F1 2011 KERS and DRS Guide

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
So you picked up this game just recently, and you played F1 2010 to death? But now you got F1 2011, and we have new toys to play with in this game.

KERS (Kinectic Energy Recovery System) is a boost to your acceleration, you get to choose when and where you use KERS, and you get a certain amount of boost every lap, this gets recharged back to full as you cross the start/finish line.

DRS (Drag Reduction System) is a great boost to your acceleration, it is basically the rear wing moving to allow air to flow more aerodynamically so the car gets less drag, however it makes the car unstable on corners.

When I first played this game, they were both difficult to integrate into my racing, I had become used to simply driving around the track, now I had to use these new boosts to make sure my laps are decent.

So you may be thinking, when do I use KERS and DRS? Do I use them together? Do I use my full KERS on one straight? Can I use KERS around a corner? Is there any corners I could use DRS without the car spinning out?

This is what this guide is about, but before you take anything posted here to heart, this is a guide, from my own personal experience, KERS and DRS is likely to be used in different places from player to player, and even from lap to lap.
I have played around with KERS and DRS a lot, experimenting on when it should be used, and learning when it really is not suitable.

How to use KERS

It depends on what track you race on, it depends on whether your in a race, or doing a Time trial, the key is to notice when it is right for you, and where you can find the maximum potential from lap to lap.
After you have got into a nice routine, you will find that deploying the KERS becomes second nature.

Time trial

Start of a lap - You should use as much KERS possible before you cross the Start/Finish line, as this will give you a great deal of acceleration to begin your lap, and your KERS will automatically become recharged anyway.

This is where you may be thinking, some tracks (Silverstone, Nurburging) have the start/finish line close to the last corner, therefore it is never possible to use the full charge, unlike places like Monza where it is really easy to achieve that.

So you may be thinking, could I use it while turning through the corner? My answer is definitely Yes.

But the problem about doing this, you need to make sure that when you deploy KERS, that you are already halfway through the corner, and accelerating out of it, this will give you the best launch into the straight and you will be using the maximum amount of KERS available.

End of a lap - Some players, would say to save a bit of KERS until you reach the end of your flying lap, but in my opinion it solely depends on the track.

Just like I said about using the maximum of your KERS, it should be used on the longest straights, on tracks like Silverstone and the Nurburgring, using your KERS at the end of the lap in my eyes is detrimental, as you could have used the KERS on the longest straights, which would help you to get to the rev limiter on gear 7.

You may be thinking, I have no more KERS to begin another lap??
This is Time trial, and every split second counts, therefore once you have completed the lap you can restart and you have the full KERS charge again.
Saving your KERS just so you can go again and do another lap, pretty much defeats the point as you will lose time.

But if you are on a track, like Monza, or Kuala Lumpur, where the longest straight has its start/finish line a good distance from the last corner, you should definitely save some KERS for it, these tracks are easier to do continuous laps on.

Using the DRS

DRS in Time Trial
- In this mode, you can use DRS at anytime on any straight, DRS should become second nature to you, as you deploy it as soon as your on a straight and the car is stable.

However, DRS can be exploited, it all depends if you use the suspension bug (11 on both springs), if this is the case, you will be able to use DRS on certain corners which normally would be a bad idea, like the Monaco Tunnel or Eau Rouge in Spa, however the car can still spin out if you turn the car too quickly.

Usually DRS would close by itself as you brake for a corner, but what about those corners which are full throttle?
There are a number of corners which are impossible to take with DRS, whether you use the bug or not, sometimes you may forget to turn it off before turning and find the car going into a spin.

These corners normally come after a short straight, where DRS is not given enough time to give a big advantage.
It is usually drivers preference, whether they want that short amount of acceleration, at the risk of a possibly unstable car going into the next full throttle corner.

It is also a matter of how you would disable the DRS, sometimes I would tap the brake gently, instead of using the actual DRS button, so my concentration remains on the cornering and the acceleration.

These small things can make the difference between 1/10th and a full second, realizing when to use it, and when to close it.

Have you noticed sometimes, when you try to turn with DRS on certain corners (like the one in Monza after the first chicane for example), the car will actually begin to drift?
This is when DRS is used incorrectly, as you will lose out on acceleration rather then gain it.

KERS and DRS - Whenever you can, on every track, you should be using KERS and DRS at the same time down the straights, but the most KERS should be saved for the longest straight.

You will need to change your gear 7 so that you just reach the rev limiter at the end of the straight(The blue lights above your speedometer).
If you do not reach the rev limiter, and you only managing to get the green and red lights, then your gear 7 is set too high, and you are losing out on extra acceleration.

Race Strategy

As Qualifying and Practice sessions allow DRS anywhere on the track, you should use some of the same methods from Time Trial.

Qualifying has a slightly different approach, you have a certain lap or two to get the perfect lap, so you should do an easy lap, where you save the majority of your KERS, so you can maximize the acceleration going into the Start/Finish straight to begin your lap.

Race strategy is pretty different to Time trial/Practice/Qualifying sessions, as DRS is not allowed anywhere, therefore you rely on KERS a lot more.

