Jeremy Clarkson dropped as Top Gear host, BBC confirms

Your word ridden two hour long tirade doesnt say much except that "if one million flippin idiots enjoy a show by a bully who manhandles colleagues, indulges in racial slurs on a routinely basis, has been on the record to ridicule the less previleged, etc. etc., then the few who question his actions (and rightly so), should toss off because entertainment of 1 million idiots is what matters." Actions, my friend, should be judged on the basis of their individual merit, not because "Hitler and his more than a million looneys enjoyed the WW II."

Well, I do like the show quite a bit but don't condone Jeremy's offenses. It's a shame really that he couldn't just act a little more responsibly given the position he was in.

I was watching TopGear even before the Clarkson days it went from an okay car program to must watch TV. We haven't seen the last of JC but I think it's time for a re-think with the format, it's been a bit hit & miss the last few years. I can't really see the 3 amigos being off the TV that long they pull in the punters, I would say they have most the TV networks in their back pocket already.

Punch a fellow worker :thumbsdown:

On reflection I would like to revise my comments from my first post and, would like to balance to argument on psychical & racial abusive behavior to a fellow worker.

Punch a fellow BBC member of staff :thumbsdown:
Punch Piers Morgan join the queue :D

I've been a fan of the show for many years although I've found the format a little stale the last couple of seasons.

Still don't believe for one minute they didn't realise what they were doing with the number plate in Argentina.....lost a lot of respect for the show when they kept denying it was planned. If you want to be controversial at least stand behind your decisions.

I guess it's ironic that the closer I've gotten to middle age the less appealing the show haa become :thumbsdown:

I still like to think this is the real eye witness account :D
Interview With Jeremy Clarkson's Waiter:

Shows like South Park are way more offensive than Clarkson.

Clarkson just uses prejudices very often and normally they dont harm anyone, cause anybody knows how it is meant.

Top Gear without Clarkson will have way less success - Even if Clarkson did some stupid stuff, to kick him is not clever from the BBC. The show wont be as popular as before

It probably will have less success, but given that the show practically given up on being remotely journalistic years ago, why would it matter if it's less successful. I know it's a very biased view, but let's face it, it's become pretty pointless now...

Also, I don't know where you are or how much you know about British TV, but people did get really pissed at his racial slurs. I remember watching a show called Gogglebox and the 2 Jamaican women on there got really upset with the slurs. They wanted him punished for it and I think the majority of people do to be honest.

They may be able to get 100k signatures on a petition, but lets think about how many people actually live in Britain. There's an awful lot more who DIDN'T sign the petition to keep him. I for one didn't. I'm glad that jumped up, over-opinionated bellend is gone. He clearly thought he was bigger than he actually was.

Just my 2 cents

:)

It probably will have less success, but given that the show practically given up on being remotely journalistic years ago, why would it matter if it's less successful. I know it's a very biased view, but let's face it, it's become pretty pointless now...

Also, I don't know where you are or how much you know about British TV, but people did get really pissed at his racial slurs. I remember watching a show called Gogglebox and the 2 Jamaican women on there got really upset with the slurs. They wanted him punished for it and I think the majority of people do to be honest.

They may be able to get 100k signatures on a petition, but lets think about how many people actually live in Britain. There's an awful lot more who DIDN'T sign the petition to keep him. I for one didn't. I'm glad that jumped up, over-opinionated bellend is gone. He clearly thought he was bigger than he actually was.

Just my 2 cents

:)

As far as i know Top Gear was more an entertaining show than a car show. If one want to watch a proper car show one should watch shows like Fifth gear and not Top Gear. And with that given, to lose their main entertainer is a big loss for the show.

By the way i think its really interesting and nice to see that at this topic there does not seem to be the "right" or "wrong". We have lots of different opinions, partly shared and partly not. I like this, and the discussion is a good one - Not like discussion held on facebook or youtube which are mainly insulting comments.

Edit: i crossed out something of the quote because at the moment i pressed quote it wasnt in Dan's post. Still it got into the quote? Strange. Havent seen it before. My reply was not referring to that.

As far as i know Top Gear was more an entertaining show than a car show. If one want to watch a proper car show one should watch shows like Fifth gear and not Top Gear. And with that given, to lose their main entertainer is a big loss for the show.

By the way i think its really interesting and nice to see that at this topic there does not seem to be the "right" or "wrong". We have lots of different opinions, partly shared and partly not. I like this, and the discussion is a good one - Not like discussion held on facebook or youtube which are mainly insulting comments.

Edit: i crossed out something of the quote because at the moment i pressed quote it wasnt in Dan's post. Still it got into the quote? Strange. Havent seen it before. My reply was not referring to that.

