F1 2010 Is the AI too easy?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, as I'm 5 races into my career and don't want to start again, but i've read on the Codemasters forum that even with AI on legends and all aids off the difficulty can be further affected by what answers you give in your pre season interview. One of the answers to one of the questions is "I want to test myself against the best" (or something close to that) if you choose that answer it is apparently harder.

I cant find the thread again at the moment, but as soon as i do i'll link to it.

I'm an experienced sim racer, am usually posting in the top 5 times of each week in the Radical and DP (and Lotus when i drive it) in iRacing and have won several netKar pro leagues, so I'm no slouch. I chose the "test myself against the best" answer to that question and am certainly not getting anywhere near to challenging for top 10 places in races (7 year career,Lotus, no aids, Legends AI. PC version with wheel) I've only made Q3 once, due to a wet Q2 where i stayed on slicks for ages and beat everyone by 2 secs (far to much grip for too long on slicks in the wet, but thats for a different thread ;) ) In normal dry conditions 13th is my best qual. position.
It may be that I'm just crap at arcade games, but I feel I'm pushing pretty bloody hard.

Anyhow, I'll try later to test the theory of whether what answers you give in your pre season interview affect the difficulty if i have time.

It would be good if others tried it and gave their feedback on this theory.

well im at Bahrain now [XBOX360] and with little practice I am doing roughly mid 2:03's. Lotus are doing high 03's, HRT are doing low/mid 03's and Virgin are doing high 03's. For me it is quite challenging, like I say I havnt made the effort to change the setups like I did on F1:06/CE (spent hours on them) but even if I did I reckon it would only be worth .6 or something. Loving it so far.

Your theory sounds very logical Stu :thumb: I can confirm that I have a hard time with the AI also and during the interviews with the F1 press I bragged a lot on how good i was and how much I wanted to achieve in F1 :)

@Sander: Seb Vettel lapped 1:57's on Bahrain in my session. I didn't even came close :)

I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, as I'm 5 races into my career and don't want to start again, but i've read on the Codemasters forum that even with AI on legends and all aids off the difficulty can be further affected by what answers you give in your pre season interview. One of the answers to one of the questions is "I want to test myself against the best" (or something close to that) if you choose that answer it is apparently harder.

I cant find the thread again at the moment, but as soon as i do i'll link to it.

I'm an experienced sim racer, am usually posting in the top 5 times of each week in the Radical and DP (and Lotus when i drive it) in iRacing and have won several netKar pro leagues, so I'm no slouch. I chose the "test myself against the best" answer to that question and am certainly not getting anywhere near to challenging for top 10 places in races (7 year career,Lotus, no aids, Legends AI. PC version with wheel) I've only made Q3 once, due to a wet Q2 where i stayed on slicks for ages and beat everyone by 2 secs (far to much grip for too long on slicks in the wet, but thats for a different thread ;) ) In normal dry conditions 13th is my best qual. position.
It may be that I'm just crap at arcade games, but I feel I'm pushing pretty bloody hard.

Anyhow, I'll try later to test the theory of whether what answers you give in your pre season interview affect the difficulty if i have time.

It would be good if others tried it and gave their feedback on this theory.

I answered the question the same as you, but you can change the various difficulty levels yourself after that anyway, which I did and checked I had everything as difficult as possible. I chose Lotus and 50% race distance, I too was running 2.02's for maybe 10 - 15 laps in practice and then something clicked, I understood how to drive the cars, becasue it is different to other racing games I play. Managed a 1.58 in Q2, which had me sixth, but couldn't put a lap together in Q3, pusing too hard, so started tenth. Got upto third in the race and then pitted one lap early to avoid the pit stop bug but the AI must have thought the same :D and I got held in the pits and came out last so quit out.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Webber took pole with a 1:56.9xx

I'm with Stu on this one, similar times and places in qualy (tho the pit bug has nailed me hard in my first 2 races). I think alot has to do with race distance as well perhaps, i'm also running 50% distance.

Neil, could you explain what just "clicked"?? I know at melbourne i started to freely toss the car around more and seemed to gain some time. Curbs arent as scary as they are in the DP on iracing lol. I do feel i'm getting realistic results for a Lotus tho, which makes it fun. Tho to get in RBR and have the game click i may hate myself lol.

