F1 2013 Just some noob questions

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
This is something I've known for a long time, but this game is harder than crap with a controller. No, I don't want to buy a wheel. I just started career with all assists off except for pit assist, hundred percent races, on legend difficulty. Holy frustrating! I'm in the Toro Rosso, and hopefully you guys will agree that it's awful to make me feel a little better. I did Melbourne on Professional or whatever the level under legend is, and came fifth. I think Melbourne suits me and the car better than Malaysia or China, but at those places I was like forty seconds away from fifteenth and sixteenth respectively. Since this is the way the pecking order appears to be, I'm not ready to give up, but I'd like some closure. Does anything get better? Or will I be doomed to race pointlessly against the Caterhams until I get better?

That was just the first question. These three races were my first without all assists. I'm not bad, as I have a lot of laps on a lot of games, but the traction control assist seems to be killing me. I just can't get to the throttle as quickly as the legend A.I. cars. My races are definitely not perfect, I struggle the most when grip is marginal, like rain, or very old tyres; and my pace on primes in the race with some fuel weight is dreadful. I just can't see myself picking up that much time on a stupid Williams. I have used Tiametmarduk's setups on Youtube, and they're definitely better than the default, but seemingly won't get me quick enough. I tried some off this forum for Bahrain, and it seemed like none of them made me any faster, they all felt similar, and I approached the corners very similarly. Sadly, I'm about three seconds off the time that the posters claim, but I really can't push the car much harder! So my question is, what are you guys doing to go so damn fast? Is a wheel worth that much?

Another unrelated question, how does the tyre allocation for a weekend work? I see around two sets of Primes and options can be blacked out for a weekend, but I don't know how many sets you get for whatever session. Do you get a set of primes and options for the Qualy sessions and a set of each for the race? Maybe someone can tell me a little bit about how that works; I'm trying to use my sets of tyres more effectively.

That should do me for now, thanks to anyone who read this far. I know it sounds like a venting but I'm just looking for more speed. Thanks for any advice and Happy New Year!

Hi Anthony, firstly your talking about career mode yes? if so your car is underdeveloped it takes a lot of R&D to get your car up to speed and AI's are ridiculously quick on legend. You finished 5th in a Toro Roso in melbourne that really good, your hardly expecting to win every race. Just try and meet your targets.Tyre wear is a big problem at the start of career too. Tiametmarduk is naturally fast and setups might make better handling it doesn't really make you automatically fast. A wheel is not going to make you faster either it just gives the feeling of more immersion with the game. It's gonna take time and patience in career mode. My advice is to race on the difficulty that gives you the most enjoyment. Getting used to no assist takes a bit of time but it's well worth it, the more you play the quicker you'll get. Some of the fastest guys in our league use controllers.

Regarding tyre allocation because there is no FP1 & 2 in the game it automatically discounts those tyres that are blacked out. The tyres available are used at your own discretion but try and keep fresh tyres for your race strategy.

Thanks, kinda what I figured, I'm just well above average on other games and I've played F1 in the past, just can't hang with the damn AI. I'll keep plugging away, I'll just try lower difficulty every third race or something to keep up with my teammate, I was like forty seconds behind JEV at China, so that's quite a bit to make up. I've been managing my tyres the best I can, but I thought I was going to have more for the race and I just couldn't use two sets on race day. They must be for practice and qualy but I'm not sure, still would like someone to explain this. Thanks for posting Gavin!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 97 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 106 13.7%