1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Awful

Discussion in 'GRID Autosport' started by Austin Ogonoski, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Waste of $44.

It doesn't save control settings in between each session. I was re-configuring my wheel every time I loaded up the game. It also has microstutter issues that have been prevalent since DiRT Showdown a few years ago. Figures, it's using the same engine. To nit pick, it's even got the same frontend menu as Grid 2. Not a good sign.

What matters is the AI and driving model.

The AI is downright terrible. At Hockenheim, they were all going wide in T1, all the way onto the tarmac runoff, then checking up by 50 km/h and wildly swerving back onto the racing surface in sync, like a poor rFactor mod. When the AI was being a little more competent, they were constantly trying to run me off the track. I appreciate a bit of door banging because it's one thing you don't see in a whole lot of racing sims, but the AI is literally trying to kill you at every moment in Autosport. It's to an extent where it's not even fun; the AI is specifically out to get you as if this is Burnout.

The physics are brutal. I understand it's not a sim and I never expected it to be. In fact I loved the original Grid, as well as Race Driver 3, and was pretty hyped for this. What I don't understand is the need to brake from 250 feet out in a DTM-spec car, yet every other moment the car feels like it has 300% grip and is just as ridiculous as the original Grid. I had to restart the same race 5-6 times because I flat out could not figure out how to drive the car.

Singleplayer doesn't have any of the fun RPG teambuilding elements. It's just groups of races where you choose to drive the blue car or the green car for slightly different XP gains.

I wish I could take it back to the store and get a refund. It's awful, I wish I'd never bought it, and you're still better off playing Grid 1.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I disagree with all of what you said except the AI. They're brutal, they hit you a lot and spin you quite a bit. Im liking the game for what it is. Its clear they changed quite a bit from GRID 2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The AI being brutally incompetent and overly-aggressive is a pretty big issue when you're constantly surrounded by a full field of AI cars.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I did say I agreed with you on the AI part...

5. This game feels as unpolished as the rest of the Codemasters titles and the cameras are just bloody awful. In Grid 2 AgentHeX 0007 made a series of camera mods that work beautifully. I hope he will play Autosport too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

Braking is the *only* issue I have yet to figure out. You have to work with the settings to get open wheel to feel right.

But the A.I. are great. Ever played against NASCAR'14 A.I.? How about Race pro? The former actually steam roll you like a locomotive. It's like you are caught in a tornado. The latter are just pussies. These A.I. wreck, brake early, get bold with inside moves on you, block you, and race clean for the most part. It's like they all have little personalities. CM was right about that. None of them react the same way...and that's, well, intelligent. Just go watch a real race.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. In what way are the cameras so bad? Hadn't noticed anything like that from the videos I have seen so far. The cockpit view has been panned a bit which is a real pain as I only use that view but I would appreciate some clarification on what the problems are you refer to.

8. Rob

Rob

Camerawork could be better on the replays, but the ability to upload your race, T.V. style, instantly to youtube, is GREAT! for us console users.

• Beer Beer x 1
  9. That's sounds brilliant Robert, Forza had a similar facility on the XBO but it seemed a bit limited. Does this one allow full race uploads and can you save replays to you're HD too?

10. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

i didn't know about this feature....

I had a quick go last night and was frustrated (as expected) right from the start.
    The menus are unfamiliar and the settings are unfamiliar. The FFB seems uninformative (but i might need to change the settings to get a feel)
    The steering deadzone goes up in increments of 5... so 0% or 5% is your option. 0% makes the car zigzag left to right on the straights, and 5% seems too much of a deadzone, but it still doesn't completely get rid of the zigzaging.

Online was torturous to try and figure out, and when i did finally get to join a race i was bumpercared into a crash that did so much damage i had to constantly steer to the left in order to go straight.