I'm with Stu on this one, similar times and places in qualy (tho the pit bug has nailed me hard in my first 2 races). I think alot has to do with race distance as well perhaps, i'm also running 50% distance.

Neil, could you explain what just "clicked"?? I know at melbourne i started to freely toss the car around more and seemed to gain some time. Curbs arent as scary as they are in the DP on iracing lol. I do feel i'm getting realistic results for a Lotus tho, which makes it fun. Tho to get in RBR and have the game click i may hate myself lol.

It's difficult to say really. I think initially I was trying to drive the game the way I thought it should be driven from previous race game experience. And I did find it frustrating initially. The best advice I can give is let the game come to you, let it show how it should be driven rather than you bullying it into submission. Like you I now throw the car around a lot more than I did whilst still being careful becasue you can spin in an instant and it's tough to save it. I guess I've just worked out how the game drives. It's important to get the car balanced and gripped up before you apply full throttle. If you do there is a lot of grip and you can corner very quickly but if you don't get it gripped up and apply full throttle is just doesn't happen and you understeer.

I know that's all very vague but I can't really put it into words. Like any racing game it's hard to describe how you do it as it normally comes pretty naturally.

The AI just doesn't feel right. As a matter of fact, I think the AI ruins the entire career mode for me. The career mode itself has the promise of some fantastic racing, but it's ruined by a very unreliable and unbalanced AI.

The thing is just so unpredictable that it takes all the fun away. I drive on the Legend level with all aids off, and I simrace quite a lot. But this is so anoying that it sometimes makes me want to take my F1 2010 copy and throw it out the window.

When a car in front of me gets ahead by barely a second, there is no way I can catch up again. The bastards are just gone. The people behind same thing, but switched. Once I can get a small lead, I'm able to run away quite easily. And when I should a make a mistake and fall behind them you would think that I could at least hang on to them since I was faster then them, but nooooooooo, off they go in the distance.

Plus I always have the feeling when I'm driving alone with no one around me, that all cars suddenly start picking up this insane speed. Yesterday I was racing at Malaysia, when I got dropped back after my pitstop. I was 13th or so, but when exiting the pit I was second to last. In front of me was my team mate who must be the slowest car in the whole game most of the time (di grassi), but the guy just kept on driving the same laps as Vettel did in front. I kept pushing and pushing, but every lap I lost about 1.5 seconds on him...

Tried Shanghai just now, and again same story. I was 8th, and it started to rain in lap 4. I deceided to go in for full wets to try and get the jump on everyone, but it kinda didn't work out. WHen I came in the pit Hamilton must have been between 2 and 3 seconds behind me. When he pitted for tires 4 laps later, the guy comes out more then 7 seconds in front of me! Even Senna, who pitted the next lap, was miles ahead of me when he exitted, leaving me in last place yet again, just like in Malaysia. Where the hell is the fun in this?

I really like the way the cars drive. I really do. And the career mode had the promise of something amazing, but it just gets raped by the ever so anoying AI. It just doesn't make sense. The AI in GP4 was even better then this, and much more fair.

I read at some places that it might have to do with the fact that you don't have a legal copy, so the AI doesn't work that well. I downloaded F1 2010 a couple of days before I was able to buy it in the stores and I couldn't wait anymore, but now I have a legal version, and it's still ever so crap.

there was mention on the CM boards (i think) about finding a rubberbanding file. I wonder if some of the oddities with pace in the career is due to some odd rubberbanding. This is certainly not something you want on the highest difficulty, who knows.

At the end of the races i've been satisfied with my placement, despite the bugs/quirks. I mean i'm driving a lotus, i shouldnt be challenging for top 10 generally (tho i've been close b4 the pit stop bugs).

What i was rather bumbed to not see is some sort of post race lap chart. At least then i could see why i suddenly lost places, or where another driver picked up his pace.

Well there's the catchup.xml file in the ai subfolder which contains some "catchup" variables. Sadly it doesn't convert with binXml or I would have long tested it's effect by now. The values are not zero (or one, for factors), so I'm guessing it is active. Maybe someone can figure out how to conver the slightly differen binary xml format and we can start editing.