DRS Rules

The usage of DRS is limited by the F1 rules. It is allowed to be used only when:

• The following car is a maximum of one second behind the leading car.
  • The following car is in an overtaking zone as defined by the FIA before the race.
Further:

• The system may not be activated on the first two laps.
  • The system cannot be used until two laps have passed after a restart or safety car appearance.
  • The system may not be enabled if racing conditions deemed dangerous by the race director, such as rain.
There are lines on the track to show the area where the one-second proximity is being detected and a line on the track where the drivers whose system is deemed valid to be armed may deploy it.

You may use DRS behind a lapped car, and you are allowed to keep the wing open after passing the lapped car.

Using KERS at the start of a race

You may think about how to use KERS at the start of a race, I would say it is all about grid position on how much you should be using.

Whenever I have started a race at the front, I shall use at least 50% of my KERS to launch myself, it gives a great deal of acceleration and should help for you to avoid close contact into the first corner.
This tactic could also be used if you are slightly further back, probably in the top 5 or 6 cars, however you really need to make sure that other cars do not get in the way, or you will have wasted your KERS.

But what if you are further back? What if your in the middle of the pack or right at the back of the grid?
The chances are you are going to run into trouble, as you will be accelerating much quicker then those in front, and find no real way through, you should be saving most of your KERS.
You should be more focused on surviving the first corner(if you have damages on) and getting yourself into a good position, then you can use the KERS on the rest of the lap, and this shall help you to overtake a number of cars on the first lap.

Using DRS and KERS in the Race

This gives you a great chance to overtake the car in front, combine the DRS with KERS, stay within the drag of the car in front, and you shall receive a huge speed boost, giving you the chance of a pass.
You will need to brake earlier then usual to make sure you do not run wide, and ultimately lose the advantage you received.

But what if your out in front, or no where near any cars? You still need to be using your KERS.
You are much more reliant on this to provide speed for the straights, so save the majority of it for the main straights, and do not waste it on other parts of the track.

You may think, do I use KERS as soon as I come out of the corner? Or do I wait til further down the road?

The answer to this, is that on the majority of straights, you should be using KERS as soon as the car is straight after coming out of the straight, so you can reach gear 7 as soon as possible, however this is not always the best way.

Which gear to begin using KERS?

After reading peoples responses, I thought about this, and from my experiences, it solely depends on the straight.
However, I would use KERS as early as gear 2, most of the time in gear 3, but even sometimes I could be on gear 5 or 6 before using it.

Lets take these examples:

Track - Description - Gear to begin using KERS
Spa - Heading up to Eau Rouge, make it clean through there, and use 50% of KERS up the Kemmel Straight - Gear 6
New Delhi - After the tight uphill turn 3, you get the car straight, I would use 75-100% of KERS here. - Gear 2-3
Valencia - Over the bridge, turn right on the tight corner, you curve to the left and enter the straight, 50% KERS here - Gear 4-5

The best example I can see where you should not be using KERS right away, which I found odd but it happened to me, is in Sao Paulo.

When you come off the last corner and you head up the hill towards the curving left corner, I have found that saving the KERS is best, because if you use it too early, gear 7 will get stuck and you will not get near the rev limiter.
However if you save it until the car is past the bend, and is just passing the entrance to the pit lane, you will find getting into the rev limiter a lot easier, which will give you a good end to the lap, and a good start to your next one.

Using KERS as a defense?

You know the feeling, your being chased, the guy behind you is pretty fast, and you know it may be difficult to keep them at bay.
Somebody said that using KERS to defend is actually detrimental, as it makes the car behind you even quicker.
With all due respect, I disagree with this theory, let me explain why.

-Car 1 is going down the straight, he deploys no KERS, Car 2 is less then a second behind, in the slipstream of Car 1.
It is clear that Car 2 is going to be really fast, and is more likely to get alongside Car 1 to attempt an overtaking move in the braking zone.

Regardless of using KERS or not, the car behind will get extra speed using slipstream, so the logic that I see, would you not want to keep your pace up by using KERS, to make it more difficult?
Even if the car behind does gain a bit of extra speed due to your KERS, your car is also gaining extra speed because of the KERS, so this concept is nullified.

-Car 1 is going down the straight, Car 2 is behind by less then a second, in the slipstream of Car 1.
Car 2 uses 50% of their KERS, however at the same time, Car 1 uses 100% of their KERS, so although Car 2 has the slipstream, Car 1 has a much greater acceleration, thus making it harder for Car 2 to get alongside Car 1 for the overtake.

This leaves Car 1 vulnerable for the rest of the lap, as Car 2 now has 50% of KERS left, but Car 1 was able to hold position, and other parts of the track may be harder to overtake on, so Car 2 might have to wait another lap to try again.

The best example I have seen of this, is in a real F1 race.
The Schumacher and Hamilton fight in Monza, Schumacher used his KERS and the Mercedes straight line speed, to keep Hamilton behind him.
Although Hamilton had KERS, DRS, and the slipstream, Schumacher used his KERS wisely and made it difficult for him lap after lap.

