Jules Bianchi

Nice info @Benutzername

Went to do a lil' reasearch on Brack and saw the crash. He suffered 214g for 2 milliseconds however the car kept going after the main hit. In Jules case the car just stopped, period. In Brack case the force kept dissipating.
I was just stating that it is possible to survive this high G-Forces and not be instantly dead.

@Josh Noack

:D I am doing some mistakes while typing too fast :p

maybe but these lines are far more important i think

"During the two seconds Bianchi's car was leaving the track and traversing the run-off area, he applied both throttle and brake together, using both feet."

"The Failsafe algorithm is designed to over-ride the throttle and cut the engine, but was inhibited by the torque coordinator, which controls the rear brake-by-wire (BBW) system."

"Bianchi's Marussia has a unique design of BBW, which proved to be incompatible with the Failsafe settings."

Andi

I agree Connor but if you look it that way there are many more things if they didn't happen it would be no problem for Jules. (if my ant had ......). Those accidents are usually a string of events which led to the nearly fatal crash of Bianchi. I think it is not fair to blame only the speed of the Marussia or the brake by wire system of that car. Personally I think that the FIA should have ( I know hindsight is a beautiful thing) stopped the race. I my opinion the situation at that moment of the crash was as bad as with the start of the race. If it isn't safe to race at the start then it isn't safe to race on a later period.

The sad thing is that the FIA isn't changing anything besides a virtual pace car.

I think the drivers should have the expectation that run-off areas will be safe if they crash. Bianchi could easily have come off at the same place owing to a mechanical failure with the same result - hitting a dangerous object that should NOT be in a run-off area.

It's all about safety, and the cost of a decent crane that could reach over the barrier is pocket change to F1...

I think the drivers should have the expectation that run-off areas will be safe if they crash. Bianchi could easily have come off at the same place owing to a mechanical failure with the same result - hitting a dangerous object that should NOT be in a run-off area.

It's all about safety, and the cost of a decent crane that could reach over the barrier is pocket change to F1...
Basically if there is double-yellows you know something happened, the situation is unsafe, hence the warnings by double-yellows, and you should always slow down. A crash or in your example a failure in that same spot could both easily be avoided if you slow down more. (The failure itself maybe not but the runoff into the crane)
Please remember, not just his life was(is) at risk, also Sutil's was at risk if he still walked there running away from the vehicle. The marshalls are cleaning up, they are at risk. Double-yellows is not without a reason, also referring to your upset about the dangerous object in a run-off area, and the focus should IMO be moved on Bianchi's fault (ignoring the double-yellows. speeding under them) rather than an unlucky timing.
The story of the crane is just unlucky and easily avoidable, IF AND ONLY IF the driver respects the rules of double-yellows.
Improving safety would mean rules for a fixed speed in double-yellow areas. Here at the Zandvoort track there is a new introduction active since a few years in amateur motorsports. Speed limit near crash sites of 60kph. 60 kph might not be desirable for F1, but these are options to consider with different speeds. I don't like pointing fingers to organisations/people who followed protocol and then get blamed for following it. Please point fingers towards those that have failed, whatever their medical condition may be.
Dont get me wrong, I do feel for Jules, we all do and I hope he gets better soon. But if it is his fault, which the investigation shows, then he responsible for what went wrong, not the FIA, not the marshalls, not the track host, not the marshalls, just him.
Driving a car is one thing, driving responsibly is another ;)

PS. If the full 396-pages counting report of the investigation show any contradiction to what I just said, I DID NOT READ THE FULL REPORT :p

"the report says Bianchi's terrible injuries are the result of an unfortunate set of circumstances, including the difficult conditions, the speed he was going and the presence of a recovery vehicle on track."
--
"In hindsight, it seems a terrible idea for a recovery crane that weighed 6.5 tonnes to be on the track side of the barriers during a wet race on a fast corner with cars at close to racing speeds.

Looking back, no-one would disagree with that. But the fact is that despite Martin Brundle narrowly missing such a vehicle in a similar incident at Suzuka 20 years ago, few people thought anything of this until after Bianchi's crash.

Now, though, this point has been accepted. And when cranes are required, the new virtual safety car will be put into action."
--
"It was normal practice for a driver to slow down in such situations only enough for them to have showed they had slowed down should they be questioned later. There was no definition of how much they should do so.

It was behaviour that had become acceptable, in that it passed without comment from officials. In hindsight, that was a mistake - hence the introduction of the 'virtual safety car' for next season."

Lots of great hindsight about things that should have been obvious - just ask Jackie Stewart ;)

In hindsight, it seems a terrible idea for a recovery crane that weighed 6.5 tonnes to be on the track side of the barriers during a wet race on a fast corner with cars at close to racing speeds.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. If double yellows are waved you shouldn't drive at race speeds but far below that. If you fail to do so and slide of the track into a crane then that is your own fault. I do think that mistakes are being made but not by the guys who tried to recover a car just the way they always did it. Maybe a crane outside the track is a solution but there always will be point that the crane could not reach.

If it was up to me I would go for the fixed speed on the waved yellow section. It takes the choice away from the driver.

Sutil was well away from his car by the time Bianchi crashed on the next lap.
He saw the whole thing happen.
Bianchi actually was the car behind Sutil when Sutil crashed.

But you understand what I mean, it could be a person instead of the crane. And sadly, if it was a marshall I don't think that many would care :(

I see FIA try to put blame off themselves in this document. In my opinion, it was Race Directors fault not to bring SC in time.
I don't know how people still blame FIA, rules are still clear about double-yellows.
SC might or mightn ot have mattered. When I visit races and SC goes out people just go full throttle anyways until they catch up the SC-train, it would not have mattered anyways.
I think it was a good thing for the FIA/Race Directors not to send out those SC for every drip of rain, I thought finally they know how to keep excitement in the racing when there was no SC. These drivers are professionals, they should be able to follow simple rules and control a car, Rain or not. And when there is rain, you know you can spin and crash, you simply know. And when you see double-yellows at that point you should slow down even more and be more cautious. Don't blame FIA or whomever when Bianchi's speed was clearly too high for the situation.

I don't know how people still blame FIA, rules are still clear about double-yellows.
SC might or mightn ot have mattered. When I visit races and SC goes out people just go full throttle anyways until they catch up the SC-train, it would not have mattered anyways.
No, you are wrong. Everyone should have been behind SC at this time, including Bianchi. Clearly Sutil went off in dangerous place and rain was getting heavier, so it was race director mistake not to bring SC at this point.

22 re-edited videos
4 big breathtaking soundtracks
17 symbolic minutes
In emotional rollercoaster
My latest video

After 40 days and when things have settled around him i think the timing is perfect to publish this video and reflect on what he did and how he was honored by all.

I hope you will enjoy it!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back