Kart Racing

here we can talk about 2 cycle sprint karts. these karts are the guys on mini tracks that can be fast around a road course. i'm talking about la conca italy and infields of charlotte motor speedway, road america, and daytona. here you can talk about storys, problems with kart/rules, etc...
how many types of sprint karts are there?
there are many all over the world. there are international classes with a grand final and classes used only in national events or reigional. rotax and easy kart and worldwide racing classes. rotax is a kart with strong horse power. very popular. easy kart i wish i could tell you but know nothing about them as they are not very big in america. yamaha is ran all over the world but no grand finals. small horsepower and a real pain to work on.
how much are these karts?
for junior classes up a full-sized chassis cost 5 grand and motor can be 2 grand and still has to be refreshned from time to time.
how fun are they?
see for yourself: if you don't have one it is a lot of fun and can change your life forever. have one talk about stories, problems, etc...

yeah your right. rules say you have to stay in your lane untill you pass the flagman. wonder if you get a penalty. yeah my firend is going to the grand finals in roatx for the junior class and was going for seniors in the u.s. grand nationals as he won the rotax junior in the florida winter tour which gives you a ticket to the grand finals and broke his arm in first official practice because he put his hand out to let someone go by and his tire ran over it. didn't get to run my race the next week.

WHAT, I dont get a clear picture how the tyre got to your hand. When I put my hand then I have it pointing up in a straight line from my shoulder to my fingers wich is formed as a fist wich is much easier to see in case my hand would be exacly were the sun is coming from.

Anyone from Britain here have Sky (and therefore Motors TV)?
I will be on in the next couple months, as this weekend's round at Castle Combe will be broadcast at a later date. :D

If your on the podium make a sign with your hands thats like the R and a D? :p If you let us know when its broadcast I'll give it a watch. :) If I had access to the car I may have come down (on my mums insurance).

Since this is a Go-Kart topic I thought of sharing the most unbelivable out come of an little accident.

Well last year I was racing in Formula Yamaha (12hp, 100cc) with a Swiss Hutless chassi since it is mandatory to use that chassi here in Sweden.

Eny how, during the early August I had a race in a city called Örebro.
orebro.JPG

This track is one of the most difficult once on the start of the races because Turn 1 is High speed corner with no braking and T2 is also a high speed corner with minor braking but the danger starts on T3 where all brake hard. Eny how, I was on the final race and with a grid of 20 cars it was all intensive and nerv craking. On the rolling start drivers are ment to go side my side, as we did that the driver infront of me made a stupid brake test and I could not react to that since our distance was 10-20 cm. So I bumpt him and I damaged my front spoiler on the left side.

The front spoiler got a bend that looked like a rear wings Formula cars have. While I was driving I did not know that but I was so angry because the driver infront broke the rules. So on the start I got right behind him and it was of. I did not lose a single possision on T1 and T2, but once I came to T3 I had the outer line once I braked and I was side by side with someone. once I turned I sow a BIG line of cars as they were taking T4. What I did was I braked VERY late and Hard and I overtook 3 cars on the straight fron T3 to T4. I had to push the 3rd driver on the Exit of T4 but once I did that I had a clear road to the front cars and I had no one chasing me. (you should know that T3 and T4 is VERY tight)

So as I went to the last corner I feelt that the grip had improved once I was turning to the left and I could take the corners with more speed. But once I went on the straights I was starting to get feared because I had a 2 kart length distance to the driver up ahead and I managed to catch up to that distance before T1. I then passed the driver on T4 once again and I was of to my next pray. Once I was on the last corner of the 2nd lap I had 3 kart lengths to the driver up ahead and on the straight I was closing if on him too and I Was starting to worry that I might not have weigths on the kart because on the previous race I could not catch up that much to the driver infront of me on the straight.

As the race ended and I stoped the car I went out side to check if I had weigths or not and I did. That was the point where I sow that my front spoiler was debormed and I could not understand how come a kart could improve that much because they are not that much affected by aerodynamics. But that day I got a broken spoiler that managed to improve my grip and top speed without me noticing it.
How ever I am very glad that I managed to overtake 3 kart's because I use to think 2 was hard enough but 3 is something that doesn't happen often and won't happen again.