Saving KERS for Gear 7

Some players may disagree on the way that I use KERS, I have had a message from a racer who told me it is best to save KERS for gear 7, however I was always under the impression that KERS is used for extra acceleration, and using the combination of KERS and DRS on time trial, you really notice the boost compared to when you only use DRS.

However I shall try this theory as and when it is possible, which is probably next week, he says that KERS is not beneficial enough to the acceleration, and he only uses it (gives an example of Monaco) up the hill, and through the tunnel.

One thing I see wrong about doing this, is that when you reach gear 7, you may already be close to the end of the straight, therefore it could be too late to use the KERS up, but I guess that may be pretty situational.

If anyone wishes to know when and where I use my KERS and DRS on any mode, feel free to ask, I would post it all here but it would make this post a lot bigger then it already is
smile.png

I hope this helps someone out there, thanks for reading.

-Added a new section, Using KERS as a defense? After taz104 reminded me of it.
That's not exactly what I meant by reserving it. On tracks with long straights, Spa for example, I setup my car with a bit more downforce so I'm much faster through those fast corners because those adds up more than few more kph down the straights. And if I'm more than 1 second ahead, I put distance on them. But when they're close, they get right back up on straights with DRS, KERS, and slipstream. In those cases, I don't use KERS on the straights. Then they pass me in the middle of the long straight. Then I get right back in their slipstream and use KERS to get alongside and outbrake them into the turn. If I use KERS at the beginning of the long straight, they just pass me further down the straightaway and I have nothing left.

Everyone should have their own strategy but I just wanted to mention that unlike qualifying, in a race, it should be more than fixed areas where you use KERS but be more flexible depending on the situation.

I like your insight taz104, using KERS to defend is pretty situational, and how you described it, defending in that way could pay off better.

I personally would not let someone past me, specially if they are slightly quicker, as it may be difficult to get past them again on the straight.

Forming your own strategies on how to defend, how to overtake and everything, thats what makes the differences between good, and great drivers.

I'm driving a Lotus in career mode with legend and no assists and have completed the first four races at 20%. My trouble is with the drs, its seems to work ok in practise and qualify but never works during the race. I can be hounded by a car right behind me for lap after lap but the light never goes green. Any ideas?

DRS is only active at certain parts of the track (usually the longest straights) and if you're BEHIND someone at less than 1 second interval. Where this interval is measured is also dubious to me but DRS is very rarely effective in a race especially if you're leading a lot.

i never used kers for acceleration though, i never found it useful for that(using it for acceleration u must have a very good traction and never lose the speed while your tires roll over the track, and for that u mst do other setups for giving better traction, but then u might lose top speed, anyway too much details here), the ideea is how you set up your gearbox also, because for me, now knowing i have KERS and DRS i softly increase the 6th and 7th gears (logically on tracks with streight lines) so i can have more speed then other cars usually have, even 15-20 KM/h helps.:D
What i always do is a warm up lap with neutral setup and checking on track how much KM i get on a streight line and on wich point of the streight line i reached the rev limit, that way i know how to setup 6th and 7th gears.

On a track like Monaco wich is more tehnique track, obviously i setup the gears shorter, usually on Tunnel i shot all the KERS, starting from 4th gear and when exiting from tunnel u are almost reving at max, obviously dont setup your 7th gear at 360KM, i usually set it at 285:rolleyes:

P.S. Also don't forget about the wings, so u can eventually reach the max speed as fast as u want

I personally use KERS coming out of slow corners unless there is another slow corner close by where slowing down again so soon would render the use of KERS pointless, however, I always make sure I have KERS for certain fast corners as well.

Why??
Or do you mean DRS?

KERS is a boost of 80hp, it doesn't matter what speed you are going.

In 1st or 2nd gear using KERS will just increase your wheel spin, wasting valuable energy and increasing tyre wear. If you're using TC there won't be any wheel spin, instead TC will automatically reduce throttle and waste KERS.

In short, KERS should be used while accelerating from a slow corner, gears 3-5 or 3-6, depending on straight length.

Hi

I use the DRS and the Kers as the following:
- after the middle of the corner, push the gas pedal, after it is in 3, than push the kers
- in the last few meters in the turns (depending on the type of the turns) I push the DRS. This time the KERS and the DRS arein together.
- after i switched the 7, I push the kers, if the straight is long enough and have enough KERS for the upcoming corners.
- I push the kers before the finish lane all the time if i have kers.

My idea:
- you can earn just a few 0.0x sec with using kers in the straights
- you can earn few 0.x sec with using kers in the corners, and in the out coming of the corners

I made a „DRS and KERS guide“ for myself with jpg. I simply used the onboard-videos from the official F1 website and painted the zones, whenever they used drs or kers. Note that these zones (kers) may differ in the Race. I tried to paint them as accurate as I can get, but when you can actually use it in the game, is another thing!
For example in turn 14 of Japan GP – some drivers used DRS. So it depends on the car and the setup where the zones start and end.
So, just take it as a reference to improve your lap time. – As I said, I did this for myself, but maybe you can use it as well, so I share them.
imageshack album

You can basically guess the zones for Abu Dhabi and Brazilia, but maybe I’ll upload them as well.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 503 39.0%