It's good to be back

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Hello Track Makers,

Well from the looks of the tracks in progress and XPacks available that things here have been ticking along on BTB even if I haven't been. I have been away from the development for much much longer than planned for a number of reasons for which I will attempt to explain.

BTB was/is a labour of love for me; as said before I spent every spare moment working on this software in order to turn it into a tool that others could use. For many years part-time, and for over a year full time I worked on BTB whenever I could, even on holidays I would take the laptop with me. My hope that this time away from a full time job, in a well-paid position, would eventually be repaid through BTB sales.

So you can imagine my disappointment when sales, which were never great to begin with, suddenly declined to almost nothing. It was this period of time when someone brought to my attention that there was a pirated version of BTB on the internet. That was shattering and quite depressing.

As it was I had planned to return to full time work, my savings had almost depleted and having a family that depends on my income it was necessary to return to regular employment. During this time I reflected upon the previous few years of BTB-dedication. I realised I had in some ways neglected my own needs; in working such long hours I had gained weight, my health suffered and there were times when I was pouring over code instead of enjoying life with my wife and children.

Whilst BTB became far more powerful and we managed to release some great laser scanned tracks I had to wonder was it all really worth it? I decided to give myself a month off development and then see how I felt.

Climate Change - what does this have to do with BTB? Not much, but it did and will continue to impact on the spare time I have. Humans have enjoyed a relatively stable climate during this interglacial period for around the last 8,000 years, allowing us to advance like never before. Why risk that for cheaper dirty energy. It seems strange that we exchange our short term gain from coal fired power plants for the long term stability of the planet's ecosystem. I'm not usually one to get involved in politics, never liked politicians, but I feel passionately enough about the future of our planet, the ones that my kids will grow up in, to become more vocal about Australia's pathetic effort so far. Enough said for now - perhaps we can discuss more in an off-topic thread.

So a month went by, and I kept telling myself I would get back into BTB “soon”, but I never did to any great degree. Having the website hacked and my PC infected with a BOOT virus also made life miserable for a while. Other hobbies and pastimes were more emotionally rewarding. The months rolled on. I've been teaching myself piano for the past two years and I found spending an hour trying to master Clair de Lune far more satisfying than getting another BTB patch out, even if it was extremely self-indulgent. I also took the time to look after my health, I ate healthier, got fit, shed 15 kg and started Karate - even earned a recent gold medal (in my age division).

All this time the thought of having coded BTB for hundreds (maybe thousands??) of hours only to it ripped away by piracy has sat in the back of my mind. It's as close to depression as I would like to come - a glimpse of what people with severe depression might experience, except that I had great family support and other interests to keep me going.

Sadly this experience left me with less motivation for adding to BTB, or even interacting with the community. The number of people wanting to now run it on non-XP based platforms, the endless “you should support Vista/Win 7/Mac” and “if you add XXX feature then I will buy it” emails I got didn't help. So I totally switched off from BTB and everything related to it, and instead focussed on the more grounding aspects of my daily life.

That said, I do check my emails every couple of days and will help those who have genuine license issues running BTB under Windows XP, my email address is bob@bobstrackbuilder.net . I could be wrong but it appears most people with problems are running Vista/Win7 or have not bothered to contact me because of the experiences of some people. On a few occasions, impolite or abusive emails have been deleted without further correspondence. The same fate awaits those that spam my inbox multiple times in a short time period. I simply will not engage with anyone that is disrespectful or rude.

Now for the more cheery news.

I am preparing to relaunch the BTB Pro 0.8.9.0 beta version that had been under test. I now have Windows 7 x64 and BTB runs well on that. There has been no issue with the license system, but that doesn't mean it won't have issues running on other people's machines. I need more feedback from people on this and any bugs found so I will release the beta on the website and automate the licensing for that so anyone with a current BTB Pro license will be able to help test. More details to follow within days after I make some final changes.

Progress will be slow. I am still time-poor as I still have a regular job as well as the family and other commitments taking up time. Please continue to use this forum primarily rather than emailing me for personal advice.

Thanks to all that have given me support, I hope I can at least give something back by continuing BTB at whatever pace I can. Your patience is appreciated as is the great support of those people that are creating additional XPacks and new tracks.