That's exactly what I was trying to say in my first post :) It's changed too much. It started as a proper show and got dumber and dumber over a period of time. Such a long period of time that people barely noticed :p

+100 That idiot goes to Vietnam thinking it is funny to paint a car to be a giant rolling stars and stripes flag, they go to the Argentina and start hitting on the Falklands War (*1) for laughs, he should have been fired years ago!

You mean he found a legit number plate that read H982FLK that isn't a slag off at the Argentinians at all! He might have seen this plate on the car and bought that car for that sole purpose but there is no evidence. Just because you don't like the man, I'm not a huge fan but he is part of the trio that makes that show work.
Also Vietnam someone has already corrected you on that...

I'll underline a few things in your statement that make that argument pointless:
1. British TV
2. 2 Jamaican women got really upset
3. They wanted him punished

Well first of all as you said this it's British TV, I'm not a racist, It is bad but it made me laugh and millions around the country. The people offended - Not British, don't get me wrong I'm not a UKIP supporter here, but it is British TV and I know other TV programs that slag off the British. People get offended too easily these days. They wanted him punished - He did get punished, I believe he got a hefty fine and a firm warning from the BBC which is probably part of the reason the BBC couldn't keep him this time around.
what he did is wrong but pointless making statements, whats done is done. Another great TV show that I enjoyed and millions of others.

I'll underline a few things in your statement that make that argument pointless:
1. British TV
2. 2 Jamaican women got really upset
3. They wanted him punished

Well first of all as you said this it's British TV, I'm not a racist, It is bad but it made me laugh and millions around the country. The people offended - Not British, don't get me wrong I'm not a UKIP supporter here, but it is British TV and I know other TV programs that slag off the British. People get offended too easily these days. They wanted him punished - He did get punished, I believe he got a hefty fine and a firm warning from the BBC which is probably part of the reason the BBC couldn't keep him this time around.
what he did is wrong but pointless making statements, whats done is done. Another great TV show that I enjoyed and millions of others.

Yup. That hefty fine proven to be one hell of a deterrent didn't it... Put it this way, if it had been any one of us mere mortals saying that stuff, we'd probably be in court on god knows how many accounts of inciting racial hatred.

You got to remember, the 2 Jamaican women are only "representatives" of the black population in this particular instance. You can bet your life that a large amount of the Black British population was offended by that, just like a lot of Asian British people probably would have been. Gogglebox isn't the ultimate acid test of what public opinion is, I agree, but you can get a good general feel for what people are really thinking.

So I don't think it's pointless at all. My point is, people got offended and he needed to have been taken down a notch or two a bit earlier IMHO.

I enjoy (rather enjoyed) the show but I have to say I am pleased with the BBC decision.
After the revelations of the behaviour of such celebrities and politicians that we have seen of late including Saville, Rolf Harris, The MP Cyril Smith it is a step forards that Celebrity status or money or influence in a least some cases nowadays doesn't put you above the law.

Nomatter how rich, good looking or influential you are no one is excused of manners. Grow Up Clarkson.

We'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few months, I would imagine the BBC has recorded footage from the rest of the series that we haven't yet seen. Will be interesting if they decide to let us see those or they just end up on a hard drive in a vault somewhere! :rolleyes:

I view Top Gear as an entertainment show, like those mentioned above I also watch Fifth Gear, some of the restoration programs, hell I even sometimes used to watch Pimp My Ride just to see what on earth they would dream up! haha.

I don't like reality shows, or soap operas, or judge related shows, and quiz shows aren't much my thing either (doesn't leave much left). Top Gear provided on a Sunday Night something that was totally different, good fun (for me) and showed three presenters having a blast.

It did have a dip in form for a while but this series and the last was in my view a more return to form and I will certainly miss seeing it on my screen.

The ball is firmly in May and Hammond's court now. Do they stick by Clarkson if he decides to go to Sky (for example), or do they stick with the BBC? Both of them do side projects for the company.

I think that yes, Clarkson probably was on his final warning with the BBC but it's still a big shame and it's a pity he just didn't learn from his mistakes.

Having said that though we kept reading that Top Gear put an enormous strain on the BBC budget and they wanted to get rid of it, so there you go more money for the reality shows. haha.

EDIT: Please stop comparing or mentioning Clarkson in the same paragraphs as Jimmy Savile, and co. These people are monsters and did horrific things.

"For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations."

This is hilarious....I now get why the BBC is considered the CNN of Europe. Hell, I don't think even CNN is that stupid. Celebrities have always been treated differently and most networks turn the other cheek. Love him or hate him, Rupert knows how to be successful for a reason.

It's the politicians who get drawn and quartered over here. Maybe it's the opposite in Europe? Oh well, glad to hear Top Gear will likely go on.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back