It's time to go VR - But which set?

Hi! Which VR set is the best to use for AC you think (and why?)j

Today Im running a 24" in full hd with Ryzen 5 at 3.8Ghz, and a GTX 1070. Will I get problems going to VR? Will I need to lower settings in AC / CM or can I use same settings (exept for resoulution of course).

Hi! Which VR set is the best to use for AC you think (and why?)j

Today Im running a 24" in full hd with Ryzen 5 at 3.8Ghz, and a GTX 1070. Will I get problems going to VR? Will I need to lower settings in AC / CM or can I use same settings (exept for resoulution of course).
Be prepared to run mostly low with a few at medium and that’s on an Oculus Rift CV1. VR needs a ton of juice to power but AC even on lowered settings still looks great to me because it’s so clear.

The index is the best one but it ups the resolution (which I guess you could run with lower res until you upgrade) and the software for dealing with lower frame rates isn’t as good so your rig needs to be even beefier.

Rift S is meant to have better clarity than CV1 and doesn’t need extra sensors for tracking which is a plus but then non-sim games won’t be as good.

Personally if you need to upgrade your rig to get the full benefit I would get a Rift S and by the time you upgrade your rig the next gen of headsets will hopefully drop with foveated rendering which will make them exponentially easier to run.

If you plan to upgrade sooner though then I’d consider the index.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I would suggest Samsung Odyssey+ over Rift S
- 90 hz AMOLED Displays (80hz LCD Rift S)
- 1440x1600 per eye (1280x1440 Rift S)
- Anti SDE screen
- Adjustable IPD (fixed IPD 63.5 Rift S)
- Better audio AKG headpones (headband speakers Rift S)
- On sale price is a bargain

Or hold a little longer for next gen.

Upvote 0
The Oculus SDK runs smoother (less jerky) than Steamvr imo and is more advanced imo - the Oculus drivers alone are worth opting for and that's from someone who has owned HTC vive, windows mixed reality, oculus rift 1 and now the oculus rift s. But the built in speakers in the oculus rift s are very meh, however, plug in a pair of ear buds/headphones into the it's jack on the headset on the sound is awesome. The oculus rift s is also very comfortable to wear whereas the htc vice can bang on your nose due to the design of it. The ipd is not a problem unless you have a particulary wide or narrow ipd. I reckon ipd from between 61 and 67 and you should be good (that covers many people) - any wider or narrow than that then i'd go for something else. Like someone else said buy cheap now and then pay more for next gen' as the oculus rift s is cheapish to buy.

Edit: Also - the oculus rift is less deamding on pc due to the software but also the lower refresh rate of 80 compared to 90/120 of some of the other headsets - though it's lower personally i can't really tell the difference between 80 or 90.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your system is right at the threshold of driving a first gen headset well. You could play all the non-sim games reasonably well. Some like iRacing might do better for you. It seems to be very efficient in VR.

If you want the best VR headset, you will need more power to drive it well.

A Rift S will be the easiest "modern" headset for your existing system to drive, but as mentioned above you won't be pushing it to look as good as it could.

Right now the "best" VR headset would be one of the following depending on your priorities:

Valve Index ( fps, excellent hand tracking for room scale games )
Pimax 8K+ ( field of view & resolution, excellent hand tracking for room scale games ) not released yet.

HP Reverb ( resolution )
Samsung O+ ( bang for the buck )
Rift S ( lowest load on PC, decent hand tracking for room scale games )

There is an extreme range of price for these systems and my comparisons above just highlight what makes a headset stand out. They range all over for abilities past that.

The Odyssey Plus has been found on sale for $220.
The Pimax 8KX is $1828 with Valve base stations and hand controllers.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@RCHeliguy , pretty sure by hand tracking you meant controllers.
I don't play room scale games, but in early days found WMR controllers tracking more than adequate except certain scenarios, is Rift S in current state a big jump improvement, remember after release it was even worse than WMR despite extra cameras.

Upvote 0
The Rift S hand controller tracking is now basically acceptable most of the time, but still not as good as the original Rift which isn't nearly as good as with base stations.

My experience with WMR controllers was that they were completely unacceptable. I hated using them. It was very frustrating.

I spend more time in room scale than in my rig so this is a priority for me personally. For those of you who give the hand controllers light use, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

The Rift S hand controller tracking is now basically acceptable most of the time, but still not as good as the original Rift which isn't nearly as good as with base stations.

My experience with WMR controllers was that they were completely unacceptable. I hated using them. It was very frustrating.

I spend more time in room scale than in my rig so this is a priority for me personally. For those of you who give the hand controllers light use, I'm sure it doesn't matter.
Do you have Rift S in your household to compare?

Upvote 0
Supposedly there were substantial improvements. I've seen a lot of the initial reviews that were very negative about the Rift S's tracking, but apparently they improved things based on the reviews I've read.

Inside out still has a ways to go before it will be competitive.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies