Jaguar Confirm Electric Single Make Series, Begins 2018

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Jaguar I-PACE Electric Series.jpg

Jaguar have confirmed a brand new all electric single make series to support Formula E next season, introducing the new Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY.

Supporting the electric FIA Formula E open wheel championship, Jaguar hope the new I-PACE eTROPHY will provide the Indian owned British manufacturer a suitable test bed for new electronc technology, as the blue chip brand look to lead the way in electrifying their series of new car models in future years.

To be run as a full time support series for Formula E on a variety of tight city centre circuits around the world, the new championship will feature up to 20 of the new Jaguar I-PACE electric five door saloon cars, and will consist of practice and qualifying sessions ahead on a single 30 minute race, without the need for drivers to swap cars or recharge mid event as is the case with Formula E at present.

Gerd Mäuser, Chairman of Jaguar Racing, said:

“Jaguar returned to racing in 2016 with the mission ‘Race to Innovate’. With the launch of the Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY, we’ve strengthened our commitment to battery electric vehicles, international motorsport and Formula E. As a British team, we’re proud to announce today the launch of the world’s first production battery electric vehicle championship. We’ve always said we want to prove our electrification technologies on the track - this is the proof. I’m looking forward to seeing a full grid of Jaguar I-PACE race cars in late 2018, soon after the first Jaguar I-PACE hits the road in Europe. Ultimately, this innovative series will enhance the technology in our future electric vehicles and benefit our customers. Formula E has grown exponentially since we joined as the first premium manufacturer last year, with recent commitments from Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche.”
The new series will be open to drivers of any experience level, with Jaguar planning to offer a unique 'arrive and drive' package where for a fixed fee drivers can have access to car and team, technical support, spare parts and the equipment to enable participation in the new category.

Revealed at the Frankfurt Motor Show today, technical specifications and pricing have yet to be revealed, however it is expected that the car will take to the circuit in the next few months in preparation for launch towards the end of 2018.

The new Jaguar I-PACE series will mark the first time Formula E has had a full time support category since its inception back in 2014, and with increased commitment to both the series and electric vehicles in general from Jaguar, Formula E are understandably delighted with the latest announcement.

Alejandro Agag, Founder & CEO of Formula E, said:

“Jaguar has been a welcome addition to Formula E and a fantastic advocate for electric street racing. I’m delighted that in addition to the Panasonic Jaguar Racing team competing on the Formula E grid, we’ll also be adding to our race day schedule with a competitive new support series for season five - the Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY. The competition will offer more entertainment for fans in-between sessions and is further testament to the advances in battery technology and exciting electric performance. I hope Jaguar will allow me to bring my race suit and helmet... and maybe get behind the wheel myself!”
To mark the new series announcement both Jaguar and Formula E have produced a short introductory trailer for the car, which can be seen below:

Jaguar I-PACE Electric Series 3.jpg
Jaguar I-PACE Electric Series 2.jpg
Jaguar I-PACE Electric Series 4.jpg
Jaguar I-PACE Electric Series 5.jpg

For more news from the world of petrol and electric motorsport, check out the Motorsports Sub Forum and get yourself in on the discussion!

Happy to see Jaguar moving closer to electric cars and racing? Do you think the I-PACE series will be a success? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I like it. Future of motoracing is electric anyway so good that we see more of it.

Just if they could do something with engine sound it would be perfect :cool:

I support expanding and improving alternative power sources, thus cars using alternative energy sources too. Those who thinks ahead always win.
Yeah by making big SUVs (which the I-Pace is, and no doubt heavy if they don't want to switch cars mid-race) to race around a street circuit for entertainment. The future.

Just watched whole weekend Goodwood old car's and was drooling at those. And now here we are, introducing racing with a microwave...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back