• Paul Iddon

Well this is my first racing game since Crammond's GP2, and I was naff then, and to be quite honest, after an hour's play tonight, I'm even worse now than then!!!
q69.gif

Looks nice though.

Paul.

OMG....i might throw this game out the window. lol. I dont mind the driving, but wth is going on with the AI. go into pits 9th, come out 17th. but never regain a spot??? huh. lol. Shelfing this one for a while till a patch comes out.

Originally Posted by iamPADDY
It's because the qualifying times are fake. Read this:

"@T4RG4 Love the game, but 1 question;why don't you use real times in quali and practice? I caught Webber on track, but his time was faster?!"

"@Noelinho Because we couldn't make them compete in Qualy this time out Looking to sort that though"

Which basically means qualifying is a giant waste of time - you're racing against a timesheet that's already been printed. It seems that they couldn't be bothered to make the qualifying times anywhere near as quick as race pace, which is where the issue here stems from.

Originally Posted by iamPADDY
It's because the qualifying times are fake. Read this:

"@T4RG4 Love the game, but 1 question;why don't you use real times in quali and practice? I caught Webber on track, but his time was faster?!"

"@Noelinho Because we couldn't make them compete in Qualy this time out Looking to sort that though"

Which basically means qualifying is a giant waste of time - you're racing against a timesheet that's already been printed. It seems that they couldn't be bothered to make the qualifying times anywhere near as quick as race pace, which is where the issue here stems from.

Perhaps the worst corner cutting (black and white flag for them) i've seen in a game for quite sometime.

Its clearly too slow. Playing on expert.. after i had spent some hours with the game.. started my career again with Virgin.. and in first race finished 4th, and almost higher but spun once. I really like some parts of the game but seems the more i play it the more the issues start getting to me. Now i even have an issue where it seems to crash a lot and i need to reboot before i can set it to hardware sound again (only way for no controller lag for me).
:(

The AI just doesn't feel right. As a matter of fact, I think the AI ruins the entire career mode for me. The career mode itself has the promise of some fantastic racing, but it's ruined by a very unreliable and unbalanced AI.

The thing is just so unpredictable that it takes all the fun away. I drive on the Legend level with all aids off, and I simrace quite a lot. But this is so anoying that it sometimes makes me want to take my F1 2010 copy and throw it out the window.

When a car in front of me gets ahead by barely a second, there is no way I can catch up again. The bastards are just gone. The people behind same thing, but switched. Once I can get a small lead, I'm able to run away quite easily. And when I should a make a mistake and fall behind them you would think that I could at least hang on to them since I was faster then them, but nooooooooo, off they go in the distance.

Plus I always have the feeling when I'm driving alone with no one around me, that all cars suddenly start picking up this insane speed. Yesterday I was racing at Malaysia, when I got dropped back after my pitstop. I was 13th or so, but when exiting the pit I was second to last. In front of me was my team mate who must be the slowest car in the whole game most of the time (di grassi), but the guy just kept on driving the same laps as Vettel did in front. I kept pushing and pushing, but every lap I lost about 1.5 seconds on him...

Tried Shanghai just now, and again same story. I was 8th, and it started to rain in lap 4. I deceided to go in for full wets to try and get the jump on everyone, but it kinda didn't work out. WHen I came in the pit Hamilton must have been between 2 and 3 seconds behind me. When he pitted for tires 4 laps later, the guy comes out more then 7 seconds in front of me! Even Senna, who pitted the next lap, was miles ahead of me when he exitted, leaving me in last place yet again, just like in Malaysia. Where the hell is the fun in this?

I really like the way the cars drive. I really do. And the career mode had the promise of something amazing, but it just gets raped by the ever so anoying AI. It just doesn't make sense. The AI in GP4 was even better then this, and much more fair.

I read at some places that it might have to do with the fact that you don't have a legal copy, so the AI doesn't work that well. I downloaded F1 2010 a couple of days before I was able to buy it in the stores and I couldn't wait anymore, but now I have a legal version, and it's still ever so crap.