I'm sure it will get better after i can get some more hours on it and figure out all the menus and cr@p. Hope the FFB was just a setting issue, and i hope the steering can be sorted out with settings as well.....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  11. Good to know another MS Wheel user with the game :). Have you found this 'floatiness' feel that has been referred to Karl? hat seems crazy to have deadzone at 5% increments, I usually have mine set to about 1 or 2% I think. @Railer Cantrell has a Madcatz FFB wheel that he has managed to find a nice feel with apparently so maybe he can offer some advice on the best settings to use.. not sure how comparable our wheels are but worth a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

I found the "feel" not there. FFB setting prob need to be changed, but i couldn't feel the road at all unless i was locking the brakes. I could feel the kerbs when i hit them, and i could feel the zigzag while i was trying to steer...
    Maybe it depends on the FFB and the car tuning settings... I don't know yet.

I have my FFB at 60/80/60 right now.

Let me know if you can feel the road when you get the game and also if you have the zigzaggy thing. Maybe my wheel is just getting worn out.... or maybe there is a glitch that will be sorted out (like the Race Pro "sign in with a controller then sign in with the wheel in order to get the FFB to work properly" thing)

• Beer Beer x 1
  13. Cheers Karl, always good to get some insight from someone with the same wheel. If you remember I had some serious issues about the feel of F1 after the patch so I am guessing this is similar. The deadzone is likely to be more of an issue though and moreso for those of us with no independant wheel / pedal settings so this appears to be something that really needs looking at by CM.

I'll let you know what I find once I have it but like I said it's probably not going ot be until next week sometime...

14. Rob

Rob

The MS Wheel is the only one that appears in the control menu, so you can select it and have the default settings apply. Karl, did you try this, because I thing the FFB needs to be much higher. Mine is way up there. I have no zig zag, but you might try fooling with the linearity instead of the deadzone. What you describe needs to be smoothed out, and a deadzone will not do this but I thing your default Lin is 1. TBH, the Touring cars feel like Race Pro to me. The Fanatec does help, but other MS Wheel users said they had no issues. Also, steering saturation needs to be 100%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  15. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

I'll check this out tonight... tbh it took me a while to figure out how to change from automatic to manual sooo it's quite possible that i missed that setting.
    It should detect the wheel automatically, but i'll check.

16. Rob

Rob

It's under "Advanced Wheel settings" in the menu. All of the F1 like adjustments are there. Besides that Advanced Wheel tag, you have one called "automatic wheel settings" or "default wheel" or something and YOUR wheel is the only one listed, but I largely stuck by that (except for maybe linearity and one other). My car is smooth as a baby's bottom on the straights and tight in the corners. I'm sure you will get there. FFB needs to be very high. When I first got on, I could hardly notice it also. Less so for open wheel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  17. Rob

Rob

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sorry to say that, but this game is crap. Already drove few cars on few tracks. Steering and FFB (Fanatec CSR recognized as Elite in game) is far from anything accepted. It's not even "forza physics" used in arcade Horizon. It's just dull and so similar in any car/class...Graphically it's mixed, some cars looks good, meantime cities, cockpits and crowds are a real shame...Sounds works acceptable, but nothing more.
    If You wish it'll offer entertainment level lets say beetwen Forza/GT or Shift 2, it's not gonna happen.

IMO nearest of fun, entertaining and well done game would be NCG, it's coming with really good ffb/physics, great audio-video and some perfect damage model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Just tried it a bit, can't say what I think of it yet but...
    It always amazes me how cheap they seem to be.
    They went for the circuit exclusive way, so we can say goodbye to Grid 2 races like Hong-Kong, California, Côte d'Azur... They could have kept them in a particular mode, honestly...

They gave us San Francisco back from Grid1 but they could have added Yokohama, Shibuya, Detroit, Long Beach... so many great tracks...

Perhaps they'll do something with DLC but I don't have much hope. I'm sure they prefer to throw in a copy-paste car with random values or some liveries.

20. I had stutters at first, but I unchecked the Steam Compability in Properties which was on, smooth as butter now.