If your looking to show your support for Brendon (maybe even speed up development) you can donate by logging into bobstrackbuilder.net. You can find the donate button under "your details"

Lets raise enough to get Brendon some real piano lessons.:tongue:

Welcome back. :)
It's good to see improvements in this tool, hope to see a demo version soon.
Are you aware of Unity? One of the community members there created a tool to import BTB tracks DIRECTLY into Unity. Guess they'll have to update that when the new version is released. ;)

Firstly Brendon, a huge welcome back.As you can see, this community has been thriving on efforts by dedicated members. As piece of mind to you, you and your product have been championed here time and again when there were negative people. I can tell you, this bunch here, we got your back and never ever endorsed any piracy whatsoever - you could say we never let it die and fought the good fight knowing you'd be back some day.What's also interesting to mention, during my build of Roy Hesketh last year, my life seemed to run a parallel to yours in a way. I used your tool to help create something I've been dreaming of doing for the longest time, I picked up the guitar again and learnt to play during thinking/processing phases and I also got into better shape as my family were also being neglected to a degree. Your software was part of my rebuilding!On to the subject of the planet and all of what we are doing to it, I have long been a fan of Midnight Oil and Peter Garret's efforts in conservation. He even helped make the St Lucia estuary here in South Africa a realisation.So its great to have you back, ignor the negativity, there is a bit, but there is mostly fond appreciation for your work here, lets help build a massive product!Cheers Mate!

Welcome home Brendon, congratulations on sorting out your life and your priorities.:thumb:
So remember to take several doses of real life per day and a little dose of BTB per week and you will be fine.
Did also notice your name popping up around the enviromental discussions around the place.

I lied when I promised in the "beta" thread that I would purchase another license of BTB upon release of an updated version; I just paid for my fourth copy of BTB!:thumbup:

Keep up the good work Brendon!

Best regards,
Gary

also here Brendon welcome back!

Everybody will excuse my poor Eng, but my idea now is to convert all proposals I read during the last 18 months in a real answer to the job Brendon made and again is making: TO PAY THE NEW INCOMING VERSION MUST BE OUR DUTY and our way to say thank you Brendon!
Sentences and nice words must be completed by this action. It is a due act to the people that give us thousands of happy hours making tracks and driving on them...

Please, somebody could start a poll where we can agree this idea, as well as Brendon could choose two different prices, one for upgrading to the new version and one to buy it as a new one. No idea at all about piracy (how to protect from... I think it is quite impossible), and at the same time I hope Brendon will find a way less complex than the actual to renew the license when you change part of the PC.

Glad to see you back Brendon.

If at any point you get btb to such a state whereby you want to modernise it, or at any point really, I would take the greatest of pleasure in creating some graphics/product identity, such as a new logo, some elements of the gui, jazz the website up a little, make a series of banners, or general promotion material.

All for the love it , of course

regards
and welcome back
pan.

Glad to see you back Brendon.

If at any point you get btb to such a state whereby you want to modernise it, or at any point really, I would take the greatest of pleasure in creating some graphics/product identity, such as a new logo, some elements of the gui, jazz the website up a little, make a series of banners, or general promotion material.

All for the love it , of course

regards
and welcome back
pan.

I was thinking this to myself too the other day :) im sure you can get alot of help in the community

Hello Brendon!! It's soooo great to see you back! I missed you so much and your effort to push BTB development to new heights...THAT I felt necessary to donate a little present via Paypal :) because I feel very bad about your news (BTB piracy, your family income,etc) I want you to know that I will always support BTB and continue to do so as long as you keep working on it, I will be there to support/donate/buy each new version you will release and I hope you will never loose faith in it and never stop working on it! Don't let those stupid hackers loose your hope, because we here (the community) will never let you down, we (the good ones) deserve more attentions than them (hackers) because what you created, you created for us, and it is a masterpiece and will always be...deep in our heart!!

I want you to know also that I feel very close to what you've passed by because it happens to me almost the same things. I felt very concerned about the climate change sometime ago (and we all should) when I was depressed and it was reflecting in my music (I play guitar) but don't let this fact ruin your life, there's a way to be sensitive to it and making change to our everyday life without thinking about this dark side of the moon.

Anyway, I think what we see here today, your personal history is a proof that with perseverance people can achieve everything they want to and I hope you learned from it and that your come back is as stronger as it can gets and will always be! I'm happy for you that you found a good balance between family, healthy life, and hobby!

Cheers,

jay

:)

Hi Brendon. Welcome back.
Make sure you are having fun as you progress with your updated btb efforts. If it aint fun, don't do it. When hobbies feel like work, it's real hard to get motivated (at least it has been for me).
I appreciate your efforts.

Hi Brendon. Welcome back.
Make sure you are having fun as you progress with your updated btb efforts. If it aint fun, don't do it. When hobbies feel like work, it's real hard to get motivated (at least it has been for me).
I appreciate your efforts.

+1000000

It's good to have you back, Brendon! I'm glad you're rested and in good spirits. That's the main thing. Everything else is unimportant.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%