I started 16th since I qualified from the 1st final into the 2nd Final out of the 3 finals. and I finished in 10th or 11th. In overall I finished in 28th or 29th out of 45 drivers. (I blame my average result on that I was new to the track)

Hello guys,

it is great you opened this thread. I see we share hobby in virtual and real world, wich is great.

I am racing since 2004 (...more or less since I can pay my stuff on my own :wink:...) and I have to say I made a lot of friends and I learned many many things with this hobby. I will post here some pictures of the current seasson and a couple of onboard videos training. I hope you enjoy.

This is my current helmet:
HELMET.jpg

This is some pit action. There is always one carity soul willing to help you... XD
PIT ACTION.jpg

This is my last race at Jumilla International Circuit... it was rain after dry after wet after dry again, until the universal storm falled down in the last race... an onboard pic.
RAIN.jpg

And some action under the sun aswell...
Action2.jpg

Here I will post a couple of onboard videos, one at my home track Aguilas Karting Club, very close to my home, if you watch it closely you will notice I brake the fornt wheels with a lever behind my wheel (right hand)... watch it in HD:

And the second one in the Villena Circuit. In this case I follow a collegue with the camera in his helmet and looking back... watch it in HD:

WoW it's very nice to see e that you are racing kart's, and those 2 tracks on the onboard video are looking so good (they looks perfect for my driving style). I was hearing lots of slides on the first video and I wonder if you are moving your body enough to lift the inner wheel. (I have a bad habit and that that I forget to move my body enough so I can lift the inner wheel)

It's a bit funny that Tbe Black Rebel driver drives a CRG Black Star :D

Thanks Fred, glad you like it. Indeed as you say it is a CRG Road Rebel. The diference between the Black Star and the Road Rebel ia that the last one use only 32 mm pipes for the chassis, while the Black Stars is a combination of 30 & 32 mm pipes. Anyway it is still funny that A Black Rebel drives a Road Rebel...:cool: ... I hope the next model is a CRG Black star road Rebel ... XD

The Swiss Huttless Giorgos use is a really good material aswell.

As for the tyre screaming on the first video it is beacuse the circuit was opened some months ago and the grip there is not the best by far. I use to move my body for the weight distribution, and as you I forget about it sometimes Giorgos.

yeah it may also be how you drive aswell. if you turn the wheel slightly to the opposite direction of where you're going when you brake then turn the right direction it sends the back tires around and you do a lot of sliding and squeeling. tried it before and didn't work to good for me (probably because i have less horsepower)
now here's a crazy story. in april i was racing at a go kart track in the parking lot of homestead-miami speedway (nascar track). the track was repaved about a year ago. it has tight corners. well on sunday i was in i think 7 out of 12 cars and was really happy. had about 4 cars behind me. well the kart ahead of me had a bumber coming off. he got a meatball flag (black flag with an orange circle meaning to get off the track because of the mechanical problem). he passed it twice then after that gave him a black flag. he came off then. then we come up on lap traffic about 3 to 4 seconds ahead and turn 1 and 2 are close together. you have a long straight then you go throught a tight turn 1 then have a small straight and then turn 2 and turn 3 right after it. well i was about five karty lengths back out of turn 1 then caught up to him in turn 2 and he went so much slower than me i couldn't slow down because i had such a great run out of turn 2. if i went to the inside he would slow me down and everyone behind me would of passed me and if i went to the outside he would of knocked me out. i ran into him and lost my front bumper. i came around and they gave me the meatball flag. i noded my head. and then the first corner i went to the inside of him and we got into eachother again and he hit the outside wall and i kept going. he had got hurt and was in the back of the ambulance for a couple minutes. i come off the track and the race director tells me i got dq because of it. i was extremely mad. i was yelling at the race director and about to beat up the kid. then one of the dads of a driver in my class who's a friend of mine pulled me away and walked me back to my trailer.
i talk to the race director once i was cool and asked why i was dq. they said i passed the meatball flag twice then got the blag falg then wrecked the kid. i told them the kid in front of me passed it twice and i only passed it once. the flagman was there and he agreed but he said i was racing the kid after that. do you agree with the penalty?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 237 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 297 13.3%