Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
CVG had the following to report about GRID 2. Seems that after many years a sequel is in the making.
Race Driver: GRID released way back in 2008 and people liked it. A lot. So where the bloody hell's the sequel? It's coming, according to the Official Xbox Magazine UK.

The rumours page of the latest issue of OXM gives GRID fans a new reason to be excited. "The GRID team at Codemasters is actively working on GRID 2," says the magazine. "It's likely to arrive after the release of F1 2012."

F1 2012 is expected to hit shops in September, so it's possible Codies could be eyeing a late 2012 release for the currently unannounced sequel.
There have been whispers of a GRID 2 stretching back to 2010, so an announcement is overdue. But with Codemasters having recently made the shift to a dedicated racing development studio, we wouldn't be surprised to hear something more concrete soon.
Source: CVG

Mario Karts was the reason i got into GRID (the next step up) GRID was the reason i got into sim racing.

the first GRID was awesome, granted it was crap playing online due to the cheaters and wreckers, along with no dedicated servers, but it was still great fun, spending hours and hours playing privately with my friends through skype, doing drifting together, street racing and circuits.

I just hope GRID 2 is far more improved to physics and gameplay / cheat protection and cut protection.... kudos to CM for making a good game which has a fair share of pro's and cons, then again they only just started out and it quite showed for the next step they was taking for racing games (remember GRID ) has no protection at all, none, in todays world that will kill a company!

fingers crossed everything is improved and has some new features involved, but im hoping they do not get carried away with it.

Same with me. A grid racer for 3 months or so. I then spent £200 on a wheel and pedals, and 2 months later Codemasters stopped all the openservers overnight and, without a single comment.

Not really a gamer Grid took over my life of an evening. When it just stopped it left me, and my pockets, with an empty feel. It took two weeks to sink in before I looked on Youtube for anything similar. Nothing, to my mind.

That's when I decided to buy the Race series and to re-learn to drive. And, still learning!

Apart from the graphics and, excellent aerobatics when a player's tyre went pop, I liked the mini championship setup made up of a few races. Further more it was easy to set up a private race/championship using the Codemaster serverside.

Had Grid on xbox, could not drive the bloody thing with a wheel, handled better with a joypad but the car physics were so off more like arcade.
This is why I dreaded Codemasters coming out with F1 2010. They've come along way since then and Grid 2 should be more realistic to drive. I love the way they fitted the transition of a 24 hrs Le mans in 20mins.

I think the important news is the fact they are doing a SimBin and going back to there roots,,, think tocca /DTM2. It seemed to fall apart after that ...i liked Grid but DTM2 was way better.... this is what im wanting ...:D

i bought it a few months ago for my xbox, and although the physics were almost opposite forza 3 that i also had, i was hooked on it pretty quickly.
being in australia, we had the V8 supercars series instead of TOCA or DTM, but they had all the cars, and my memory of the last one was fantastic, so many different cars to choose from.
hopefully they can merge the best of all their games:
-the sheer amount of different cars of the old TOCA/DTM/V8 games
-the handling and rest of the F1 games
-the enjoyment of the drifting and le mans from the original GRID

i don't know about you guys, but thats what i'm looking for in it, and if it does have at least most of this stuff, you can be sure i'll be getting it

I think there is one important difference between those games you mentioned. When buying GRID I knew exactly what I purchased, a non-sim, while with the SHIFT series I was promised a sim with the most advanced physics, bla bla bla etc etc.

Lets hope that Codemasters straight forward sell us what it should be: casual fun. Thats all I expect from GRID2

i doubt very much itll be sim at all. Sure most of the Colin Mcrae games for PS2 were pretty realistic ( i thought ). Then they've had toca games which were good too!
then PS3 came out and theyve went downhill from there. and it looks like itll stay like that.
GRID 1 was shocking. at least they said it wasnt a sim.
Dirt 1 was alright. Dirt 2 was pure american, Dirt 3 was nothing great about it.
F1 2010 wasnt bad for first attempt! F1 2011 was big improvement but people still complain about it in only their 2nd try!!!! But at same time its still arcade ish. And we will not get a proper sim game for PS3. But we might for PS4 and new xbox.
So dont expect a sim Grid game is what i think

I think there is one important difference between those games you mentioned. When buying GRID I knew exactly what I purchased, a non-sim, while with the SHIFT series I was promised a sim with the most advanced physics, bla bla bla etc etc.

Lets hope that Codemasters straight forward sell us what it should be: casual fun. Thats all I expect from GRID2
I didn't mind if either was a non sim.... the fact that the physics were almost unplayable, IMO, with my Fanatec GT2 on xbox, is what burned me up.

I think the drifting should be scrapped, it's a fairly pointless form of racing. Give drifting its own game so I don't have to do it to get all the achievements.

It's indeed extremely pointless. Though I did have a lot of fun drifting cars in Grid. I wouldn't mind if they keep it in. As long as the drifting handles somewhat like the original Grid I'll be happy. Let's hope we won't get a NFS: Shift type drifting.. ugh. I'm not even lying when I say it's impossible to get a single car round a bend without spinning out. And the ugly thing is that you get more points for spinning out then you get for the actual drift..

Anyways it's time to forget about miserable NFS: Shift and praise Codemasters for Grid 2! Had countless hours of fun with the original. Wether it were the little touring cars, the GT1 cars, Le Mans Prototype or bangers they were all incredible. Just wow. Not sure how they managed to make such a fun game but I'm glad I played it.
I would be glad too if they continue the original TOCA series in what is to become Grid 2. They should make Grid 2 just like the original, but then sharper handling, more lifelike colours (get rid of the sepia filter) and introduce upgrades for cars like in the TOCA series.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.1%