Knowledge needed: Ferrari 458 GT?

I once watched a video about a GT version of the 458 that specified that this particular GT version was unique in that it could safely rev up to 9000, but because of power peak constraints, needed to be shifted at 7000 or so to get the most power. But when downshifting, the driver tried to hit the 9000 range. I can't remember what class of GT the car was, but I think it was GT3.

Can any of you guys confirm this and possibly link to a video or document describing this phenomenon? The league I'm racing in has a discussion going about it, and I think this information would be important. Nobody there has heard of this, so we don't want to base our determination on my hazy vague memory of a video I may have watched.

Thanks guys.

The GT2 GTE regulations has the smallest restrictor sizes and that will limit the peak power rpm. For GT2 the peak power is at only slightly more than 6000 rpm iirc, but i guess the rev limit is set closer to 9000 to take advantage of more engine braking. This would fit your description. Try to look up the GT2 or GTE car specs or youtube videos and see if it fits.

For Gt3 the restrictor is larger and as a result the peak power and rpm is significantly higher. Thus the revlimiter is closer to peak power rpm.

Last edited:
Good info, thanks. I saw a video once that explained just that with an onboard demonstration. I've scoured YouTube for it, but I can't find it. But now I know what class to look for, so thanks.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%