KRB Audi S1 Silhouette

Cars KRB Audi S1 Silhouette 1.3.1

Login or Register an account to download this content

AccAkut

Premium
AccAkut submitted a new resource:

KRB Audi S1 Silhouette - Gatebil-Extreme class tubeframe Audi S1 inspired norwegian monster

audi-736544-kleiner-jpg.148461

eEBwJCO.jpg

LBT2evC.jpg

If you are a frequent visitor of Speedhunters.com, or any tuner blog or site, there is no way you never seen this car before.

It’s a one-off build by KRB-Trading of Norway for the “Extreme”-class race series, held as part of the...

Read more about this resource...

Wow, I really love this, its fantastically unique!

I expected it to be hugely 'difficult' to drive due to the huge power, but the AWD system surprisingly keeps it all in check, making the whole experience far easier than I expected.

The challenge for me is with trying to keep on top of the massive turbo lag (very fun) - its very easy to lose time by waiting too long before getting on the throttle. Its a balance between not understeering off the track with too much power too early, and getting a good boost on the exit.

The thing I love most though is just the whole character - its feels wonderfully homemade, and by that I mean the vehicle (not your model of it). It feels almost bodged together, and works in such a 'clunky' manner, its great. The fixed gear ratios, not ideal but you work round it. The hilarious aero, again you learn to drive round it. Fantastic stuff.

I expect this is just because of the large gear ratio spacing, but I often have to downshift multiple times to get the gear - not sure if the downshift protection is a little eager or that's just the way it is - not a huge deal, again it adds character! :p Also the ABS seems to struggle a little, like it maybe allows too much slip.

SFX is great, watching replays this car looks and sounds phenomenal. Interior again is also great. but I think its maybe a little too loud (compared to other loud Kunos cars, and some other effects (tyres etc) are maybe too quiet.

And of course I love the model, will be spending time trying to spot all the detail you've put in. Its maybe not the most polished and clean, but there is a lot of detail and obvious effort spent. I noticed the front left wheel/tyre is slightly off the ground in the showroom btw.

I'm off to do more laps :) Top effort, well done!

Last edited:
Well I agree that"s its a nice job on the car. But I do feel the physics aren't right. If I see reviews of this car it supposed to be a monster. But how it drives now its so easy, it hardly steps out on you. Just doesn't feel right to me. Its like its glued to the track making it a boring ride.

Also, whilst casually viewing the car with CM - I hit 'C' and realised it shows the collider (new to me) - and yours isn't set right :roflmao: Its 90 degrees off, probably just needs the pivot rotated (I had to do this with all my cars).

Doesn't negatively effect the in-game collisions as I see you've just made the ground collider box the whole size of the car, but thought you should know.

33DNZ6Fh.jpg

Actually this is rather a weird effect of doing the collider in Blender. It was needed to be exported like this, and works fine as intended ingame (check it in that test track with the measured "bridge"). Guess CM does not read the collider in the exact same way AC does.

If the collider was really interpreted like on the picture, the car would grind to a halt immediately at most curbs.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Actually this is rather a weird effect of doing the collider in Blender. It was needed to be exported like this, and works fine as intended ingame (check it in that test track with the measured "bridge"). Guess CM does not read the collider in the exact same way AC does.

If the collider was really interpreted like on the picture, the car would grind to a halt immediately at most curbs.

View attachment 180234

Ah ok, thats a bit odd.

I noticed you have the ground collider set up to cover the whole car - its usually just a 100mm tall box at the bottom. You can see it in game using the console command, "set editBoxes 1" (grey box). Not sure it really matters though, it all works fine when driving!

lJHRG5sh.jpg

Ah ok, thats a bit odd.

I noticed you have the ground collider set up to cover the whole car - its usually just a 100mm tall box at the bottom. You can see it in game using the console command, "set editBoxes 1" (grey box). Not sure it really matters though, it all works fine when driving!
Maybe Stereo can tell you more about it, I got this info from him when i made the 996
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...al-editor-does-not-have-gl.15192/#post-275967

about that editBoxes command, nice to learn about that now, after release. But actually I think the collider box thing is only active for ground collision and nothing else. Bit of a proprietary system, with that setting and the collider.kn5 at first glance doing the same thing.

interesting car. feels a bit weird in VR though, the steering wheel feels ginormous and right up in your face, and then the driver hands animation is a bit funky too which can be distracting. the shift LEDs emit a little too much IMO but not the end of the world.

as mentioned above it seems quite loud which i guess isnt a big deal but then from maximum on throttle volume to lifting off throttle it is such a huge drop in volume it seems a bit strange. kind of like the kunos gt3rs which i still struggle to believe is accurate how silent it goes off throttle.

keep up the good work :)

Great job @AccAkut! I've been having a lot of fun with your creation tonight. :thumbsup: It is such a coincidence that you mentioned using OpenFoam during the building of this car. I was just talking to someone about OpenFoam 2 days ago. I had never heard of it, but I went to look into it more and I realized that it's an Open Source tool that has a ton of different implementations. Google "OpenFoam" and you get a ton of responses all legitimately claiming to be "OpenFoam". Do you mind me asking you, which OpenFoam did you use? Were you happy with it?

Thanks!