I could not agree more! I've got the PS3 version (obviously legit) and the G25 wheel. I had all aids off, AI on legendary and 40% race distances. In practice and qualifying the pace seems spot on difficulty wise, in that in my Virgin I'm generally hovering between 16th-22nd. Then in the race I drive a realistic race pace (i.e. 1-2 seconds slower than my qualy pace) and after a few laps I'm usually quite competitive maintaining position. However before long (usually about 4 laps in) the AI goes nuts with seemingly the entire field (including the HRTs and Di Grassi) picking up pace until they are ALL lapping 3 seconds a lap quicker than me with times good enough for pole?

It makes racing almost pointless seeing as there is no way I can compete with that and they all just bugger off into the distance leaving me trundling round (still at a decent pace based on qualifying) all alone just watching the only timing info I have which tells me they are 3 seconds a lap quicker!

When they lap me I think, 'great at least I'll have a chance to shadow them and see where I'm losing time'. Unfortunately what seems to be happening is they have about an extra 100bhp! I match them in the braking zones but on the exit of corners they just drive away even when I get on the power first, full throttle with no wheel spin!

I could cope with that if it was just the top teams as it would be realistic. However Lotus and even HRT have way more traction and horsepower so I basically just feel cheated as there seems to be nothing I can do. I hardly ever get any R&D challenges to improve the car (once in 5 races) so there seems little point in continuing. I even tried changing my throttle pedal saturation just in case I wasn't getting full input but that made no difference. I really hope they fix it but the problem would seem pretty fundamental poor AI design rather than a simple bug.

Such a shame.

Did my first proper race today, 20 laps on bahrain, driving for lotus with the car set to expert and AI set to "I want to challenge myself against the very best" i did not see any AI difficulty other than the start press conference. Heres what i thought.

1. AI are very slow in the first sector of this track, giving me plenty of overtaking opportunities, however some of the drivers are dangerous for this reason, some cars jiggle around erratically in this area, i had a 5 place penalty from practice for this reason, it was also the cause of a damaged wing in the race as a car swerved over to me. In the rest of the track the AI are alot faster than me, i cant seem to keep up with them on the straights, not even against the virgins/hrt's

2. I started the race in 24th (5 grid drop, i qualified 20th with a 2.02.4) but managed to work my way up to 15th which i held for a way, however battles with other cars saw me damage my wing and lose a few positions down to 19th. I managed to stay out until my tires needed changing and had a battle with schumacher (very rough he is...) and passed him in 1st sector, then i pit.

Come out of the pit in 23rd place, so lost a few spots with the damaged wing, pushed on and got myself back up to 18th place until a crazy move by kobayashi at the first corner (after he left the pits) caused me to go off the track and again lose position, down to 20th place which i then held for the rest of the race.

A few mistakes on my part, the physics is hard to drive as you feel nothing through the wheel, and the car does a sorta spin on the spot from the middle over curbs, even without the throttle on. We all know the physics or FFB arent exactly the best so i wont bang on about that.

Overall it was a pretty fun race, i wish the AI was not so dangerous, but they certaintly are fast enough, i'd probably have not done so well if it wasnt for the big advantage i had in S1.

Karun Chandok is by far the fastest of the new teams, he and his HRT were out of my league as i could not keep up on the straights and he nailed the corners, he qualified the fastest of the new teams and finished 15th ahead of hamilton.

Last thoughts:

If they let you control your own car in the pit (current system is very clumbsy), and fixed some of the stupid physics things (Car spinning out without throttle on very randomly) then the game would be pretty good, its a good game i just think they could have made it alot better. If they dumped a FVA type physics engine into this they could still tone it down for casual gamers but still have the simulation option for the more hardcore racers. I enjoy this game but i don't really enjoy driving the car that much, i would find no fun out of just driving around on my own as the car feels rather dead with the weak FFB that the game provides.

• Frankantz

Something is definitely up with AI when opponents lose their front wing and are STILL faster than you! In fact they seem to get faster like the shedding of weight helps! Also it takes them no time at all to get right up to speed again when they spin.
I'm finding the game unreasonably hard on EASY.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%