but that is history now and Kvyat would be an asset to Williams and give him a chance he deserves.
I'm UK, not Russian!. :)

Nope, Sirotkin's main success came when the series was still called GP2. His one-off for ART this year was in F2, but that doesn't count in, really.

------------

Love how everyone in here bashes Sirotkin already for being a pay driver. If anyone out of that 2016 GP2 season deserves a shot in F1 aswell (as GIO and Gasly have theirs already) it's him. Rampaged through the field in an underwhelming Rapax in 2015 and if it wouldn't be for his misfortune (and stupidity, as he himself admitted) he could have gained a lot more points in 2016, up to being a serious title contender. ART don't pick their drivers for money.

People really start bugging me off for their no-rookies-attitude these days. Always thought it's a bit different here, as most guys here care for more then just F1. Shame to be proven wrong.

/Sorry for the rant.
I agree

Ok, maybe not that much about "pay drivers" more "inexperienced youngsters" is that bothers me about today's Williams. Sad... they were great once. Senna, Mansel, Piquet, Prost,... you think you're great driver? - you better have a career that include Williams team too. And look at them now. Dammit...
You guys have watched this one
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6981046/
? Fun and enjoyable to watch. But so sad at the same time. :unsure:
Good riddance titles, seems like new team policy.

And let's be pragmatic here, Kubica was never going to get a drive.
;)
Oh mr Nostradamus, sorry, I didn't recognize you at first.

:alien:

Most drivers in most series at the pro (expensive) level come with money. Whether it is daddy's or a sponsor makes no difference to me. There are only a few teams (factory) that can afford to pay like Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and Renault. Any other driver that is reaping a salary from the team is of Alonzo status or thereabouts.

So consider that even a pay driver (sponsored or family driven) has to obtain a superlicence in order to even compete means none of them are slugs. They've all won at previous levels and while some may never be a champion all could be at the front of the field in a good car.

I've watched every driver in F1 at other levels and they were all good. I do know though from my own experience that you have to have money and/or a good backer to suceed to the top level. Talent helps get the backers but that is often not enough. If you haven't seen it, there is an excellent documentary about Tommy Byrne who was considered as fast as rich young Ayrton Di Silva (Senna).

Because F1 is supposed to be the very top of car racing, not a playground for people who have driven a few competitive F2/F3 races. That's football, not F1.

Alright, guess Vettel, Hamilton and.. yeah, basically everyone shouldn't be in F1 then. They had only a few competitive F3 races... not to mention Kubica himself, who never had a really competitive F3 race except of some Macau outings. Who could count them. And he wasn't fancy doing GP2 either. Just this FR3.5 series.

Fk logic.

It's a shame Williams has had to take the money route when looking to fill the seat, rather than look for someone with true talent. Can't wait till 2021 when all this money orientated F1 dancing is over and we can go back to real racing with the drivers being the reason for winning not the cars tech and multi million dollar budgets.
I wish Sirotkin the best in a full F1 season, it's a big step up from GP2 with more pressure to perform at the highest level possible, it will make or brake him I guess.
Sirotkin is a true talent and a riot to watch, tons of sand on that boy.

Most drivers in most series at the pro (expensive) level come with money. Whether it is daddy's or a sponsor makes no difference to me. There are only a few teams (factory) that can afford to pay like Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and Renault. Any other driver that is reaping a salary from the team is of Alonzo status or thereabouts.

So consider that even a pay driver (sponsored or family driven) has to obtain a superlicence in order to even compete means none of them are slugs. They've all won at previous levels and while some may never be a champion all could be at the front of the field in a good car.

I've watched every driver in F1 at other levels and they were all good. I do know though from my own experience that you have to have money and/or a good backer to suceed to the top level. Talent helps get the backers but that is often not enough. If you haven't seen it, there is an excellent documentary about Tommy Byrne who was considered as fast as rich young Ayrton Di Silva (Senna).

Could not agree more. That's life, and how professional motorsports work. A lot of fans often sound like British motorsport media with their naive rose glasses on.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 227 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 290 13.4%