KIA coming to iRacing

270 BHP, frontwheel Kia Optima.
Used in World Challenge Racing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 332
Yes, it's definitely a solid car. Haven't tried any others out to see if the carcass changes are what did it, but it's even more planted than the other touring cars were before.

I need to mess a bit more with the setup. I gave more toe out in front, zeroed the toe in the rear, and moved the BB backwards.

Had a fun side by side battle last night, and showed up in another driver's video from the same race. This car is going to make for some great battles.

2. The car has ABS and it rattles the wheel a lot! I had to go to app.ini and decrease the FFB Smooth value. The rattles went away when adjusting the right FFB value in game too.
What were your settings, Stefan? I've given the car a whirl and I really like it - only problem is the steering seems way too light to me, and I'd be more confident if the steering was a bit more weighty. I've made some of the ABS rattle go away by setting the FFB smooth value to 0.8, but I'm curious to know what you set it to.

Yeah...I like a heavy wheel too so I set these:

1. FFB smooth = 0.5 in app.ini
2. And ingame FFB strength = 20 and Damping = 30

This does not mean its good for everyone, but it's how I like it and I'll keep experimenting. Also below us my current set, but nothing final :)

mod-edit: setups in the setup forum please

Yeah...I like a heavy wheel too so I set these:

1. FFB smooth = 0.5 in app.ini
2. And ingame FFB strength = 20 and Damping = 30

This does not mean its good for everyone, but it's how I like it and I'll keep experimenting. Also below us my current set, but nothing final :)

Mine is exactly the same except for damping which I have completely off. I feel it makes the FFB feel spongey. Do you have your FFB as linear?

Yep, agreed. I saw these videos on iRacing forum, seems like it was fun :)

Will you be taking part in some league?
I'm planning to run the official series.
It gives the FFB more dynamic range. Kinda hard to explain. It's weaker overall but you get more feel for the car and I find it much easier to catch slides when it's on. Feels weird at first but after 5 minutes or so it does feel a lot better.
Yeah, that's the simple explanation. Here's a bit more in depth one:

Imagine a car whose maximum steering column torque is +/-100Nm. The FFB force needs to map between +/-1.0 in the driver.

Originally iRacing always compressed the FFB range to get more strength more of the time. So instead of 500Nm mapping to 0.5 in the driver, it mapped instead to 0.8. This meant smaller bumps still had a big FFB feeling. However, it also meant that from 500Nm to 1000Nm the driver range was only 0.8-1.0, which meant there was less resolution near the max, which is generally 'at the limit'.

Linear gives the option to remove the compression. If 100Nm = 1.0 then 500Nm = 0.5. It's a more pure feedback, but it's less strong because cars rarely spend much time at the peak of their range.

Neither is particularly 'right', just two different things to deal with as a result of having FFB wheels that put out such weak forces.

Neither is particularly 'right', just two different things to deal with as a result of having FFB wheels that put out such weak forces.

Im not buying that.

iRacing's ffb went from being one of the best to one of the worst since linear mode was introduced. AC/NKP/P&G3 seem to do just fine with "weak" ffb.

Linear made all the ffb feel light and floaty and made my G27 more clunky than ever. Plus many with DFGT's that I know report that they think their wheel is going to break from the clunking now ithat their wheels developed since linear mode. All of this doesnt happen in other sims.

2. The car has ABS and it rattles the wheel a lot! I had to go to app.ini and decrease the FFB Smooth value. The rattles went away when adjusting the right FFB value in game too.
Ian just posted on the forums that they're working on improved ABS that will provide a smoother braking transition. The way it works in sim currently is harsh steps between braking pressures, whereas in reality it takes time for the ABS to move the fluid. They say that should make the FFB less harsh.

Learn to set your wheel up properly, with linear it's still nicely weighty when you have the rest set up properly. There's a thread in the Software section, go do it.

hmmm...I will have to ttry this out. I think I used linear settings once and it felt very weak and not very helpful. I made no other changes to the wheel settings so that is likely the reason why I did not find linear settings useful. I will look for the linear settings thread in the software section.
:)

hmmm...I will have to ttry this out. I think I used linear settings once and it felt very weak and not very helpful. I made no other changes to the wheel settings so that is likely the reason why I did not find linear settings useful. I will look for the linear settings thread in the software section.
:)
Grief, looking back at my post, it feels ridiculously hostile, must have been a bad day O.o

Anyway, here's the thread :)
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2023748.page
(Just do the Profiler and Min Force thing, then set the FFB for each cars, you can play with the value)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back