Jenson Button

I was there and it was an awesome day. My ears were having an audible "crisis" as Clarkson would say.

Button did get thru the Dipper and so did Craig Lowndes, with Lowndes only being 1-2secs of Button in the F1 car. Times were faster with Button 1:47.9 & Lowndes 1:49.

You will see how Lowndes got thru the Dipper when i post my pics. lol

The car was setup for Albert Park, and the were on the rev limiter just as they hit the hill on conrod . So if the car was setup for bathurst and the track was rubbered in. They would get into the 30's.

Had a great day at Bathurst, even tho it was horrible with the rain on the way. As soon as the Mountain could be seen the rain eased to a stop, and the clouds started to open.

Shot with Canon 1D MK2 N with 100-400 & 28-105.

1. Button at Esses.
5549287107_826aa68059.jpg

2. Button at Chase.
5549871042_ac874d407a.jpg

3. Button heading to Dipper.
5549287305_cca7a2ec5b.jpg

4. Lowndes at Skyline.
5549287635_7ed0e513c1.jpg

5. Button heading into Esses.
5549287847_f29dc9a234.jpg

6. Lowndes in Dipper.
5549871840_4e7b9c664c.jpg

7. Lowndes exiting Dipper.
5549871900_65e56e222a.jpg

8. Lowndes at Forrest Elbow.
5549872014_c6b2c1fb3d.jpg

More pics here.

Hmm, I thought the straight down to The Chase was long.. But, yeah, F1's short braking distance. Lets replace them with steel brakes, or even paper!

Jenson-Button_2656644.jpg

Jenson Button believes it is best to have a No 1 driver and a No 2 driver
if you want to win the World Championship.

The World Motor Sport Council's decision to scrap the ban on team orders from this season onwards means team can now openly back one driver up to the hilt. Although Ferrari have never publicly stated that Fernando Alonso is their No 1 driver and Felipe Massa their No 2, they have made no secret of the fact that the Spaniard is their go-to guy in terms of challenging for the Championship.

McLaren on the other hand have always maintained that both their drivers are equal.

Button, though, feels when it comes to battling for the title, it's best to put all your eggs in one basket.

"The best way for a team to win the World Championship would be probably be to have a No 1 driver and a No 2 driver who is happy to be a No 2. We do not have this at McLaren," he told Germany's Welt Online.

He added that despite the desire to beat your team-mate, there are never any hard feelings when Lewis Hamilton wins a race.
"If I cannot win then I am pleased if he wins. I'm like: 'Wow, unlike you he has really done a good job'. Conversely it will be exactly the same because we drive for the same team. A victory is always good for the mood at the team," the 31-year-old said.

When asked to highlight the difference between his and Hamilton's driving styles, Button replied: "Lewis is very good. Even if his car is not perfect, he makes more of these opportunities than I do. I, on the other hand, feel uncomfortable in a car that does not suit to my wishes or ideas."

source

Best for the team - worse for the spectators. Everyone loved Istanbul 2010 - Red Bull on Red Bull, McLaren on McLaren - thats still one of the best races I have seen in my lifetime. If that was to be taken away, as well as team rivalry. I think it would be insane to bring it in, look at Ferrari for example - never once have seen a Ferrari on Ferrari battle since Kimi and Felipe in 2006+2007 - now it's just Alonso ruling over - which is so unenjoyable to watch.

Monza 1991, Mansell and Patrese worked together to get Mansell ahead of Senna. The Williams team were very much using team tactics to get Mansell ahead by getting Patrese to attack Senna and wear out Senna's tyres. Patrese eventually got past Senna and pulled away, leaving Senna trying to fend off Mansell with worn tyres. Mansell eventually got past and won the race (Patrese retired with a gearbox failure). The battle between Mansell and Senna lasted most of the race and is one of the most enjoyable battles I've seen and it all involved team tactics.

You can view the Monza race here:

So not all team tactics and having a #1 and #2, make it a boring race for the spectators.

This is what I think:
There's a reason why there is a constructors championship and a drivers championship. Finishing in 1st and 2nd place will earn the same points for the team. Team tactics should be about how to get both drivers in a good position, not just one of them!
And then there's the drivers championship, where teammates are opponents, and there should be no team orders like "swap places" between 1st and 2nd, it kills the sport, the winner is clearly not the true winner in a situation like that, etc.. The only situation where they should apply team orders is when the driver ahead is clearly slower, and they tell him to let his teammate pass him so they don't lose much time. (because the other one can possibly get a few more places --> a few more points for the team)

This is what I think:
There's a reason why there is a constructors championship and a drivers championship. Finishing in 1st and 2nd place will earn the same points for the team. Team tactics should be about how to get both drivers in a good position, not just one of them!
And then there's the drivers championship, where teammates are opponents, and there should be no team orders like "swap places" between 1st and 2nd, it kills the sport, the winner is clearly not the true winner in a situation like that, etc.. The only situation where they should apply team orders is when the driver ahead is clearly slower, and they tell him to let his teammate pass him so they don't lose much time. (because the other one can possibly get a few more places --> a few more points for the team)

Well said +1

These issues are why the WDC is so unfair that it really doesn't mean much except for driver egos. For preference I'd really like to see it awarded to team mate pairs.

So not all team tactics and having a #1 and #2, make it a boring race for the spectators.

And look how natural the announcers talk about team orders, and now compare with one year ago :D

This is what I think:

That was exactly the situation at Hockenheim 2010.

Massa was clearly holding Alonso and the team decided to let him pass before Vettel catch them both. Alonso finished the race with 4 seconds lead over Massa, while Vettel was only 1 sec behind him, which means on his tail trying to pass.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back