Thanks guys for this monster !!!
It's a blast to drive on track and hillclimb, the F6 cameras are just amazing !
With high downforce we can feel that the front seems disconnected from the road which is a bit scary if you ask me :p,
I'm a bit surprised tho that with this amount of power and no traction control the car doesn't spin that much (maybe setup related).

I'm in love with every bit of it :rolleyes:

Well I agree that"s its a nice job on the car. But I do feel the physics aren't right. If I see reviews of this car it supposed to be a monster. But how it drives now its so easy, it hardly steps out on you. Just doesn't feel right to me. Its like its glued to the track making it a boring ride.
guess its mostly the 50/50 power distribution that makes this car feel easy to drive. It plus the rear biased aero make the car understeer over the limit.
interesting car. feels a bit weird in VR though, the steering wheel feels ginormous and right up in your face, and then the driver hands animation is a bit funky too which can be distracting.
My source has the steering wheel size at 38cm diameter, thus I made it that big. Kai is a big lad with big hands.
KRB-Audi-Quattro-PMcG-17.jpg

I know about the steering animation, sadly its really hard and frustrating to work with.

Great job @AccAkut! I've been having a lot of fun with your creation tonight. :thumbsup: It is such a coincidence that you mentioned using OpenFoam during the building of this car. I was just talking to someone about OpenFoam 2 days ago. I had never heard of it, but I went to look into it more and I realized that it's an Open Source tool that has a ton of different implementations. Google "OpenFoam" and you get a ton of responses all legitimately claiming to be "OpenFoam". Do you mind me asking you, which OpenFoam did you use? Were you happy with it?
I don't know actually, but I sent out an email to the guy (he's not on this forum)
Thanks guys for this monster !!!
It's a blast to drive on track and hillclimb, the F6 cameras are just amazing !
With high downforce we can feel that the front seems disconnected from the road which is a bit scary if you ask me :p,
I'm a bit surprised tho that with this amount of power and no traction control the car doesn't spin that much (maybe setup related).
I'm in love with every bit of it :rolleyes:
Try running the old Gran Turismo Trail Mountain replica track with it, the car goes like 45° on that one well known crest :D
On spinning, again this mostly due to the 50/50 power distribution I guess. If it loses traction it does first on the front axle and just plows off track

guess its mostly the 50/50 power distribution that makes this car feel easy to drive. It plus the rear biased aero make the car understeer over the limit.

Aha, still with so much power it should be a lot harder to drive in corners. Feels like the tires have way to much grip. Even for slicks. But maybe its also Kunos way of simulating 4WD as I find most 4WD cars in AC have this problem.

Aha, still with so much power it should be a lot harder to drive in corners. Feels like the tires have way to much grip. Even for slicks. But maybe its also Kunos way of simulating 4WD as I find most 4WD cars in AC have this problem.
well, also due to the laggy turbo in corners only a fraction of peak power is actually working on the car. I replicated the car with the bigger turbo it ran, on later outings they ran a smaller one with less lag. And even with that quicker punch it drives fine even in twisties:

you can always try climbing Pike Peak on the Semi-Slicks :D The Slick tires are close to Kunos 911 Cup tires, and actually rather hard and not as grippy as the typical Kunos GT3s

edit: you may notice the different tire poke.. that did always change, like everything else on the car. Here its closer to how I modelled it

Last edited:

Thanks!
got this in the mail
im using openfoam with the Mantium virtual challenge exclusive software called wflow. Its bunch of a dos screens so i dont think there is much to share as screenshot there. After the simulation is over, the software gives me a text file that has the cd, cl, cop etc. numbers and a .foam file for analysing the geometry on paraview

Thanks @AccAkut. :thumbsup: I'm too busy trying to get some brain cells firing and learn my way around 3dsmax 2017. Gosh it's been a long time...I was just curious when I realized that OpenFoam is an open source package with many different distributions. Personally, I wouldn't have the first friggin' clue what to do with it. :roflmao:

Thanks @AccAkut. :thumbsup: I'm too busy trying to get some brain cells firing and learn my way around 3dsmax 2017. Gosh it's been a long time...I was just curious when I realized that OpenFoam is an open source package with many different distributions. Personally, I wouldn't have the first friggin' clue what to do with it. :roflmao:
Most of all you can't just throw in your Blender/3DSMax model. I had to create special simplified models in STL format that the openfoam software recognised as "Closed Entity", the software needs to know what is inside and outside of the car. Probably still the right and modern way to do it if the car in question relies on aero, and if you have no actual data to work with.

Most of all you can't just throw in your Blender/3DSMax model. I had to create special simplified models in STL format that the openfoam software recognised as "Closed Entity", the software needs to know what is inside and outside of the car. Probably still the right and modern way to do it if the car in question relies on aero, and if you have no actual data to work with.
Cool...My friend knows 100 times more than I do about that type of stuff. I understand what you mean though. Isn't it amazing that we have access to such incredible tools?

I did some more laps in the KRBSilhouette - about 2 hours ago - that thing is crazy. I'd love to see one in person.

I'd love to see one in person.
Well that is an impossible dream, there is only one unique car and today its got a twinturbo V8 instead of the inline-5. I dunno where you are from, but try visiting hillclimb events, they are your best chance to find turbo 5s driven in anger ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%