Jean Eric Vergne impresses in Singapore GP

498756339_CM_3855_F80001F0F316934EDF50646C1452C392.jpg

After the extraordinary news during the F1 summer break that Red Bull junior team Scuderia Toro Rosso are replacing Frenchman Jean Eric Vergne with 16 year old Max Verstappen for next year, Vergne has been itching to show his potential in the hope it will earn him a deserved seat in F1 next year.

Yesterday's Singapore Grand Prix was a much needed stand out race for the talented Red Bull junior driver, who rose through the field from 12th to finish 6th on a track notorious for it's lack of over taking opportunities, this despite two 5 second time penalties for track limits infringements also.

Understandably after the race Vergne was very pleased with his showing and result and had this to say to Autosport "Sixth is like a podium for us, and I am extremely happy, It's good for me and this season I need to push for next year. Today I think I showed my potential. I think I did everything I could today."

This 6th place significantly raises his points tall this year to 19, 11 more than arguably this year's best rookie Daniil Kvyat which shows the level Jean Eric is racing at the moment. It would be crazy to think that Jean Eric Vergne's F1 career could be over by the age of 24, as he is more than deserving of a place on the 2015 F1 grid. What are your thoughts on his performance yesterday and his chances for a 2015 F1 seat?

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the real deal too. He trained for the first time with a sim racer I know at various tracks in a certain sim. The sim racer is alien class. First time out he was 0.5 off his pace then he matched him. Incredible talent we will see.

I remember when he was first signed to Toro Rosso and most people couldn't believe they let some relative nobody was replacing Buemi/Alguersuari and that it was the biggest mistake they'd ever made.

Fast forward to 2014 and suddenly Toro Rosso firing Vergne after three years (maximum tenure at Toro Rosso) is the worst thing they've ever done. Hearts are fickle!

Have to agree. Why Toro Rosso let Vergne go is beyond me. They already have an unexperienced rookie driver, why get a second one? Meanwhile Vergne doesn't have a drive although he deserves it more than a third of the grid.

Last edited:
That would be a formidable WEC team it could also be the new project Adrian Newey is looking for after finding F1 too stifling sure he would find the much more expansive WEC rule book more to his liking

I'd like to see him move to McLaren if Jenson leaves, I think he'd fit in great. Provided McLaren-Honda sort out their problems, he could be a race winner.

• Deleted member 130869

I'd like to see JEV remain in the grid but F1 is so tight... Let's not forget poor Nico Hulkenberg. That guy is my hope for the McLaren Honda seat. A Force India ride would definitely not be bad for JEV and it may be the best he can secure next year.

Although I agree JEV is "good enough" for F1, I don't think he's better than any of the other non-pay drivers, Sutil excepted (but he's gone next year as well I think). Sure he's better than Chilton et al., but without paying drivers, their teams would be off the grid anyway (which I wouldn't mind, but that's me).

Personally, I'd love to see Grosjean flourish next year as part of a renewed Lotus organization.

Henk

JEV made a great GP on his last laps but he will need more than that to keep his seat in F1 next year. Sure, he has proven that he had good ressources at the end of a difficult Grand Prix, physically, mentally and a good management of his tyres while the others were walking a tightrope. So, he is able to do... unfortunately, he didn't show it so often.
To get noticed, he needs to be at 200 %, as he showed it in Singapore, for the last races of the season.

Other problem: Which team? Most of the transferts are done now for 2015.
Doors are closed for Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren, Williams, Ferrari, Toro Rosso, Force India, Lotus... Caterham will probably not survive until the end of the season. Looking at Sauber and Marussia financial issues, they need pay-drivers, if they manage to remain in F1 next year.

Coming from Red Bull sector with no sponsors and no money is not synonymic of a long carrier guaranty, nowadays...

My opinion on JEV, he belongs in F1. A good driver. But he did not stood out at STR and the policy there is move up or move out and that is just what happened to him. I think he is a lot better then quite a lot of drivers in F1. So I hope he finds a seat next year where he can continue his F1 career.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back