Jenson Button Confirmed at McLaren for 2016

Chris

Premium
MH-Drivers-20150127-0400-e1422534833829.jpg
McLaren-Honda have today announced that Jenson Button will remain in the drivers seat for the 2016 season.

Much speculation has been made of the Britons future after rumours began to circulate that Button would be leaving Formula One for good at the end of this season. However, as ever in Formula One, things change incredibly rapidly and now Button will be fulfilling his two year contract until the end of 2016.

Ron Dennis, CEO of McLaren Technology Group:
"Jenson and I have been discussing his plans in private for the past few weeks, and the fact that our talks have led to today’s announcement is very pleasing to both of us and will delight and motivate all at McLaren-Honda." and that, " I am extremely pleased. Jenson is the most experienced driver currently racing in Formula 1, and next season he is due to become only the third driver [after Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher] in Formula 1 history to pass the milestone of 300 Grands Prix."
Jenson himself has also released a statement saying:
"Over the past month or so I have done quite a lot of thinking, and it is no secret that I was at one point in two minds about my future.

"But I have been a McLaren driver for six seasons now, and in that time I have got to know Ron very well. He and I have had some very good chats these past few weeks, and during those chats it has become clear to me that Ron is both utterly determined and uniquely equipped to lead our team through its current difficulties to great successes in the future. That gives me great confidence, and it is for that reason that, together, he and I have decided to continue our partnership; and, as soon as I had made that decision, straight away I realised it was the correct one.

"Okay, granted, this year has not been an easy one for us, but we know what we need to do to improve things and, in collaboration with Honda, we will work extremely hard over the next weeks and months in order to make sure that 2016 will be a much better season than 2015 has been.

"I can’t wait!"
Button has performed at a far higher level this season than many pundits predicted, and has largely been a match for his Spanish Bull Fighter of a teammate: Fernando Alonso. There's no doubt that Jenson Button has well and truly earned and deserves this seat, but with so much young talent currently unable to find a seat in Formula One, do you feel this was the right decision?

Last edited:
Sad for Stoffel Vandoorne.
but still great to still have jenson in the sport! I wouldn´t mind to see him in WEC or Blancpain or something like that but still happy for him.
Stoffel will get the seat, when jenson leaves f1 (probably next year) but for kmag i sadly see no future with mclaren.

but still great to still have jenson in the sport! I wouldn´t mind to see him in WEC or Blancpain or something like that but still happy for him.
Stoffel will get the seat, when jenson leaves f1 (probably next year) but for kmag i sadly see no future with mclaren.

True, I really like Button and it’s nice to have him one more season in F1.
But it’s sad to see a talent like Vandoorne getting no seat in F1 whereas someone like Maldonado drives since 2011. But hey…the world has never been fair. ;)

True, I really like Button and it’s nice to have him one more season in F1.
But it’s sad to see a talent like Vandoorne getting no seat in F1 whereas someone like Maldonado drives since 2011. But hey…the world has never been fair. ;)
yeah it´s sad and unfair...that´s true..

I feel sorry for Button, a good driver stuck in another frustrating season with a sub-par car. Should have been grabbed up by Haas!
well you can´t know if the haas car is any better!
that would have been a much more risky move than alonso did last year!
we can only hope that it works well for grosjean.

That's great news for Button's supporters, and for the team in the present tense.

I still think it's kinda lousy that McLaren's mortgaging the careers of Magnussen and Vandoorne to do it. I wouldn't be surprised, nor saddened for McLaren, if both of them walked out after this year.

• Deleted member 205301

Haas did say they would have a Ferrari development driver in the no. 2 seat.

Where did You get this ? (I mean : in wich "official board" did you get this)

Stoffel won't get that seat. Another team will snap him up. He's too good for sitting around and waiting for McLaren to offer him a drive

McLaren have now lost two young drivers. K.Mag will go off to IndyCar (Like he was going to do last year before McLaren screwed him over) while Vandoorne will go elsewhere. That leaves just Nyck De Vries

Why are folk getting mad at McLaren for not taking on the young guys? They have 2 world champions, why would they go for unproven rookies? Blame the teams that take on pay drivers for keeping Vandoorne and Magnussen out of seats

Why are folk getting mad at McLaren for not taking on the young guys? They have 2 world champions, why would they go for unproven rookies? Blame the teams that take on pay drivers for keeping Vandoorne and Magnussen out of seats

1) Magnussen isn't a rookie, he's had a full seasons experience
2) Vandoorne is leading GP2 by over 100 points, how else does he need to prove that he's worthy of a F1 seat at McLaren

Stoffel won't get that seat. Another team will snap him up. He's too good for sitting around and waiting for McLaren to offer him a drive

McLaren have now lost two young drivers. K.Mag will go off to IndyCar (Like he was going to do last year before McLaren screwed him over) while Vandoorne will go elsewhere. That leaves just Nyck De Vries
possible, but it doesn´t really matter as long as he gets in somewhere!

1) Magnussen isn't a rookie, he's had a full seasons experience
2) Vandoorne is leading GP2 by over 100 points, how else does he need to prove that he's worthy of a F1 seat at McLaren

But relative to Button and Alonso they're nobodies. Sure, they're better than the pay drivers, but that ain't McLaren's problem. McLaren have arguably the best pairing on the grid, they have no reason to change that

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%